Should agency get a cut of overtime bonus?

Hey guys,

Appreciate that there’s likely no universal answer to this question as different agencies and contracts operate to different agreements, but still interested to hear opinions.

I’ve been working on the same contract for eight months now. Don’t mind being on the agency as I get 50p an hour more than most of the regular drivers and have the flexibility to take time off when I want (offset by getting the crap jobs and early starts at short notice due to not having my own run).

I didn’t think I got overtime like regular drivers until I logged into the agency’s portal for the first time the other day and saw I’m getting the grand sum of 25p an hour (which I didn’t notice amongst the fluctuating pension payments).

I’m more annoyed than if I wasn’t getting it tbh as it possibly means the agency are getting a bonus of 1.5x my hourly rate from the end client and giving me only 25p.

My consultant is going to speak to the boss and come back to me later today so need to think how best to approach and what I want out of it.

To be clear, this isn’t a bonus from agency but is a bonus from the end client which is paid to the drivers (not yet confirmed if agency are getting the full 1.5x hourly rate).

What does your agreement with the agency say you should be getting? What does their agreement with the client say they should be getting?

Assuming the answer to both questions is “What I/they am already receiving” then there isn’t anything more to say.

Surely, as long as your receiving payment as per your terms with the agency, there’s nothing to think about.

Whatever arrangement the agency has with the operator is really not your concern.

Just my thoughts, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Roymondo:
What does their agreement with the client say they should be getting?

They’re not going to tell you that

Peter Smythe:
Surely, as long as your receiving payment as per your terms with the agency, there’s nothing to think about.

Whatever arrangement the agency has with the operator is really not your concern.

Just my thoughts, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pretty much what I was trying to say. As a full time employee, the arrangements my employer (including bonuses for good performance and penalties when things go wrong) has with the companies whose goods I deliver is of no relevance to me - My pay is set by the terms of the contractual agreement between me and my employer. There is no reason it should be any different for someone employed by an agency.

ETS:

Roymondo:
What does their agreement with the client say they should be getting?

They’re not going to tell you that

That was (partly) my point - it’s of no concern of the employee.

Agencies are there to make money. The more they can make and the less work they have to do for it, the better.
I remember being on one placement where I was paid £10p/h, but the agency was charging £25p/h for me. This was meant to be a temp to perm role, with a contract after 12 weeks but the company couldn’t make any attempt to take me on sooner or the agency would charge them £5000 as effectively a finders fee

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Well, I had a bit of a grumble to my sultan and I’m now getting an extra few quid after 8hrs work. Happy with that…

Consultant not sultan!

I take people’s point about the agency’s arrangement being none of my business. However, on the other hand, I’ve been at current client for eight months and it chafes a little knowing the guy in the truck next to me is getting 50% more than me after eight hours. At this stage, the agency do nothing, I deal completely with the end client (although admittedly they sourced the job for me).