Severn Crossings toll free from monday

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46539162

Work to remove the toll booths on the Severn bridges will start later as the two motorway crossings into south Wales prepare to go toll free.

Drivers have been warned their journeys into south Wales may be affected as the M4 Prince of Wales bridge will shut westbound for the next three nights.

The toll has been in place since the first crossing opened in 1966, but will be removed on Monday.

About time. New forth road bridge is free. So why cant others follow . Suit.
Or better still just make m6 toll free.
will soon ease congestion around Birmingham save them spending money on smart motorways junction upgrades etc in the area as won’t be needed as much then

Same problem here with everlasting tolls. The Gateway (now renamed the Sir Leo Heilsher or something) bridge was built in 1982. A new one was built right beside it and now we are still paying for the bloody thing, to a private company.

edd1974:
Or better still just make m6 toll free.

The M6 Toll road is privately owned so removing the toll fees isn’t an option unless the government buy the road.

Sent from my mobile.

Going to make some of my days a bit easier, but remains to be seen what the knock on effect is for other roads leading to Severn Bridge even 50 or 100 miles away as lorries especially veer away from the M50 route.
Like the A14, if the Severn Bridge becomes too popular a route it might very much be time of day dependent which of the two routes into South Wales are favoured.

I’m pleased for the Welsh contingent of lorryists though, got to cause a wave effect into Wales wage wise, as travelling to better paid Avonmouth becomes more cost effective, people living nearer to the bridge but in Wales have told me that house demand rose in the area soon as the announcement was made.

You do realise this means the PM kept her word about something :open_mouth:

I live about 8 miles from the bridge on the Welsh side but still in Englandshire.
Our house has risen as estimated £30k since the announcement. Lucky really as we only moved here just over a year ago and we couldn’t have afforded it at today’s prices.

I do worry about the state of Chepstow though. It’s a nightmare in the mornings as it is, add a load of extra people travelling to Avonmouth each day, there is going to be serious problems.

Will save us best part of £400k p/a as a guesstimate, but probably nearer half a mill If actual truck movements to Chepstow day & night from every depot south of Edinburgh were taken into account…what happens if the tag has a load of credit on still? Has that been trousered already or will it all be refunded? Can I keep the TAG as a ‘momento’? :slight_smile:

Can we keep this quite, so I can still claim the toll, till they realize it’s free…

Tag refunds will commence Jan 2nd.
All the info is here.

severnbridge.co.uk/Home.asp … -process62