Second Interview

Conor:
The best driving jobs with the best pay and terms and conditions are with companies that don’t make their money from haulage, i.e companies who make stuff and run their own wagons.

What that means though is that the interview process won’t be one from the 1960s like it is with haulage and will be one done in the way that modern successful blue chip companies with working practices fit for the 21st Century not the 19th use. If you’d rather have them from the 1960s and not this type of interview process then fine but don’t expect to get a job with decent companies who don’t use employment practices in play when Victoria was on the throne.

I never realised Queen Victoria was on the throne in the 1960s.

Conor:
The best driving jobs with the best pay and terms and conditions are with companies that don’t make their money from haulage, i.e companies who make stuff and run their own wagons.

That’s the job I’ve got and you’re spot on.
I had 2 interviews to get it. One was with the TM and the second was with her and the no. 1 driver who looks after the wagons and basically runs us operationally to see if he thought I was made of the right stuff.
Maybe they’re doing this?

Nobody ever wants to name these top class companies and jobs…how much is it 30, 40, 50,000 k a year…Come on spill.

Biglew74:
They’re only a small company that are growing fast, I’d rather not say who it is, the salary and bonuses what’s on offer are excellent which is why they’re so stringent probably.

Back to my original question, what is to be expected in a panel interview? I thought I pretty much covered everything in the first interview.

Are the pay and conditions so outstanding that a small company can spare 3 managers on two occasions? In general, second interviews in routine jobs (or even a single interview with a panel) are not a sign of high job quality, they are a sign of the pretenses of management who feel that they have enough bargaining power to run a beauty contest, or a sign that the job quality is actually so poor that the management know that they need to find the most subordinate workers in the market possible.

sammym:
Panel interviews are usually used so that you can get multiple perspectives on a particular candidate. I’ve had them before where I’ve had three individual meetings with directors (same day) and then a group ‘chat’. Usually, you have a first-round culling and then people you are taking seriously get the ‘investment’ of time to be taken seriously in this way.

Fundamentally they will just want to know if you can do the job, if you are the right fit for the company - and that you really want to work there.

Talk about your experience as a driver to show you can do the job. Give examples of your professionalism (make them up if needed) pointing out where you’d done something exceptional to get the job done properly. I’d probably wear a suit for this level of interview - if they are making you jump through these hoops it’s obviously what they want. But I’d judge it on how they dress really. If they wear a tie you should in this situation.

In terms of company fit - you want to appear confident, relaxed and level headed. Someone who can be relied upon. I’d throw in plenty of examples of teamwork (say you play a team sport etc…) give examples of your own time management etc… Don’t come across as arrogant. But definitely, aim to be confidence. It’s hard to believe in someone who doesn’t believe in themselves.

Finally they will inevitably ask you if you have any questions at the end. Do not interupt them with your questions before this. They will have a list of questions they want answering. However this is the chance you have to show them how much you want to work for. Ask about when they want someone to start. And IF you have the balls the last questions should be: ‘is there any reason I’m not perfect for this role?’. It’s great because it gives you a chance to iron out any doubts before you leave the room and most people won’t have the balls to do it and it will make you stand out.

Good luck with the interview. And feel free to ignore my ‘advice’ it works for me - and has done in different fields.

In other fields your advice would be generally right. If you’re going for a job in sales, you need to appear confident and relaxed meeting strangers under pressure. If you’re going for a job in management, you need to get along with peers.

But for a lorry driver, is it any help to play team sports, when for most of the day you are sitting on your arse and working alone for long hours, being expected to work things out for yourself? If you’re being expected to sleep in a wagon in a lay-by, is it valuable to show that you take exceptional care of your appearance? If you’ve got 25 years under your belt as a driver, do you really need to show that you “believe in yourself”?

I wonder whether this mentality is why many companies, when inexperienced HR personnel attempt to recruit directly, complain that they can’t find anyone! :laughing:

STAR is a commonly used technique for panel interviews, you are asked a question and give the answer describing the Situation, Task, Action and Result… Might be worth a bit of quick research, even if it is not used it could help you out if you are hit with a couple of tricky questions.
Good Luck !!

You really can’t win, on the one hand everyone complains about feeling like they are simply a number in a firm, the planners are up their own jacksy and as a driver you are banished out of the office and considered not worthy. Then a company like this takes the time out to recruit the type of driver that they may well respect more as they are giving you a bit of time and treating you like most jobs would treat you. Everyone then complains over this. I say more of this kind of recruitment as I see it as a good thing. Maybe a turn around in thoughts that a driver is worth giving time to and they get to know that you are worthy. Even if it gives the impression that they care can only have a positive effect on the driver.

Without wishing to drop the race card H bomb into this, do you think that maybe they are looking for someone who can hold a fluent conversation in English with their existing customers? Although in the interests of balance I’ve encountered plenty of home grown cabbages who would struggle with that.

I would’nt work for anybody that did"panel interviews"

commonrail:

I’ve got mixed feelings on it tbh, it could on one hand be a sign that the company is very much pompous and up its own arse with a very much top heavy management structure who believe their own hype (as Rjan succinctly and mercifully briefly :smiley: alluded to) or alternatively they could very well be a very forward looking Co who value each and every employee as a “team member” and as such offer wages and incentives that reflect that ethos. If it was me I’d go along to the interview and would in fact interview them to ascertain if they were worthy of my efforts. :wink:

commonrail:

And they wouldn’t employ you… They want someone who is willing to act professionally and take the job seriously enough to be willing to meet managers and express themselves in the appropriate way.

Only in driving do people think they should turn up with food stains down their clothes, with yellow teeth and stinking and be offered a job paying 30k plus.

I do alright

123smith:
STAR is a commonly used technique for panel interviews, you are asked a question and give the answer describing the Situation, Task, Action and Result… Might be worth a bit of quick research, even if it is not used it could help you out if you are hit with a couple of tricky questions.
Good Luck !!

You’ve just put it in a nutshell, another modern management acronym/ buzzword, aka pure ■■■■■■■■.
That would put me off the firm rather than encourage me to go and work for them.

As for UKt’s comments,.as I said before, as long as the ends justify the means, (maybe in this case they do) yeh, let them have their little games, and play along, I would maybe endure it, but not for 7O+ hours @ 9 quid an hour or such crap, no.

the maoster:

commonrail:

I’ve got mixed feelings on it tbh, it could on one hand be a sign that the company is very much pompous and up its own arse with a very much top heavy management structure who believe their own hype (as Rjan succinctly and mercifully briefly :smiley: alluded to) or alternatively they could very well be a very forward looking Co who value each and every employee as a “team member” and as such offer wages and incentives that reflect that ethos. If it was me I’d go along to the interview and would in fact interview them to ascertain if they were worthy of my efforts. :wink:

I agreed with Rjan on that one as well.

I’d certainly not have a problem as a driver if they want a second interview, their pitch, their rules. However, I’m no fan of all these management techniques/bollox, looking at the quality of middle management that some of my customers have recruited following a full day of various interview palava and a large number are staggeringly incompetent, both in terms of their ability to carry out the functions of their job title and in their ability to manage and interact with people.

albion:

the maoster:

commonrail:

I agreed with Rjan on that one as well.

I’d certainly not have a problem as a driver if they want a second interview, their pitch, their rules. However, I’m no fan of all these management techniques/bollox, looking at the quality of middle management that some of my customers have recruited following a full day of various interview palava and a large number are staggeringly incompetent, both in terms of their ability to carry out the functions of their job title and in their ability to manage and interact with people.

All the above are looked upon as qualifications rather than drawbacks for these type of ‘management with illusions’ (or delusions :smiley: ).type knob heads. :smiley:

I would never work for an up their own ring company that expects hoops like that to be jumped through. I’ll take a man to man conversation without buzzwords and CVs.

No micro management here, no pish like driver trainers or made up jobs like compliance managers either.

As in all walks of life an interview is more about if someone would fit in. Also don’t forget if someone is put in as in charge of transport and they interview someone who obviously knows the job better than them they probably aren’t going to recruit him / her as they could be seen as a threat to their meager knowledge. Seen too many managers and teachers who haven’t a clue surrounding themselves who have even less of a clue.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Who cares how many intereviews it takes if the job is well paid good T&C`s and you want the job,one mans meat is another mans poison.
You only have look at some of the replies the guy has had to see that

lolipop:
Who cares how many intereviews it takes if the job is well paid good T&C`s and you want the job,one mans meat is another mans poison.
You only have look at some of the replies the guy has had to see that

All well and good but the OP wont say who and how much it will be . So is it really that good!!!.

I had a ‘panel’ interview at my last job, there was a driver, a manager and a coordinator from the office asking questions and all three had to say yes to you being hired or you were turned away. It was interesting but after i got to know Wendy the coordinator she said one of her little tricks when assessing a new driver was to look at his finger nails, if they were clean it meant he looked after his wagon and that meant he was a good driver. :sunglasses: