seat belts

could someone please help regarding vehicles not fitted with seatbelts.i drive a x reg iveco that has never been fitted with belts .im having a running battle with the transport manager that they should be fitted.everyone seems to interprate the law as they see it .

Coffee will answer this one !!! :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll give it a go Critic… :wink: :smiley:

As far as I remember vehicles over 3,500KGs first used after 1st March 2001 have to be fitted with belts. Prior to that there was no legal requirement for them to be fitted and there is also no requirement for them to be retrofitted.

Note that if they are fitted to vehicles first used before 01/03/2001 then they must be worn.

Worn as in the driver should wear the belt not as in worn out. :wink: :smiley:

I know what you mean Peter, I sometimes have the same problem. Whenever I get given an older wagon with no seatbelts fitted I defect it, my argument is - never mind the legal points, any firm with any considerations for the health and safety of it’s workers should not be hiring/owning vehicles with no seatbelts in this day and age.

Whether you agree or not, it winds up the boss big time :laughing: :laughing:

Jules

Coffeeholic:
I’ll give it a go Critic… :wink: :smiley:

As far as I remember vehicles over 3,500KGs first used after 1st March 2001 have to be fitted with belts. Prior to that there was no legal requirement for them to be fitted and there is also no requirement for them to be retrofitted.

just checked TMOH 2004 (aka TM’s bible) - it says
“Legislation requiring compulsory fitment of seat belts in new goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes gross weight came into effect from 1 October 2001”

Thanks Denis, I knew it was 2001 but the month did escape me.

thanks everybody for the replies,coulndt agree more jules regarding health & safety .big wind up for sombody tomorrow.

thanks everybody for the replies and help.couldnt agree more jules regarding health& safety,big wind up coming somebodys way tomorrow.