Rigid towing a trailer up to 3.5 tonne

As above ,can one be towed without paying trailer tax and paying the extra insurance ? the rigid will not exceed its gross vehicle weight when towing in this case .

Punchy Dan:
As above ,can one be towed without paying trailer tax and paying the extra insurance ? the rigid will not exceed its gross vehicle weight when towing in this case .

Cannot help with that bit but it will need +E on the licence

ROG:

Punchy Dan:

Cannot help with that bit but it will need +E on the licence

That bits ok thanks .

Tax bands are based on the lower of the gross train weight or GVW of rigid + GVW of trailer, so if adding the 3.5 tons on puts you into the next band there will be extra tax to pay.

You would need to notify your insurance company about the trailer. Some may charge an additional premium, others may not.

I thought trailer tax was £230 which I’ve already paid but won’t be paying again hopefully as the only trailer I wish to tow will be a less than 3.5 tonne occasionally due to space issues rather than Weight .

I think if the trailer is less than 4000kgs no extra road tax is required, look at page 3 on V149
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 170316.pdf
Cant help with insurance.

I think pig pen is correct. A trailer below 4000kg has no road tax (or whatever it is called now) implications. We very regularly tow a 3.5t trailer behind a 10t gross rigid and this brings it up to the full gross train weight of 13.5t. allowed on the plate. Been stopped several times and nothing ever mentioned, in regard to road tax anyway :unamused:

manski:
I think the 4000kg also corresponds with the point at which a trailer has to have “real brakes” ie not overrun brakes but proper air or hydraulic brakes linked to the truck.

Trailers over 3500kg must be fitted with air or hydraulic brakes

Unless you like giving money to the government I can’t imagine anyone would ever notice if you didn’t, in any case.

whelmic:
Trailers over 3500kg must be fitted with air or hydraulic brakes

Yes you are absolutely right, apologies for posting incorrect / out of date information :blush: Deleted it now.