Removal of Fifth Wheel Grease

Dont be such a messy little trucker.

This is the start of the real learning Andy.

Because it is the blackest grimiest grease you will find, it is very difficult to remove.
If you get your own truck, clean the suzie lines with Gunk or Jizer and a cloth.

lower your suspension before going under the trailer to avoid pushing it off the plate.

If you have the old D shape handle on the fifth wheel cut a short piece of Webbing Strap. Spanset and fasten it around the handle, It will save you getting so close to the trailer and plate.

Oh and buy your Jeans from Tesco :stuck_out_tongue:

Soak them in soda crystals!!! it works for me…

Swarfega, and a bit of elbow grease (the non graphite based variety :laughing: )

Mmm, very interesting variation of answers there :confused: :confused: … some of you saying that there absolutly no way of gettin git out, and some of you that have managed…

Well, the amount of hitching and unhitching I do at the moment, I cant stop to put overalls on everytime… I wouldnt get anything done!!.. :laughing: :laughing: LOL Plus, I hitch up to loads of different trailiers, but so does everyone else, so there is always lots of grease on the trailer lip thats been scraped off the fifth wheel. :unamused: :unamused:

I have a uniform from work that I wear, so its not like I am using my own jeans and ruining them, so thats a bonus… :wink:

But as they are only two weeks old, I thought I would have a go at cleaning them. I managed to get a lot of it out using BioTex spray… which is pretty awsome… but still didnt get it totaly out… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanx for the replys, there are some other things I will be trying that some of you have suggested, so I’ll let ya know how I get on… :wink: :wink:

Ohh my God this has always been one of my favourite topics! LOL I left mother and baby group because there were too many conversations about how to get your whites, whiter than white for me to feel comfortable. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
But on a serious note,been as it’s you AndyM :wink: Percil liquid tabs and set your machine on a Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome wash and usually most stains come out. :laughing:

Ladytrucker679:
set your machine on a Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome wash

Always wondered what that button was for! :laughing:

I have fallen foul of the grease stains being new to the Bendy Wagon. Although now, after a few weeks and a few stains I have learnt some of the techniques to keeping clean at work.

I bet I’ll get covered at work tomorrow :unamused:

Lost pup say’s

I have fallen foul of the grease stains being new to the Bendy Wagon. Although now, after a few weeks and a few stains I have learnt some of the techniques to keeping clean at work.

I bet I’ll get covered at work tomorrow :unamused:
[/quote]

You need to share those techniques because I only have to walk past a wagon and I get covered! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Hi Andy

I know this will sound strange, But try putting a little white wine Vinigar into a glass of orange oil ( you get it in Homebase) mix together then put it in to a bowl of hot water and soak your clothes overnight.

WORKED FOR MY GRANDAD FOR YEARS. His Job was greasing up Fifth wheels.

AMMO :bulb:

I have found beer helps.

After 3 or 4 pints I stop worrying about the grease anyway’ :smiley: :smiley:

ammo:
Hi Andy

I know this will sound strange, But try putting a little white wine Vinigar into a glass of orange oil ( you get it in Homebase) mix together then put it in to a bowl of hot water and soak your clothes overnight.

Now theres an idea… The old ones are always the best. :wink: :wink: . thanx ammo… I’ll be going to homebase tomorrow then…
:sunglasses:
And while my clothes are soaking in the solution, I’ll then use your advice Geezer… I’ll go down the pub, have a few bevvys, and my clothes will be nice and clean… hahahaha

AndyM:

ammo:
Hi Andy

Now theres an idea… The old ones are always the best. :wink: :wink: . thanx ammo… I’ll be going to homebase tomorrow then…
:sunglasses:
And while my clothes are soaking in the solution, I’ll then use your advice Geezer… I’ll go down the pub, have a few bevvys, and my clothes will be nice and clean… hahahaha

Gawd, that’s far too much effort. Like others say, look after your tackle and you won’t get the prob. If you’re only shunting trailers round all day then I don’t understand how you’re getting [zb] up anyway :question: You only need the red line on and a glove on your hand to pull the pin and you’re away. When you get your own unit, spend half an hour cleaning all your lines and then take a hike to Halfords or somewhere similar but cheaper and get yourself 4 or 5 bungie straps and suspend your lines from those. You won’t have the grease problem again as long as you don’t go jacking the trailers round.

Hey, I’m new to this game. Lots of you ‘old Hands’ have got the know-how to dodge the springy airlines, but I havent yet… I know its gonna come with that thing called experience but alas, you cant buy that can ya…

And as for shunting with only the red airline… thats a big no-no… the trailers have to be inspected for everything, lights ABS, suspension rise and fall… as the next guy to hook up to it, will prob be taking it up the road, so every trailer is fully connected and checked. And besides, its not just a small yard I’m shunting around… I can cover over 60km in one day, and not set foot on a public road…

Rob K.
I hope you dont learn from a bad experience.
Moving a trailer with out brakes will catch you out one day. How can you expect to stop something weighing up to 36ton with just a unit. even an empty trailer will make a unit jackknife with just a red line.

You only need the red line on and a glove on your hand to pull the pin and you’re away.

Not allowed in our yard ALL LINES MUST BE CONNECTED.

When you get your own unit, spend half an hour cleaning all your lines and then take a hike to Halfords or somewhere similar but cheaper and get yourself 4 or 5 bungie straps and suspend your lines from those.

Don’t have the luxury of our own units,ours have 4 drivers in them a week

as long as you don’t go jacking the trailers round.

You guessed,we have to do a bit of that on our job.As for removing grease I just put a spot of washing up liquid on the grease spots and stick it in the wash,comes off no problem,now,anyone got a good sponge recipe they could let me have?