Refreshing my knowledge - few bits needed

I’ve been out of the LGV driver’s seat now for 5 and 1/2 years, and trained in 2004-5. I’m now a cat-B driving instructor (ADI). I’m looking to move sideways into a role where I’ll be teaching cat-B still now and then but a bulk of work will be cat-C. The employer has specifically asked for ADIs to apply, and very few are working currently in LGVs so I don’t feel too bad asking!

What are the current rules for a driver taking training in a driving school cat-C vehicle, with regard to tacho cards? I’m assuming they must have one. Is that right? So to take a refresher lesson to re-align my brain to big toys I’ll need a card? I’m guessing I won’t need to take any CPC time for simple on-road refreshing, if I’m not actively driving for hire or reward?

The employer has advised that after the interview room stuff I will “take part in A-Routines around an LGV”. Looking at things logically it would seem this is an extended version of the daily walk-around, to include fluid levels, checking for foreign objects, and any ancillary equipment is functioning. Does that sound right?

And finally, are there any new areas of legislation or technical innovation worth reading into, from the last 6 or 7 years that may have slipped by me? (For example the NSL being 50 not 40 on single carriageways, etc). Have the D4 rules changes at all, or is it still 45 for the first medical for license renewal?

Many thanks.

Having just completed my C+E a few weeks ago, I can tell you that C and C+E instruction motors are exempt from tacho regs and no cards were inserted.

I can’t recall how they set it, but presumably it was out of scope

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

el gordo:
What are the current rules for a driver taking training in a driving school cat-C vehicle, with regard to tacho cards? I’m assuming they must have one. Is that right? So to take a refresher lesson to re-align my brain to big toys I’ll need a card?

Training vehicles are exempt as long as they’re being used for training.

Make sure you have one when you go for your interview though. Not putting in a digi card in any short driving test they do is basically an easy way to weed out the dross.