Red light cameras and artics

When it turns Amber you should stop if you can do so safely before crossing the junction line. If you can’t you are fine to carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dipper_Dave:
Talking of stopping at a green light, I have done this.
Sat there staring at it all embarrased wondering wtf im doing.

Perhaps on the approach I saw a red light some where, maybe the lights where offset and I could see the other directions red or most likely im just daft.

Based on most of your posts only one type of red light that you think about :wink:

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Carryfast:
By that logic the highway code would actually describe amber as just a warning regards ‘being prepared to stop for red’.Which by definition removes any question of anyone having crossed the line on amber because the driver considered it impossible to stop in time.In which case that would be in keeping with the obvious object of the amber light in acting as advanced warning of the change from green to red.

The Highway Code describes many requirements which are not in themselves legally enforceable.

Also, I am not contradicting the HC, I’m simply saying that, once the legislation is properly interpreted, a driver who creates a situation in which it is unsafe to stop by putting his foot down at an amber light, cannot be prosecuted for disobeying the sign - because the sign in his case means green.

There is no law which requires you to make it safe for yourself to stop for an amber light at the earliest opportunity - that is, there is no law against engineering the very conditions which make it unsafe to stop, and which therefore entitle you to proceed on amber.

The guys who say they’ve been done for it, I’d suggest maybe the legislation may have changed, or maybe he didn’t have adequate representation in court. That is why Mr Loophole has been so successful, because in many cases police officers and magistrates, unchallenged, have been a law unto themselves.

Unfortunately that isn’t how current traffic law is worded or enforced.Amber is regarded a meaning stop the same as red unless it’s unsafe to do so with the burden of proof being on the driver regards the definition of unsafe to stop.With the explanation of not enough time usually being met by the ‘expert’ police ‘opinion’ of an unsafe approach to a stale green not an unsafe distance to stop.Which as I’ve said logically explains the need for a flashing green to do the job that the amber light ‘should be’ there for but in reality isn’t. :bulb:

I’m of the view that the law is currently being enforced in accordance with my interpretation. I’ve never even heard of a prosecution for running an amber light before now, even though it must be a very routine occurrence, and we all accept that the cameras also only trigger on red.

Also, the burden of proof in criminal cases is almost always on the prosecution. Being “unsafe to stop” is not a defence to the charge which the defendant has to prove - that it was “safe to stop” (and therefore the status of the amber light was equivalent to red) is a prior condition to the charge which the prosecution must prove. If they cannot prove that it was safe for you to stop, then you should not be prosecuted (or should be acquitted).

One day, I’m going to splash out on Wilkinson’s road traffic law!

was flashed in east london on A12 - have not heard anything back

Conor:

Eric Rambler:
Well in the good old days we didn’t usually bother to stick a number plate on the trailer, and if we did it was just a random one we found at the gatehouse.

£60 FPN. Got one myself for no numberplate in the middle of the night on the M62 by a bored Trafpol looking for something to do.

£100 now

Just digging this old post up, do red light cameras flash if you’ve been nicked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gurj254:
Just digging this old post up, do red light cameras flash if you’ve been nicked?

Generally, yes they do flash.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ACPO guidelines give 1.6 seconds leniency - in the same vein as x% + y mph for speed cameras. So unless you’ve activated the induction loop (the tar lines just past the stop line) 1.6 seconds after the red light has been displayed, you should be fine.

I was going to run an amber one night in me van, changed my mind last minute as it’s a blind junction and there’s a camera so jammed on the brakes and ended up coming to a stop about halfway over the stop line. The camera flashed after I came to a stop, after talking to my boss (traffic cop), he said the photos wouldn’t show an offence being committed (i.e. crossing the line after the light was displayed). From that, I take that unless a photo will show you going over the line with a red light displayed, you’re ok.

Obviously, it’d be different if you were clocked by a bod.

As for the flashing, they do it three times, rather than 2 for speed cameras. Note - a lot of these will do speed as well as a red light offence, and some in London can detect illegal movements (ignoring no right turn, sitting on a yellow box, etc).

i got held up crossing a set of lights in poole where a gulley sucker was having a real bad time climbing a slope whilst turning right, the lights changed in my favour and I thought I would creep across and try to shield the sucker only to still be half and half over the line but now blocking the other traffic so kept going, I never heard anything from the gestapo but weeks later I bumped into the sucker and just said to the driver did he have trouble at the lights, he said no its always been the same since the boss would not pay for a turbo and just covered up the ports and ran it without.

This is where trying to be observant and drive carefully can get you into trouble. Having noticed a green light ahead which you did not see turn green you slow down anticipating it going amber. Because you are now going too slowly it is possible for the light to turn amber at the precise moment when it really is not wise to jam on the anchors although you might be able to stop. Unfortunately you are now going too slowly and cannot accelerate and the light turns red.

cav551:
This is where trying to be observant and drive carefully can get you into trouble. Having noticed a green light ahead which you did not see turn green you slow down anticipating it going amber. Because you are now going too slowly it is possible for the light to turn amber at the precise moment when it really is not wise to jam on the anchors although you might be able to stop. Unfortunately you are now going too slowly and cannot accelerate and the light turns red.

+1 Exactly.

Thanks for the replies everyone

mike68:
Sorry but amber means stop, if you had stopped and triggered the camera the two photos taken would have shown a stationary vehicle as happened to me once and I heard nothing, you may be lucky and they consider the length of you’re vehicle, its a waiting game I’m afraid.

yes amber does mean STOP! But if he’s doing 30/ 40/ 50 mph < insert speed limit for that road > it doesn’t take the brains of an arch bishop to work out he’s going to stop in a millimetre. :grimacing: OP PRAY! Lol :laughing:

How many cameras actually capture an image when the flash goes off though?

We used to joke about the older cameras “having no film left” but surely these modern devices will be saving a jpg to flash ram or something, or more likely sending that snapshot to some central location…? Otherwise someone could trash the camera to get the chip out of it.

You still see “Burned out” cameras here and there after all.

Depends where you live. Some of them don’t store the image locally, some still use film reels.

The one I like is some railway engineer who got nicked for speeding. He comes back with some explosives he pinched from work and blew up the camera. All this was captured on a nearby CCTV :laughing:

The one and only time I set off a red light camera in an artic (on Farringdon St north, just after Fleet st, London), I never heard anything.

If, like me, it was just your back axle setting it off, you’ll probably be ok. If you chanced it, and your unit wheels set if off, you’ll probably get a letter.

peterm:
I’m still pee’d off that I was done for exactly this scenario back in '68, way before cameras. In those days it was a summons to appear and the copper ([zb]) even said that I was 5 yards from the line when the lights went to amber. I’d just left Spitalfields market with half a trailer load of fruit on and was tear arsing along at about 25. :angry:

you were lucky then. :grimacing: speed limit was 20 mph back then wasn’t it? Lol. :laughing:

Eric Rambler:
Well in the good old days we didn’t usually bother to stick a number plate on the trailer, and if we did it was just a random one we found at the gatehouse.

still do that now. :grimacing: lol. :laughing: