Question regarding WTD

romik:
Thanks for the reply. The confusing thing is I needed to sit there for another 15 if I just went home for a long break? I understand that these are rules, but come on, seriously now, I only worked 5 minutes between 6 & 9 hours, if I didn’t take 15 prior to having reached 6hrs I understand, but Jeez, what a confusing legislation lol.

I suppose if you’re going to have rules that are designed to ensure people are entitled to enough breaks there has to be a cut off point somewhere, it’s a bit unfortunate and can be frustrating if having the breaks extends your working day unnecessarily though.

romik:
Main question remains - what was the latest time between 6 and 9 hrs work I should have taken the other 15min break?

Q. Did you work for more than 6 hours in your shift?

A. Yes. 6 hours 4 minutes.

Your working time was between 6-9 hours so need to take a TOTAL of 30 minutes break during your shift.

As I said forget the fact you were going into your daily or weekly rest…

We are talking about breaks to be taken during your shift, which by definition cannot be at the start or the end of the shift, because then they would be part of your rest period.

truckyboy:
If you want to work between 6 to 9 hours with a 30 minute break, ( 2 x 15 mins ) carry on my son, here is one driver who wont…i work 4 hours its time for a 45…work another 4 hrs and its another 45 sorry…but i`m in transport, and thats the way i work. I cant understand any other way. Yes there are 2 sets of regulations, so i drive for 3 hours, back on a bay ( no self tip ) put the tacho on break for 2 hrs is one example.

Yawn

No one is saying you have to, but it’s​ in the drivers own interests to know the minimum requirements, everyone at some point has wanted to get home sharpish and not hang it out

romik:

tachograph:

romik:
Admittedly I’m not the sharpest mind around here, that’s why I’m still confused why I had to take another 15m before 9 hours work has been reached if I went home after 6h19m shift, which included a 15m break prior to reaching 6hrs.

Main question remains - what was the latest time between 6 and 9 hrs work I should have taken the other 15min break?

My solution for now is to take 30min before reaching 6 hours, not 15min as advised by the legislation, which just confuses.

In your original post you worked a total of 6 hours 20 minutes and had a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours, because your working time was a bit over 6 hours you should have had a total of 30 minutes break/breaks.

You could have had a 30 minute break instead of the 15 minute break or had another 15 minute break before the end of the shift, the second break should not be at the immediate end of the shift.

If your working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours you need a total of 30 minutes break, this break can be split into 2 parts each of which must be at-least 15 minutes.
Breaks for the WTD cannot be at the immediate start or end of the shift.

For a shift of between 6 and 9 hours working time you could have a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time and another 15 minute break any-time except at the immediate end of the shift, you must do at-least a minute work after the last break or it won’t count for the WTD.

Thanks for the reply. The confusing thing is I needed to sit there for another 15 if I just went home for a long break? I understand that these are rules, but come on, seriously now, I only worked 5 minutes between 6 & 9 hours, if I didn’t take 15 prior to having reached 6hrs I understand, but Jeez, what a confusing legislation lol.

It’s because it’s extremely flexible that you can end up back at the yard ready to go home, but to comply you must sit there on break, then do 1 min of work before finishing. You can have breaks that qualifies for the total amount anywhere in the shift except for the 1st or last minute. The flexibility is a good thing, just make sure you don’t work more than 6 hours at any point without a 15

It’s like anything, there’s got to be a cut off, you can drive 4.30 before needing a 45 but if your yard will take you to 4.35 to get there, then you need to have a 45 to comply before you get there.