Question regarding WTD

yourhavingalarf:

truckyboy:
If you want to work between 6 to 9 hours with a 30 minute break, ( 2 x 15 mins ) carry on my son, here is one driver who wont…i work 4 hours its time for a 45…work another 4 hrs and its another 45 sorry…but i`m in transport, and thats the way i work. I cant understand any other way. Yes there are 2 sets of regulations, so i drive for 3 hours, back on a bay ( no self tip ) put the tacho on break for 2 hrs is one example.

+1

Work all day…

With only 15/30 minutes off?

You want yer head tested.

all day? 6hrs19min lol

No body has really answered his question as he and also most ppl get confused with the 15mins and 6 hour rules
And if you have 15mins before 6 hours can you then go over that 6 hour before needing the extra 15mins

For example start at 00.00
Break 15mins 05.45
Off break at 06.00

Then continue but before 09.00 take another 15mins

This is what most ppl get confused with they dont know if they need a 15min or 30mins before 06.00 to go over 06.00

15726483_10154123853503483_4241471562979568424_n.jpg

James2255:
No body has really answered his question as he and also most ppl get confused with the 15mins and 6 hour rules
And if you have 15mins before 6 hours can you then go over that 6 hour before needing the extra 15mins

Break 15mins 05.45
Off break at 06.00

This is what most ppl get confused with they dont know if they need a 15min or 30mins before 06.00 to go over 06.00

In your example you wouldn’t need another break till 12.00 as long as you don’t hit 4.5 hrs of driving in the mean time.

James2255:

Break 15mins 05.45
Off break at 06.00

You’ve been listening well at your DCPC. Don’t because it’s wrong…

The only reason you would have to take another fifteen minutes before 0900 in your example is if you were going to be finishing your shift then or before 0930. I.e. Your working time in a shift is between 6 and 9 hours in total.

People on here are saying you can split the 30 min wtd break in to two 15 min breaks.
Never knew you could do that.
I was always led to believe it couldn’t be split so i never do.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

CAVEAT - authorities not bothered about WTD - many companies have internal sanctions for breaches

Simple rules for WTD

MAX TIME BETWEEN BREAKS
Do not work (driving+other work) for more than 6 hours during a shift without at least a 15 min break

TOTAL BREAK(S) NEEDED FOR THE TOTAL OF WORK TIME IN A SHIFT
If 6 hours or less = no break needed
If more than 6 hours but no more than 9 hours = 30 mins OR (NOT BOTH) If more than 9 hours = 45 mins

There is no 9 hour 15 min break rule like there is for 6 hours

Breaks must be at least 15 mins to count for WTD

Driving time breaks will also count as WTD breaks

Easy solution for those without a scooby, forget 15 mins and just have half hour breaks, unless a 45 is needed. But a 30 will cover the wtd between 6 & 9 hours, if taken after 3 hours. Problem solved.

theantbox:
Easy solution for those without a scooby, forget 15 mins and just have half hour breaks, unless a 45 is needed. But a 30 will cover the wtd between 6 & 9 hours, if taken after 3 hours. Problem solved.

That may not work for many drivers perhaps on multi drop where more other work is done than driving time

Total work 6 hours incl 2 hours driving
Break 15 mins
Total work 6 hours incl 2 hours driving
break 30 mins = resets driving time + sorts out all WTD needs
Total work 2 hours 15 mins incl 1 hour driving

15 hour shift which could not be done if 30 mins had been taken on the first break

mat79:
People on here are saying you can split the 30 min wtd break in to two 15 min breaks.
Never knew you could do that.
I was always led to believe it couldn’t be split so i never do.

If you know you’re NOT going to reach 4.5 hrs driving for the day you could have 3 x 15 or even a 30 followed by a 15 if you so desired.

Cheers. Didn’t know that. Ill fetch it up with our tacho people.
No doubt ill be told im wrong.
After all. Were only drivers.
What do we know.

Reading some of the replies and other posts on here drivers don’t know much

theantbox:

Absolutely. But that is extra I could be at home!

I could knob the missus twice and have a gin & tonic in that time… or 3 gins if she’s not interested :laughing:

Point is, the better you know the regs the better you can use them to suit your day, your plans, and your working style.

I got my head round the regs, but find it difficult to explain to those who haven’t as they tend to either argue or just plain not understand. So the half hour thing suggested works for them.

some companies have policies which require a driver to have a 30 mins break instead of the legally required 15 min break for WTD

Worked 6 hours I would have had 45 by then never mind 30

lolipop:
Worked 6 hours I would have had 45 by then never mind 30

That’s great, suits you, but that’s not the question mate, nor is it a helpful answer.

Admittedly I’m not the sharpest mind around here, that’s why I’m still confused why I had to take another 15m before 9 hours work has been reached if I went home after 6h19m shift, which included a 15m break prior to reaching 6hrs.

Main question remains - what was the latest time between 6 and 9 hrs work I should have taken the other 15min break?

My solution for now is to take 30min before reaching 6 hours, not 15min as advised by the legislation, which just confuses.

romik:
Admittedly I’m not the sharpest mind around here, that’s why I’m still confused why I had to take another 15m before 9 hours work has been reached if I went home after 6h19m shift, which included a 15m break prior to reaching 6hrs.

Main question remains - what was the latest time between 6 and 9 hrs work I should have taken the other 15min break?

My solution for now is to take 30min before reaching 6 hours, not 15min as advised by the legislation, which just confuses.

In your original post you worked a total of 6 hours 20 minutes and had a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours, because your working time was a bit over 6 hours you should have had a total of 30 minutes break/breaks.

You could have had a 30 minute break instead of the 15 minute break or had another 15 minute break before the end of the shift, the second break should not be at the immediate end of the shift.

If your working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours you need a total of 30 minutes break, this break can be split into 2 parts each of which must be at-least 15 minutes.
Breaks for the WTD cannot be at the immediate start or end of the shift.

For a shift of between 6 and 9 hours working time you could have a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time and another 15 minute break any-time except at the immediate end of the shift, you must do at-least a minute work after the last break or it won’t count for the WTD.

tachograph:

romik:

In your original post you worked a total of 6 hours 20 minutes and had a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours, because your working time was a bit over 6 hours you should have had a total of 30 minutes break/breaks.

You could have had a 30 minute break instead of the 15 minute break or had another 15 minute break before the end of the shift, the second break should not be at the immediate end of the shift.

If your working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours you need a total of 30 minutes break, this break can be split into 2 parts each of which must be at-least 15 minutes.
Breaks for the WTD cannot be at the immediate start or end of the shift.

For a shift of between 6 and 9 hours working time you could have a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time and another 15 minute break any-time except at the immediate end of the shift, you must do at-least a minute work after the last break or it won’t count for the WTD.

Thanks for the reply. The confusing thing is I needed to sit there for another 15 if I just went home for a long break? I understand that these are rules, but come on, seriously now, I only worked 5 minutes between 6 & 9 hours, if I didn’t take 15 prior to having reached 6hrs I understand, but Jeez, what a confusing legislation lol.