Peter Slater Ltd.+ Other Coalmen from the 50s/60s onwards

Another nice old photo John,can’t you just feel the damp and cold just like the driver in that Foden :laughing:
I have a friend coming over sometime soon whose dad used to drive for Mullans,I’ll ask if there are any photos knocking about.

Thanks for that Chris.Hopefully there will be more about somewhere.Heres another one belonging to Garrett & Hemphrey.

Garratt&Hemphrey.jpg
JOHN

i remember when Alan S Dennif from Kiveton Park got some of those 3-axled Scammells with tipper trailers in 1968,they looked really impressive in them days.I used to get lifts with them when thumbing to RAF Scampton Lincs just before I was demobbed.

I remember Peter Slaters coming over Blackstone Edge down into Littleborough.One turned over at Barhouse and ended up on its side in my uncles hen pen.The other crash i remember was when one ran away just past the Sheperds Rest trasport cafe and finished crashed into the railway arch in Littleborough.Iwas a lad of 8 or 9 yrs 50 yrs ago and lived on small farm on Blackstone Edge,all the locals would turn up with buckets and sacks and off with the coal.A Danish Bacon 8 went over one winters night about 8 pm not one rasher left by daylight a great time for a young lad.All the best BL

Another one from the Mullens fleet.transportphotos.com/road/photo/HUE0900-D1
HuE0900-d1.jpghttp://www.transportphotos.com/road/photo/HUE1116
And one of Harry Evers from Ancoats in Manchester.
Harry Evers Foden S20. UXJ87.jpg

One of Shaws last tippers, taken from the Sykes Bulk Liquids and Shaws thread:

I pulled one of these trailers with this unit for a couple of months:

I was running into Orgreave and ICI Huddersfield among others but couldn’t shift enough coal in a day to make it pay.

Chris Webb:
I remember Beatties running out of Wingerworth and Horace “greedy board” Kendrick was a familiar sight especially in South Wales running coke into the Midlands.Another company from Walsall was Oscar W Johnson who did the same work as Horace,anybody remember him?

my name is jim boot i did alot of miles with my dad in a kendricks lorry in the 60s yes i remember oscar johnsons i think they where from rugeley and all so john hills from walsall had alot of kendricks x lorrys my dad used to run in to llanwern steel works and allso cwum coking plant that hill was unberlieverble i have seen many a wagon on its side the pic of the kendricks lorry on here could even be my dad because of the reg being vdh then ending in f i just cannot remember the numbers when my dad left kendricks he went to work for RA. GIBBLIN oldbury he had AEC.MAMOUTH MAJORS still done the same run to wales good memories for me/////// jimmy boot :slight_smile:

Another of Kendricks for you.Taken at the Smallwood rally in may this year

The same wagon during the Trans Pennine run this year
JOHN

james boot:

Chris Webb:
I remember Beatties running out of Wingerworth and Horace “greedy board” Kendrick was a familiar sight especially in South Wales running coke into the Midlands.Another company from Walsall was Oscar W Johnson who did the same work as Horace,anybody remember him?

my name is jim boot i did alot of miles with my dad in a kendricks lorry in the 60s yes i remember oscar johnsons i think they where from rugeley and all so john hills from walsall had alot of kendricks x lorrys my dad youst to run in to llanwern steel works and allso cwum coke,ing plant that hill was unberlieverble i have seen many a wagon on its side the pic of the kendricks lorry on here could even be my dad because of the reg being vdh then ending in f i just cannot remember the numbers when my dad left kendricks he went to work for RA. GIBBLIN oldbury he had AEC.MAMOUTH MAJORS still done the same run to wales good memories for me/////// jimmy boot

hi james,oscar johnson were based in portland street walsall.the new collage in walsall has their car park where johnsons yard used to be

james boot:

Chris Webb:

my name is jim boot i did alot of miles with my dad in a kendricks lorry in the 60s yes i remember oscar johnsons i think they where from rugeley and all so john hills from walsall had alot of kendricks x lorrys my dad youst to run in to llanwern steel works and allso cwum coke,ing plant that hill was unberlieverble i have seen many a wagon on its side the pic of the kendricks lorry on here could even be my dad because of the reg being vdh then ending in f i just cannot remember the numbers when my dad left kendricks he went to work for RA. GIBBLIN oldbury he had AEC.MAMOUTH MAJORS still done the same run to wales good memories for me/////// jimmy boot

i for got to mention my dad endid his driving days with tipton transport i have been trying to get some pics of them but finding it verey hard nevermind i will keep trying////jim boot

Chris Webb:

hi jimboot here
i was just wondering if you had any more info on the pic of the kndricks lorry the more i look at it the more i can see my farther in it . this is one of the best kendricks pic i have seen for some reason/////jim boot

Two more here for you James

JOHN

Stanfield:
Two more here for you James 10
JOHN

THANX MATE I LOVE LOOKING AT DIFRENT ONES ITS LIKE GOING BACK TO MY CHILDHOOD DAYS . NICE ONE MATE///// JIMMY BOOT

Stanfield:

Can’t say I was much of an ERF fan, but that just looks a proper wagon IMO. interesting info about the 8 sons, strange too how the similar but smaller Gilder tribe are from the same area isn’t it?

Stanfield:
JOHN

There where always plenty of kendricks waggons up in the northeast cokeing plants getting foundry coke for down south about late 60s and 70s

Stanfield:
JOHN

Just love the B/W pic. John, that’s just how I remember them lumbering through the narrow streets of Walsall, with us in our smaller lorries diving in between the cars to let them pass. Nobody seemed to be bothered by them though, as can be seen by the lady crossing the road! :laughing:

Some more coalmen

Anyone remember any of this bunch.JOHN

One more

blackbox:

Stanfield:
JOHN

There where always plenty of kendricks waggons up in the northeast cokeing plants getting foundry coke for down south about late 60s and 70s

Derwenthaugh,Norwood,Lambton and Monckton spring to mind…plus others.

Chris Webb:

blackbox:

Stanfield:
JOHN

Derwenthaugh,Norwood,Lambton and Monckton spring to mind…plus others.

It was at derwenthaugh that i seen them ,in my uncles waggons standing around waiting to load up listening to people like r g tait volovo dealer telling about his trips to sweden and him with new f86 artic loading for scotland great times when you are a young kid