Overnighting Uckfield area

cav551:
I’ve just checked on Google & the Plough and Horses in Crowborough is listed as ‘permanently closed’. I will contact a friend in C/brough over the weekend to ask about other palces to eat/stay

That’s a real shame stay there regularly for 5 years up to the middle of 2016, but the landlord was well into his 70’s used to still be behind the bar until after midnight then up to cook breakfast at 6:30.

Double person it, then keep it lit, be a day run then, you could even night out around Norwich then take wifey,around your old stomping grounds, nice travel lodge or something.

blue estate:

axletramp:

pierrot 14:

axletramp:
If it’s not too far off route there’s a café with overnight parking and shower at Faygate (A264 near Crawley).
Google Cabin Café Faygate.

Axle are you for real ■■? Faygate !!!
Read the OP she’s coming down from Norfolk to Uckfield ffs !!! Why would she want to go there ■■? You have a look at Google maps and you work it out !!! Apart from the fact it will be closed by the time she gets there should she want to do the 50 mile detour to park there :unamused: :unamused:

Who’s pressed your button?
It’s up to the Op or his Mrs to decide whats too far off route or not.
It certainly wouldn’t have bothered me running a bit out of my way.
Roll roll ffs yourself. HTH.

Come on Fay gate is way off route and car park is like the moon
P/s did you not read the bit about just enough time ? :wink:

Thanks Blue, my point exactly. :wink:
Tight schedule, I know lets take a 50 mile detour on the chance that it’ll be open . :unamused: :unamused:
HTH

Bell them up first if you’re so concerned.
They might even tarmac the parking area for you.
Snowflake.

axletramp:
Snowflake.

No snowflake here :unamused: You live in Bradford (Yorkshire ) yes ?
So what makes you think you’ve got superior knowledge of the S/E over us who live there and regularly deliver there :question: :wink:
P/s you forgot to mention Pease pottage welcome break :wink:

blue estate:

axletramp:
Snowflake.

No snowflake here :unamused: You live in Bradford (Yorkshire ) yes ?
So what makes you think you’ve got superior knowledge of the S/E over us who live there and regularly deliver there :question: :wink:
P/s you forgot to mention Pease pottage welcome break :wink:

I never mentioned having “superior knowledge” of the South East. Although in my younger days (admittedly a good while back) I did spent the biggest part of 15 years multi - dropping round London and S/E so got to know it quite well for a Bradford lad. :wink:

I’ve had some good dinners in nutley at the nutley pub / cafe / inn not sure theyed want an artic on the front though and there’s no shower !

It’s a sad state of affairs when the only parking to be had in an area this big are laybys and industrial estates without even basic facilities and a handful of spaces at a petrol station with only the basic facilities or getting fleeced at an MSA where you’ll have to be there early to get a parking space.

I recon her best bet would be to stop short at birchanger svs and run down to uckfield in the morn should crack it in 90mins

muckles:
It’s a sad state of affairs when the only parking to be had in an area this big are laybys and industrial estates without even basic facilities and a handful of spaces at a petrol station with only the basic facilities or getting fleeced at an MSA where you’ll have to be there early to get a parking space.

That’s the trouble with being so close to Kent :frowning:

Deleted, silly me

Thanks again for more suggestions, its appreciated :smiley: Got to admit to losing touch completely with UK stops ect…

AndrewG:
Thanks again for more suggestions, its appreciated :smiley: Got to admit to losing touch completely with UK stops ect…

There’s not a lot in the South East Andrew, except of course for MSA’s. You’ll probably get the “no don’t go there” comments, but as a last resort there is always Thurrock and I would think that the female facilities are probably OK.

biggriffin:
Double person it, then keep it lit, be a day run then, you could even night out around Norwich then take wifey,around your old stomping grounds, nice travel lodge or something.

I would mate but still cant drive (i can but really still dont feel well enough for distance).

Shes a very capable driver but from a safety point must admit to worrying, shes little and although fiesty and has her wits about her from a physical viewpoint very vulnerable. Crowborough looks a possibility but safety in numbers ect maybe Clacket lane…

pierrot 14:

AndrewG:

There’s not a lot in the South East Andrew, except of course for MSA’s. You’ll probably get the “no don’t go there” comments, but as a last resort there is always Thurrock and I would think that the female facilities are probably OK.

Yeah Thurrock would likely do if she cant get to Clacket lane :bulb:
A shame there isnt anything else in the Uckfield area as obviously we have to max daily driving hours to be able to return within the week, not going to be possible though this time…

AndrewG:
Crowborough looks a possibility but safety in numbers ect maybe Clacket lane…

Except the pub has closed down and is being covered into flats, as I’ve found out today. Sad but not surprised, had some good nights there and met a lot of good people. :frowning:

AndrewG:

pierrot 14:

AndrewG:

Yeah Thurrock would likely do if she cant get to Clacket lane :bulb:
A shame there isnt anything else in the Uckfield area as obviously we have to max daily driving hours to be able to return within the week, not going to be possible though this time…

Is she aiming for the midnight Newhaven boat after loading ?

pierrot 14:

No mate,out of the way i know but its back through the chunnell…

The truck wash in botany way purfleet has female showers and parking and they are clean but you will prob need to book a space

AndrewG:

pierrot 14:

No mate,out of the way i know but its back through the chunnell…

Don’t try cross country then, go back to the M25 or rebook Newhaven. IIRC there is no access at the Northbound A21 M25 M26 junction for Eastbound M26. That is not the end of the world but requires going right back as far as Swanley to pick up the M20 Eastbound or take M25 Westbound to J6 Godstone A22 and do a 180.

On the way to Uckfield I assume M25 A21, A26, there will likely be very slow traffic through Southborough and Tunbridge Wells so make sure OK with breaks.

I know the company you sub for book the channel crossings but putting a different hat on it is this sort of unnecessary mileage which so gets up peoples’ noses in SE England. That is not the reason for saying go back to the M25 however, there are genuine issues with the coast road at Winchelsea and the A 262 at Goudhurst for artics on those routes, apart from the actual time taken to get to Cheriton.