Older drivers

eagerbeaver:
A ridiculous notion Harry :open_mouth:

Don’t get me wrong, I think a lot of old folk. The thing is, reactions slow and sight and hearing start to drop off, so at what point do you call it a day?

Eh? What? Speak up Son!

Personally I think EB has a point, older drivers really can’t grasp the complexities of modern hi-tech trucks and their fancy auto gearboxes.

muckles:
Personally I think EB has a point, older drivers really can’t grasp the complexities of modern hi-tech trucks and their fancy auto gearboxes.

Someone give Juddian a nudge!

Evil8Beezle:

muckles:

Someone give Juddian a nudge!

He’ll be snoring away, with a tartan rug over his legs and a mug of Horlicks on the arm of the chair. :laughing:

hotel magnum:
what a waste of his mothers milk

3/10 (reasonable effort at an insult, however lacks imagination, try harder) :wink:

i dont thnk a lot of oldies have much of a pension plan…tramping…then its trunking,or local work,then its weekend shunting etc,then they finally fail their mot and pull the pin…6 months later they peg it,cos it was only routine that kept them going…isnt that about the norm for soon to be expired drivers??

The only problem I have driving a truck in old age is that the Meals on Wheels lady sometimes has trouble finding me. Most garages sell hearing aid batteries nowadays and I can always look at pre-paid funeral plans when I’m parked up for the night.

Evil8Beezle:
Do you seriously want to share a cab with some incontinent old codger who slobbers like a basset hound once he’s taken his teeth out so he can gum his fish paste sarnies down?

If so, I’m sure Robroy could do with the company… :wink:

Fingers in ears shouting wahhhhh. :laughing:
I aint rising to the bait either, I’m in enough trouble on here today as it is. :wink: :smiley:

AND anything started by Eager B, and fuelled by you (despite sticking up for me) is always going to end bad for me. :smiley:

AND anything truck related I can do better than both of you combined anyway. :sunglasses:

AND I’m the coolest 59 yr old you will ever meet. :sunglasses:

AND I’m bloody well rising to the bait even though I said you wouldn’t…you pair of ■■■■ s :imp:
:laughing: :laughing:

The fella who knocked the M20 bridge down was 63 I believe, and in fairness maybe he was stuck in his way’s and couldn’t be arsed with a height stick?

Physical strength could be an issue, maybe ratchet straps or chains would be a struggle to gain the correct tension? I will be in my 60’s soon enough and I will be quite happy to work at B&Q.

eagerbeaver:
The fella who knocked the M20 bridge down was 63 I believe, and in fairness maybe he was stuck in his way’s and couldn’t be arsed with a height stick?

How old was the driver in the tipper accident in Bath, in which four people died?

Oy you lot i’m watching.

Funny thing.
When there’s a new customer that needs to be impressed, or a job that requires a bit of bloody finesse or discretion, or it must be there without fail at whatever time of the day or night, you know the sort of thing.
Have a guess which of the mob get picked to do the job, those who’ll turn up at whatever time is needed even if they died during the night, and get the lorry there in one bit, more economically more efficiently.
Something on the lorry plays up on the way, lights out?, have a guess who’s more likely to fix the bloody thing and get that ‘‘must be there’’ load there.
Who still takes a stubborn pride in their work ethic despite all the best efforts of the powers that be trainers shiney arsed office bods self important suits.
Who could drive any bloody thing they handed the keys over for.
Who does this because that’s what they’ve always done, even if the people they’ve done it for seldom deserve loyalty or commitment, its done out of sheer bloody mindedness, no pats on the head required.

Hmm lets have a think, nope won’t be me :laughing:

eagerbeaver:
Nope. Serious question fella’s.

I was talking to an old boy the other day and he really struggled to hear me. I ended up grabbing a traffic cone and shouting through it.

(Still didn’t bloody hear me). Thing is though, any mention of roping & sheeting and they hear everything :neutral_face:

You’re lucky he didn’t take it off you and shove it up your back bottom for patronising him mate lol.

I recall when I left the Army and got my first job as a ‘Driver’… a Coal man actually… get in at silly o’clock in the morning whatever the weather to bag up the days coal deliveries and lift them on to my truck and then get out on deliveries. It was hard graft and I was in my 20’s and as fit as I’ve ever been. Come the Friday of that first week, I was knackered: muscles that I never knew I had aching in my fingers etc. I wanted to jack it in there and then. If you’ve never lifted a hundred weight hessian sack by the ‘ears’ full of coal you might not understand that.

As I pondered my decision, I looked over and seen ‘Ted’ who was in his 70’s… he actually wore a flat cap and a suit jacket though god knows why, it was that ■■■■■ high when he took it off, it would stand up like it was made of fiberglass (or maybe it was the ingrained cat pee)… and all that shovelling and shufting about full bags of coal on to his wagon with as much effort as a kid would have kicking a tennis ball about… he just got on with it.

Age isn’t always the issue, ability and attitude whatever your job is more important.

Working past the age of 50-55 was always a daft idea anyway.While rather than lower the retirement age the bankers/government want it raised.So people either die before retirement or not long after and the bankers and the government can pocket all the pension contributions. :imp: :laughing:

True enough. But why do they always make out that dominoes is a really clever game?

eagerbeaver:
True enough. But why do they always make out that dominoes is a really clever game?

Because you can still play dominoes even when you haven’t got an internet connection, Sonny. :wink:

eagerbeaver:
why do they always make out that dominoes is a really clever game?

It is when your eyesight is so bad you cant see the spots clearly. Or the memory is going and you forget what game youre playing. Or you can play a whole game without having to get up and pee 4 times.
Thats real skill there EB

andy_s:
I recall when I left the Army and got my first job as a ‘Driver’… a Coal man actually… get in at silly o’clock in the morning whatever the weather to bag up the days coal deliveries and lift them on to my truck and then get out on deliveries. It was hard graft and I was in my 20’s and as fit as I’ve ever been. Come the Friday of that first week, I was knackered: muscles that I never knew I had aching in my fingers etc. I wanted to jack it in there and then. If you’ve never lifted a hundred weight hessian sack by the ‘ears’ full of coal you might not understand that.

As I pondered my decision, I looked over and seen ‘Ted’ who was in his 70’s… he actually wore a flat cap and a suit jacket though god knows why, it was that [zb] high when he took it off, it would stand up like it was made of fiberglass (or maybe it was the ingrained cat pee)… and all that shovelling and shufting about full bags of coal on to his wagon with as much effort as a kid would have kicking a tennis ball about… he just got on with it.

Age isn’t always the issue, ability and attitude whatever your job is more important.

Left the army many years ago now (Pt instructor) and for years handballed on and off tilts, sometimes (with help) 24t+ which took hours and am still very strong and fit. Can still remember the coal men delivering to my mothers, very strong guys but nearly always walked with a stoop through carrying all that weight on their back over the years. Would put many a young driver refusing to pick up anything now through H&S excuses to shame…

Is age just a number or can an old dog learn new…

Oh bollox to it I’m ■■■■■■ so this post originally contained erection sustaining references and the art of tickling a woman’s perineum.

Advanced stuff but the results are incredible.

eagerbeaver:

:wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZshcYUzpZSg

Dipper_Dave:
Oh bollox to it I’m ■■■■■■ so this post originally contained erection sustaining references and the art of tickling a woman’s perineum.

With that i couldnt help but wonder whats happening to that cat… :grimacing: