Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Lawrence Dunbar:

Are those the flats looking left from P&G towards where the Salvation Army Hostel is now?

Lawrence Dunbar:

This Photo taken on Sandy Lane Wideopen when it was being constructed. The Traction Engine was owned by J.W.Bland of Gosforth , my late Grandad drove it , Then Currie & Co bought Bland out so the Engine was parked up, it stood at the Three Mile at Gosforth for years, & ended its days at Hexham, used for sterilising soil in a market garden. It was replaced with the good old Scammell,one which is on this thread,with my grandad standing at the back. the good old days, Regards Larry

Ye

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Are those the flats looking left from P&G towards where the Salvation Army Hostel is now?

I think so Kev,this incident on Gibson Stree caused quite a stir, one old bloke thought it was an invasion, big soap bubbles coming down the road, mind you it did look serious at the start but as you can see It had a happy ending, Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:

The ponteland road before cowgate not sure what its called thats what it looks like
to me.

8LXBV8BRIAN:

Lawrence Dunbar:

The ponteland road before cowgate not sure what its called thats what it looks like
to me.

Yes you are correct, its Claremont Road, now by passed of course, I did some searching as to the cost of 5 brand new Rios cost in those days, & a cab & chassis for that model was £750.00., so about 4 grands worth, my great Uncle Issac must of had some dosh because he went on to ERF walking floor bodies , that was opperated by hand. Regards Larry

THE GREEN PIMPERNEL:

2Diesels:

THE GREEN PIMPERNEL:
FL 10 DOUBLE DRIVE

Is that N425NFT or one of the older ones?

M596FVK on timber job ,n425 is the yard shunter now

I remember that one now but it’s no longer on my records :wink:

G.P. are you a driver or a Watson?

Nigel Tipping at Locherbie 1986

Lawrence Dunbar:

hiya,
Not a lot of wages needed there Larry, a handful of black bullets and a cuddle off grandad should do the trick.
thanks harry long retired.

Lawrence Dunbar:

jimmy logan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

lawrence good photo of aec fleet no 99 when i had comet no 90 two best units what do you think mate

Aye Jimmy those were great times good motors good wages, Shorties was a canny job , no pressure , Do you ever see any of the lads that worked there when we did, ? Les Davison is retired now, but I dont think he is very clever at the moment, anyway how are you enjoying retirement,? Im still doing a little bit now & again, but Im not interested in this new crappy CPC, caper, so I wont be renewing my class One next year. Kieth Janes was going to arrange a drivers reunion a while ago I will have to remind him, Regards Larry

i larry the last time i saw les davison was in murray hoggs depot he was with his wife and daughter and had to put the childlocks on the car because he tride to jump out on sandy lane getting back to good things i used to bump into joe duffy before he moved to top scotland my hgv runs out in march next year im not going to renew it rspv when is the next meeting in the town

Hello Jimmy, The drivers get together is in the Labour Club between the Xmas & The New Year, its a Wed. I think. hope you can make it , cos the crack is top dollar, Im sure you will enjoy it. Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hello Jimmy, The drivers get together is in the Labour Club between the Xmas & The New Year, its a Wed. I think. hope you can make it , cos the crack is top dollar, Im sure you will enjoy it. Regards Larry

hello try make it to the get together just keep me up dated when it is

jimmy logan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Jim, I’m sure you will get a reminder from Jimmy Hill, Bumper Russell, or myself before the big day even if Larry forgets
(which I doubt) I think you will enjoy the day but don’t forget to bring a bag of sawdust to soak up the
diesel (and the bullcrap) that you will encounter looking forward to seeing you and anyone else who
is interested or even remotely connected to the job. regards kevmac47

kevmac47:

jimmy logan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Jim, I’m sure you will get a reminder from Jimmy Hill, Bumper Russell, or myself before the big day even if Larry forgets
(which I doubt) I think you will enjoy the day but don’t forget to bring a bag of sawdust to soak up the
diesel (and the bullcrap) that you will encounter looking forward to seeing you and anyone else who
is interested or even remotely connected to the job. regards kevmac47

hiya,
Totally disconnected from the job now Kev even memories of the old days are starting to dwindle but Larry and the rest of you lads seem to remember well enough and keep my grey matter on some sort of an even keel looking forward to the Chrimbo “do” I’ve got the date and venue stuck on the fridge door just hope I can get Waldo to make the scene again we speak on the phone regularly and he say’s he’ll try to get along on the day.

By Waldo I take it you mean Geordie (deep pockets) Harry? look
forward to seeing you both there Harry. Ps young Geordie would
be a welcome addition. regards kev.

kevmac47:

kev i sometimes see taffy keith janes at tescos kingston park on sat mornings when i stop over at weekends i think keith works for simpsons when isee him i will tell him about the meeting

jimmy logan:

kevmac47:

kev i sometimes see taffy keith janes at tescos kingston park on sat mornings when i stop over at weekends i think keith works for simpsons when isee him i will tell him about the meeting

That’s great Jim, the more the merrier. The “do” after Xmas last year was brilliant.
Ps how’s your retirement going? Mine is due next year. 273 days but who’s counting? :smiley:
regards Kev

kevmac47:

jimmy logan:

kevmac47:

That’s great Jim, the more the merrier. The “do” after Xmas last year was brilliant.
Ps how’s your retirement going? Mine is due next year. 273 days but who’s counting? :smiley:
regards Kev

hiya,
That’s not proper counting Kev what about the the hours and minutes get the job right.