Oh no ! it's getting worse

Didn’t Hoyer change the t&c’s last year and lose a load of drivers? Anyway there’s a conservative MP saying it’s down to poor pay and conditions not brexit and covid so that’s a good start. He says there’s 600k licence holders in uk and only 300k using them so surely that’s problem solved right there. If they just admitted that the driver CPC was a money making scam and scrapped it lots of part time drivers would return

manalishi:

toonsy:

I think Cabotage is the ultimate goal through all this, probably engineered situation.As ever,there’s what we’re seeing and what’s actually taking place on a covert level.HS2 springs to mind,a government stacked high with non-indigenous etc etc.Smoke and Mirrors really ramping up right now.

You’re on the money.
Pudding is being seriously overegged, just like the covid and climate scams, when puddings are overegged it usually ends up with working people getting the dry end inserted.

manalishi:

toonsy:
Furlough ends next week anyway so point one is covered.

Regarding allowing EU drivers I say do it. I honestly believe it wint be the golden goose these firms are looking for because…

1 - There’s a driver shortage across Europe and in some cases its actually more acute than here.

2 - It’s not worth it now due to the closure of IR35 and what would what would a temporary nature of it.

One thing that could help is relaxing cabotage rules and allowing EU hauliers that do still bother to come here the ability to stay for say 10 days instead of 7 and perform 3 movements instead of 2 as an example.

I think Cabotage is the ultimate goal through all this, probably engineered situation.As ever,there’s what we’re seeing and what’s actually taking place on a covert level.HS2 springs to mind,a government stacked high with non-indigenous etc etc.Smoke and Mirrors really ramping up right now.

I do sort admire how you believe the government is packed with clever people covertly engineering everything. You have a lot more faith in the talents of human beings than me.

Juddian:

manalishi:

toonsy:

You’re on the money.
Pudding is being seriously overegged, just like the covid and climate scams, when puddings are overegged it usually ends up with working people getting the dry end inserted.

I dont get this cabotage limit who checks to see that the rules are being followed? Is it all these companies that are oh so desperate for drivers to shift a load from a to b because as said many times they play fair and by the rules paying a good wage with good conditions and working hours? is it the eu customs because they are good at finding 37 people in a lorry and acctualy preventing them coming to the uk? Its no good relying on stop checks from the police how do they know where the driver has been or going or what his planed route is.

I may be a cynical old git but come on these rules only affect the honest

cooper1203:
Its no good relying on stop checks from the police how do they know where the driver has been or going or what his planed route is.

Generally the DVSA. And they are quite good at it. Being an island theres always a paper trail with ferries and train etc. I’ve been ordered out of the country by them myself. Stopped in Holyhead. Parked up, Irish co I was working for given choice to send someone to take trailer on, DVSA checked them when they arrived to check they complied and I had to ship out.

switchlogic:

cooper1203:
Its no good relying on stop checks from the police how do they know where the driver has been or going or what his planed route is.

Generally the DVSA. And they are quite good at it. Being an island theres always a paper trail with ferries and train etc. I’ve been ordered out of the country by them myself. Stopped in Holyhead. Parked up, Irish co I was working for given choice to send someone to take trailer on, DVSA checked them when they arrived to check they complied and I had to ship out.

ok so you landed in england on one particular day but in one day you could do 5 jobs or 1 job. I thought cabotarge was on the number of jobs you could do.

and dont tell me that paper work from each job doesnt get “lost”

im not trying to be argumentative i just dont get it

cooper1203:

switchlogic:

cooper1203:

ok so you landed in england on one particular day but in one day you could do 5 jobs or 1 job. I thought cabotarge was on the number of jobs you could do.

As with everything some will slip through the net but mostly its policed fairly well by DVSA. Cabotage limits both number of loads and number of days. I’m almost certain it’s something like load into UK, then a load within the UK, then a load out of UK within seven days. Can’t quite remember if it’s two loads within UK or if the second load in UK (back to the EU) counts as the second one.

switchlogic:

cooper1203:

The ‘plan’ would obviously include the removal of what cabotage restrictions there are.It’s not rocket science.It’s only the rail freight interests which would then stand in the way of that plan.
While even the restricted access they’ve got would allow the general haulage and trunking sectors to be decimated assuming that the government ‘invites’ in a concerted effort.
Prepare to see an invading army armed with 6x2 units and skele/PSK trailers.
Basically the Brit government has never been the friend of the British truck driver other than when driving through picket lines.

cooper1203:

switchlogic:

cooper1203:

It is the number of different jobs you do 3 being the maximum, when you get stopped in the UK on foreign plates the first thing that happens is you’re asked when and where you entered the country they then verify this and require you to hand over your paperwork for what you have done in the UK. If you hand over a CMR from for a load that came from Germany and tipped in the UK but you tipped it 3 days previous and your tacho is showing plenty of driving since then and you have no paperwork you are instantly under suspicion their next check is of the ANPR cameras as well as asking you why you were driving all over the UK yet not loading or unloading. Once shown that you have committed an offence you will be directed to the nearest port and told to leave the country along with a fine, if you co-operate they may allow you to leave from a port of your choice but that depends on your attitude. An empty ferry crossing to say Holland at around £750 will easily take any profit you may have made, get caught again and you lose the lorry and that applies to the company so it may be your first offence but the company’s second and it’s you who will left at the roadside.

cooper1203:

switchlogic:

cooper1203:

I didn’t say it was one day. We pulled our own trailers out of the docks,

Mazzer2:

cooper1203:

switchlogic:

cooper1203:

It is the number of different jobs you do 3 being the maximum, when you get stopped in the UK on foreign plates the first thing that happens is you’re asked when and where you entered the country they then verify this and require you to hand over your paperwork for what you have done in the UK. If you hand over a CMR from for a load that came from Germany and tipped in the UK but you tipped it 3 days previous and your tacho is showing plenty of driving since then and you have no paperwork you are instantly under suspicion their next check is of the ANPR cameras as well as asking you why you were driving all over the UK yet not loading or unloading. Once shown that you have committed an offence you will be directed to the nearest port and told to leave the country along with a fine, if you co-operate they may allow you to leave from a port of your choice but that depends on your attitude. An empty ferry crossing to say Holland at around £750 will easily take any profit you may have made, get caught again and you lose the lorry and that applies to the company so it may be your first offence but the company’s second and it’s you who will left at the roadside.

This is more eloquently put that I could manage and sums it up well

switchlogic:

manalishi:

toonsy:
Furlough ends next week anyway so point one is covered.

Regarding allowing EU drivers I say do it. I honestly believe it wint be the golden goose these firms are looking for because…

1 - There’s a driver shortage across Europe and in some cases its actually more acute than here.

2 - It’s not worth it now due to the closure of IR35 and what would what would a temporary nature of it.

One thing that could help is relaxing cabotage rules and allowing EU hauliers that do still bother to come here the ability to stay for say 10 days instead of 7 and perform 3 movements instead of 2 as an example.

I do sort admire how you believe the government is packed with clever people covertly engineering everything. You have a lot more faith in the talents of human beings than me.

I use the word ‘clever’ advisedly.Clever to me isn’t in the same ballpark as wise,intelligent,judicious et al.Often quite the opposite i.e slippery,mendacious,machievellian,University indoctrinated intellects generally, but sadly gets to call the shots on the political/economic level. :neutral_face:

Fair points

who else doesn’t care the slightest of what’s happening like literally everything seems normal to me and im getting a bigger paycheck let the industy burn let us get paid more win win!

and to all panic buying fuel cars/truckers ■■■■■ to be you we have fuel tanks in house plus cycle to work

TruckDriverBen:
who else doesn’t care the slightest of what’s happening like literally everything seems normal to me and im getting a bigger paycheck let the industy burn let us get paid more win win!

and to all panic buying fuel cars/truckers ■■■■■ to be you we have fuel tanks in house plus cycle to work

Its a cunning plan by the government to get us all to think seriously about buying an EV :wink:

Just a thought. Am sure radio said mainly south east stations affected…
If so them protesters were there most of last week blocking the M25 maybe there to blame
As tanker drivers were maybe stuck in the chaos couldn’t do as many deliveries as normal?

edd1974:
Just a thought. Am sure radio said mainly south east stations affected…
If so them protesters were there most of last week blocking the M25 maybe there to blame
As tanker drivers were maybe stuck in the chaos couldn’t do as many deliveries as normal?

Its not just the south -

Reports are coming in that fuel shortages are leading to queues in ■■■■■■■■

Queues are being reported in the east of the county, with Penrith and Kirkby Thore among the areas believed to be affected.

BP and Tesco say they has been forced to close some of their fuel stations across the country due to a shortage of lorry drivers. Brexit, coronavirus and drivers leaving haulage has combined to make the perfect cocktail of recruitment problems for the industry.

BP says it plans to provide 80 per cent of normal services to nine in 10 forecourts.

However, there is no shortage of fuel, the issue lies in its transportation to the forecourts.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said that refineries had “plenty of petrol” and that people should continue to buy fuel as normal

god help us when they magiaclly produce the 100 thousand hgv drivers
all that fuel there need will lead to even more of a shortage

If the government really wished to solve the driver problem they could start with suspending the need for a valid cpc for a year and drivers who left for ventures new would be able to come back on a adhoc basis to allow stock to move, buy time to get more drivers tested and get stuff moving.

drover:
Never worked on tankers but from what people say the job is [zb] these days, earn more working for a supermarket
Plus the rotas will put you in a early grave…

I’ve never understood Hoyer’s thinking on shift patterns. Why don’t they just keep the drivers who want to work days on days and the drivers who want to work nights on nights? There seem to be plenty of both types.