NIP Letter

Hi guys, i am just after some view on this matter as I think some of you had the same happening. I did a quick search here and read some cases. I will explain it bellow.

My agency phoned me asking me if I had hit a car, I said of course no, then he asked you didn’t hit a car and drove off? I said, drove off? this is even worse, I would never drive off.
So he calmly explained me that the company I was working for just received a letter saying they need the details of the driver with the reg I was driving. (Detail; the letter arrived 1 day later of the alleged incident, really fast! and it arrived with the NIP too).

Anyway, so I said ok mate I will get to the bottom of it, I will phone the office and see what’s going on, the he said they are fine, they want you next week too, don’t worry too much.

So I phone the guy I deal with in the company, a very good guy, and he tell me yes, right, e received a letter, I explain I didn’t do it and asked him to send me the letters with the photos or video.

He then tells me there’s no photo and the letters says something like this:

"Between 5:30 - 6:18 (date and address I were) the driver of the motor vehicle bearing the registration number ■■■ is (alleged) to have committed the following offence(s) shown bellow. The driver reversed into a stationary/parked vehicle causing damage.

Careless Driving - Fail to report a Road Traffic Collision - Fail to stop following a Road Traffic Collision
…We require you to name the driver…etc"

So here is my bit,
I was doing a night out this week and as I was running tight on time I parked in an industrial state.
Got there around 7 and parked behind another lorry. I parked right behind him so it was just about to fit the non doubled lines. His truck front was near the corner and my back near the other corner but we both fitted fine.

Woke up around 5:00, walked around the truck as usual, set everything and reversed a bit slowly so I could clear the truck in front and move on, the I drove for about a minute in a straight road to the main road and that was it. I was out of the place.

I checked my dashcam and it records from 5:39 and it shows from about where I was straight on the road just moving off, probably seconds after my first move ( I think my camera takes a bit to start recording) and then by 5:40 I was joining the main roads.

So basically the only time I reversed in that place it was to get out, I can’t believe someone parked right behind me at 5:30. If they did I did it all slowly and no one tried to stop me? there was anyone in the car?

I think the time windows they are giving is just too long 5:30 - 6:18 ■■ I think I won’t mention I have video and see what evidence they have and the exact location they give me, as if didn’t happen when I was getting out, it didn’t happen at all.
Maybe someone trying it on?

Any thought?

Thanks.

It’s quite possible that…

After you did your walk round, someone parked behind you and went to work leaving their car there which you then un-knowingly reversed into.

But, without any evidence of damage to the vehicle you allegedly backed into it’s also possible that someone is trying it on. How did they get your number if you drove away (assuming they weren’t in the vehicle when you hit it). If they were in the vehicle when the damage occured, why didn’t they get out and stop you? Having said that, it’s hardly worth trying it on for such a small claim. Cash for crash usually involves large vehicle damage claims, whiplash and other injuries all of which are spurious.

I think the onus is on the third party to prove or at the very least, provide some sort of evidence that points in your direction.

See if there are any CCTV cameras in the area and ask if you can access them.

You shouldn’t be held responsible for failing to report if you didn’t know it happened.

yourhavingalarf:
It’s quite possible that…

After you did your walk round, someone parked behind you and went to work leaving their car there which you then un-knowingly reversed into.

But, without any evidence of damage to the vehicle you allegedly backed into it’s also possible that someone is trying it on. How did they get your number if you drove away (assuming they weren’t in the vehicle when you hit it). If they were in the vehicle when the damage occured, why didn’t they get out and stop you? Having said that, it’s hardly worth trying it on for such a small claim. Cash for crash usually involves large vehicle damage claims, whiplash and other injuries all of which are spurious.

I think the onus is on the third party to prove or at the very least, provide some sort of evidence that points in your direction.

See if there are any CCTV cameras in the area and ask if you can access them.

You shouldn’t be held responsible for failing to report if you didn’t know it happened.

Yes, it’s possible. They would have been right on the corner and rght behind me but you never know. I didn’t feel or heard anything, as I said It was a very slow move. If it they say it was anywhere other than there behind me than it is bs as I didn’t reverse at any point further. If no one was in the car, it was really fast to access cctv, find out who did, go to the police, get the registered keeper and on the next day I have a letter.

they are using multiple charges to ensure you plead guilty to the one they need in the 1st place.
you cant be guilty of knowingly leaving the scene if you were unaware of anything taking place,and they will drop the rest once you cop a guilty for the main one.
i took the trailer wheels over a ■■■■ in a fiat panda or something years ago as he was severely annoying me going round wolverhampton dual carrigeways till i just let him up the inside before turning left over his bonnet.
i copped for 5 or 6 careless,without due care,failing to stop,failing to report and a lot of other mince though they had a witness aart from the other driver and the mess in his skiddies ,but i argued it was raining and the trailer was empty and i knew nothing,so copped for a due care or something similar,then pleaded by letter for a fine and 3 points…job done,and it was worth every penny to have seen the state of his bonnet when i put the triler wheels over them…ask for proof and go from there.

Possible they parked behind you and had a dash cam running. I almost hit someone who parked right behind me last week. Thing is I’d been at the back of the wagon and no one was there. By the time I got to the cab, started the engine and started moving, some ■■■■■ had pulled in right behind me. Couldn’t see them in the main mirrors. I have a tiny little one I clip onto the mirror that gives just that little bit extra and allows me to see behind, I just caught a glimpse of something as I was going back and stopped to look. I was about an inch off thier bumper.

You should receive a copy of said “letter” never heard of anybody receiving a nip for a parking type incident, normally a local plod will appear, take a statement, then send that to the force in question,…

Sounds like a letter made to look and sound the local like the real deal.

If you say that you have no knowledge of the Incedent and no damage to your vehicle it is then upto the other party or the police to provide proof that you are guilty .
Without evidence of some type it won’t progress , without evidence all you need is to give the details of any tom ■■■■ or harry that passes by at about the correct time and accuse them of damaging your vehicle .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

biggriffin:

Thats what I’m thinking. Would double check the address given as it might not have anything to do with the police even if it sounds like it, assuming you can get it.

Also since the times are very wide, I would question how they know it was your truck. Either it was witnessed in which case the times should be fairly narrow or they just know when they parked and came back to said car in which case they didnt witness it.

Sounds basically like a scam.

As others have said, deny all knowledge. Make them produce evidence that proves it was you. Assume you have zero fresh damage on your trailer? You didn’t feel or hear a thing so onus is entirely on the complainer to provide sufficent evidence.

biggriffin:
You should receive a copy of said “letter” never heard of anybody receiving a nip for a parking type incident, normally a local plod will appear, take a statement, then send that to the force in question,…

With police cuts they dont bother now. They just send a letter hoping for you to self incriminate. Fishing

If you are not the RK of the vehcile you dont fill the NIP form out.

pepipoo.com/

I smell a rat here too. Tell them that your lawyer needs to see all of the evidence. Good chance that they will try some one else.

grumpyken52:
If you say that you have no knowledge of the Incedent and no damage to your vehicle it is then upto the other party or the police to provide proof that you are guilty .
Without evidence of some type it won’t progress , without evidence all you need is to give the details of any tom ■■■■ or harry that passes by at about the correct time and accuse them of damaging your vehicle .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That’s how I think.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

alamcculloch:
I smell a rat here too. Tell them that your lawyer needs to see all of the evidence. Good chance that they will try some one else.

I will surely ask for some kind of evidence. You can’t just write a letter and that’s it.

truckerjimbo:

biggriffin:

With police cuts they dont bother now. They just send a letter hoping for you to self incriminate. Fishing

If you are not the RK of the vehcile you dont fill the NIP form out.

pepipoo.com/

Yes, they could be trying their luck. I won’t do anything until they produce some sort of evidence.

trevHCS:

biggriffin:

Thats what I’m thinking. Would double check the address given as it might not have anything to do with the police even if it sounds like it, assuming you can get it.

Also since the times are very wide, I would question how they know it was your truck. Either it was witnessed in which case the times should be fairly narrow or they just know when they parked and came back to said car in which case they didnt witness it.

Sounds basically like a scam.

Yes mate. I thought about hacking addresses and phones straight away and all seems to match. But it amazes me how fast the letter and nip arrived. A day!