New starter decision

Hi.
I have been lurking and learning from
The forum while obtaining my licences . In Dec’ 7And my class 1 last week.
I have just been Fortunate enough to be offered my first permanent semi decent class 2 gig, but I really want to get started on artics now .
So with no Hgv experience should I take the class 2 gig for a bit or should I jump on the Agency to try and get some class 1 experience straight away ?
Cheers
Man D.

I’m an agency fan. I like them.

But if I was paying my bills and had a choice between full time and agency - full time every day of the week.

Agencies will use and abuse you. And you need to the same with them. You can’t rely on them. With no experience you will be bottom of the order in terms of jobs. But it’s your call.

Mandora:
Hi.
I have been lurking and learning from
The forum while obtaining my licences . In Dec’ 7And my class 1 last week.
I have just been Fortunate enough to be offered my first permanent semi decent class 2 gig, but I really want to get started on artics now .
So with no Hgv experience should I take the class 2 gig for a bit or should I jump on the Agency to try and get some class 1 experience straight away ?
Cheers
Man D.

It’s what you want to do if you want to drive artics then focus on that if you can afford it
You spent all that money for a purpose i think it’s harder to move up to artics from a class 2 in the way employer’s look at it

Take the class 2 job. It’s guaranteed work the agency isn’t. You have no experience you’ll be bottom of the list at the agency. Apply for class 1 work while employed.

harrawaffa:
Take the class 2 job. It’s guaranteed work the agency isn’t. You have no experience you’ll be bottom of the list at the agency. Apply for class 1 work while employed.

Very good advice. Take the full time job.

Drive the proper lorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t you look for a permanent class 1 job? I know it’s area dependant but I found a lot of places were happy to offer me as a new pass.

You may well find somone willing to train you if your working for them directly as opposed to being agency and only there for a day or 2

Does the class 2 firm also run artics? If so I’d take it and pester the TM and I’m sure you will get a chance soon enough

Mandora:
my class 1 last week

With no HGV experience I’d say take the semi decent class 2 job,if the money is ok for you, see how it goes…you’ve got your class 1 in the bag so move up when your ready,If they run class 1 s am sure they will be throwing you keys soon enough…with the usual …see how you get on…give us a ring (SATNDARD)while the TM stuff,s cakes in his mouth saying who’s birthday is it. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

When I passed my tests I did a full time class 2 job for 3 months. During this time I also registered with an agency and got the odd Saturday on class 1 for experience. Then I got a break with the agency who wanted to put me into Homebase in the week, so I left my class 2 job to do more work on class 1. It turned out that I got full time hours at Homebase. Then I signed up with another agency and immediately got full time work at a local haulier. Within 2 months I was employed on that haulier’s books, and stayed there for 10 years.

Perhaps you may want to consider asking agencies for Saturday work, and see where it goes. Watch your hours though, and make sure your contract ‘allows’ you to work for another employer. Some do, some don’t. My class 2 job was only 45 hours duty per week, and there was no WTD or digital tachos back then. If you’re already working 50+ hours per week, it might be tricky squeezing in a Saturday.

Good luck mate.

Great input , cheers.
The class 2 appears to be the winning majority and it does seem the most sensible option.
Unfortunately they don’t run Artics to move up to
Or I would be all over it.

Im fairly confident I could get a start on Artics at a local company but they have a really bad reputation.(lots of drivers though) and the pay per hour is less.

On a positive, these tickets have given me options.
I didn’t have that 6mths ago!

Will let you know.

Cheers.

get a foot on the ladder get a feel for the job then start looking for artic work we all have to start somewhere

If you have no shame about you, then go the class 2 route. Embarrassing but if needs must. I personally would get a start on class 1 from the word go if I was you. Even a rubbish low paid bottom of the pile class 1 job is a step up from a class 2 job, from this you will find it easier to progress up the ladder to the better class 1 work.