New Member-Advice needed

Hi guys,

Been thinking about a career in HGV driving for a while now. I currently work in the Asbestos removal industry but don’t enjoy it anymore. The driving part of the job is the only bit of the job I actually do enjoy. I’m driving up and down the country towing shower units so there is slight similarity with HGV driving(only a bit though!). Been driving best part of 20 years now so have a fairly decent knowledge of the UK road systems which I think will also help me out. Have a counterbalance and telescopic FLT licence also.

Eventually I would like to drive in Europe but obviously I realise I will have to do my rip in Class 2 first then move on to class 1.

I’m based near Cannock so could anyone recommend a good place to do my training and what’s the average cost?

My only concern is getting work once I got my licence. I hear most companies wont touch new drivers. Is this true?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We are not a thousand miles from you - about an hour’s drive.

As for getting work, it’s always been a challenge for new passes - and yet everyone gets a start at some point. What you mustn’t do is to rely on getting a prime job immediately after passing your test. Some companies do have a policy of no new drivers. Others, particularly the smaller operators, can be more sensible and put the effort into a new driver who will then work “their” way.

I have no idea what effect the current Covid-19 situation will have on job opportunities. Could go either way realistically.

If you want further help, contact me either on the forum, or by pm, or call Tracey (working from home) on 01623 555661. She will be able to offer a medical appointment (which is remarkable at the moment) and get you started. Folks who leave it till everything finds a new normal might well be faced with a disappointing wait. Those who prepare now with theory etc will be ready to roll.

Feel free to ask about us on the forum - got nothing to hide!

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Have you read the link in my signature below :question: :bulb:

Good day Rossco , unfortunately there are not many UK companies that operate to Europe , the work is now done by much cheaper Eastern European hauliers with very low wages for drivers , in some cases they only come home for a few weeks off at Christmas , this pre Covid days .

It’s common for a Romanian or Bulgarian firm to have their trucks with Spanish number plates , standards of vehicle safety in each country can vary with regard to regular maintenance , this is called flagging out .
Pre virus days , UK firms doing European work were concert / rock and roll / conventions / house removals for military or private / exhibitions / Formula One / All types of motorsports .
Some types of transport are given permits to run when there are truck bans for general haulage but perishable goods are good to go .
The positives for driving in Europe is free parking , better quality food , amazing scenery , drivers treated with more respect .

The negative’s are court deposits to be paid at the roadside which can be 20,000 euro’s for something trivial in the UK , these fines can be contested later at court but nobody bothers due to the cost of a lawyer , time off work , traveling expenses .

For European work , plenty of Irish firms to try . Or work for Waberers in Hungary with your delivery and collection details sent to the cab computer in English , so no language barrier .

It’s statistically proven that UK - Euro work has reduced beyond belief. Spend an hour on the M20, count the number of foreign plates and compare to British. It really is scary. But, what happens when Brexit is fully in place? No-one has been brave enough to come out and forecast how much that might improve our position, but I’m sure it will. Just a matter of how much.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: