New driver - advice required on manual entries

Neeko1988:
Ok so if a written manual entry is no good could somebody maybe talk me through it on a vu.

For example I put my card in and press yes on manual entry it will bring up the last time I drove this could be days/weeks ago. I would put in when the previous shift finished. Then press it to today’s date and manual enter the time I started my office work that day so example 9am and put it as other work.

Then do I need to put a finish time in for the other work for example 1pm and then start driving?

It then brings working time breaks into play etc doesn’t it.

Think I need to go on a course!! I thought when people said above about written records it would be easy

Best video I’ve seen on manual entries is this one mate. Tidy up the finish of your last driving shift as well as the start of your new driving shift and everything/ day in between when not driving but working, use a diary.

Great - thanks for that really appreciated it I’ll have a watch and hopefully get my head around it

Thanks again

Ok so Ive watched that video and I understand what I need to do however on the video it shows his last withdrawal and then he manually adds when he finished that shift.

Then he adds his daily rest to 7am what would I do here if my last withdrawal was weeks apart?

can I just manually input when I started my other work (office) without having to explain the time between my last withdrawal?

Ive just watched another video and it says to manual input the time u finished the shift after u last put card in then use the ? For the time between last withdrawal and start of new shift if there is a long time between drives. This true?

Neeko1988:
Ok so Ive watched that video and I understand what I need to do however on the video it shows his last withdrawal and then he manually adds when he finished that shift.

Then he adds his daily rest to 7am what would I do here if my last withdrawal was weeks apart?

can I just manually input when I started my other work (office) without having to explain the time between my last withdrawal?

Where he put in the daily rest with the bed symbol, you would put the entire time from the end of the last driving shift to the start of the current driving shift with the ? symbol.

You cannot use the bed symbol because you haven’t been on rest all the time, the ? symbol symbolises time that cannot be accounted for, such as time that covers several days when you’ve been working and resting but not in-scope of EU regulations so not using a tachograph.

You need to know what make and type of tachograph you’ll be using, there are basically only 2 makes of tachograph you’re likely to have VDO and Stoneridge, they work a bit different so it would be helpful to know what make you will use, the type (there are types 1 or 2) will nearly always depend on the age of the vehicle.

Neeko1988:
Ive just watched another video and it says to manual input the time u finished the shift after u last put card in then use the ? For the time between last withdrawal and start of new shift if there is a long time between drives. This true?

Yes it is true :smiley:

The ? is time that cannot be accounted for, for instance time over several days when you’ve been working but not as a HGV driver, or if you’ve been using an analogue tachograph for a day or so you’d record the time on a digital tachograph as unaccounted time with the ? symbol.
The ? is basically any activity that you cannot or should not or need not record with one of the symbols in the digital tachograph, i.e. unaccounted for time.

Right I’m going to put my tin hat on for this statement… who holds the O licence YOU■■? I know everyone has to learn & start from the beginning BUT shouldn’t a O licence holder know how to do manual entries & the regs■■?

Or am I’m to cynical??

Thanks tachograph that clears it up now I know about the ? Symbol. That’s perfect thank you

And no it’s no me who owns the o licence it’s the company I work for which is a small business.

I totally understand the tacho law etc and have passed transport managers cpc it was just using of the actual vu I didn’t understand!!

Thanks again everybody you’ve been a great help

When on not driving, but working days we must record this as other work with start and finish times, my question is, is this ok to be recorded on a digital diary (my iPhone), do we think DVSA would accept this in place of a paper diary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boris1971:
When on not driving, but working days we must record this as other work with start and finish times, my question is, is this ok to be recorded on a digital diary (my iPhone), do we think DVSA would accept this in place of a paper diary?

I can only suggest you email the DVSA and see if they will give you an answer in writing.

In the DVSA guidance booklet they say records for none driving days should be done on printouts or charts, personally I don’t see what difference it makes what the records are written on because they can be binned after 28 days anyway :slight_smile:

I think the reason for wanting them on charts/printouts is that those media have a prescribed format which means that anyone (not just the author) can read and understand the record with little chance of ambiguity.