Mission creep.. inward facing cameras

Bend over you’ll need this

Do you know where cameras are? If so I’d be covering them up on breaks and rests. And see how long before they noticed

switchlogic:
Do you know where cameras are? If so I’d be covering them up on breaks and rests. And see how long before they noticed

I did exactly that at a previous place I worked with only 3 trucks. They installed driver facing ones on the passenger side A-pillar in all the trucks. I put a piece of black insulating tape over it in my truck and 2 weeks later was told that the camera company was booked to come out and look at it because it had gone faulty as the recordings were all black screens :laughing: . Evidently it didn’t occur to them that there was some foul play happening, but a few weeks later after I’d reapplied the tape :laughing: they must have had a look in the truck one night after I’d finished and discovered my handywork. A heated argument over it followed where I argued that despite my impeccable driving record with them, they clearly didn’t trust me. They denied it and said that the driver facing camera was there for my “protection” in the event of a non-fault accident. They could, for example, prove to the authorities that I wasn’t using my phone. In short, a circular argument that ultimately boiled down to them not trusting me or my word. They wouldn’t back down, I wouldn’t back down. I left before I was pushed.

DCPCFML:

switchlogic:

I did exactly that at a previous place I worked with only 3 trucks. They installed driver facing ones on the passenger side A-pillar in all the trucks. I put a piece of black insulating tape over it in my truck and 2 weeks later was told that the camera company was booked to come out and look at it because it had gone faulty as the recordings were all black screens :laughing: . Evidently it didn’t occur to them that there was some foul play happening, but a few weeks later after I’d reapplied the tape :laughing: they must have had a look in the truck one night after I’d finished and discovered my handywork. A heated argument over it followed where I argued that despite my impeccable driving record with them, they clearly didn’t trust me. They denied it and said that the driver facing camera was there for my “protection” in the event of a non-fault accident. They could, for example, prove to the authorities that I wasn’t using my phone. In short, a circular argument that ultimately boiled down to them not trusting me or my word. They wouldn’t back down, I wouldn’t back down. I left before I was pushed.

Good on the last bit. What ever happened to innocent before proven guilty?

I don’t see why there needs to be cameras when all fleet trucks are tracked anyway… Treat your drivers well enough and then you can trust them to do the job properly.

switchlogic:

This can lead to disciplinary. Also they can be viewed whenever they want as they have a 4g sim card

We’ve had at least 2 drivers sacked for covering up the cameras. It was quite common to jump in a motor and see tape over the lens. But I haven’t seen one covered for ages, not since the sackings last April.

Kiribati268:
Good on the last bit. What ever happened to innocent before proven guilty?

I don’t see why there needs to be cameras when all fleet trucks are tracked anyway… Treat your drivers well enough and then you can trust them to do the job properly.

What annoyed me was that since they were fitted, nothing of what they said they were there for has been done. Eg. one of their drivers was a phone addict and couldn’t go for more than 30 seconds without checking his phone for updates on his social media. It was well known by all the drivers and management also knew. Twice in 3 months he put the truck in a ditch on straight roads which we strongly suspect was due to him staring at his phone screen rather than out of the windscreen. What did management do about it? Did they review the cab footage and sack him? No. Nothing happened. Which suggests that the camera installation was more about control and general spying when it suits them rather than anything to do with “safety”. When I say “control” I mean that they are there to catch out the low-hanging fruit such as the good drivers who don’t have bumps, scrapes, accidents, drive well, look after the equipment and return good fuel figures, but they’ll haul you in the office for a disciplinary because they have footage of you taking a swig of your coffee or reaching for a bag of sweets to munch while you were on a cruise control on a deserted M69. Meanwhile, those bad drivers who are always having bumps and bring back the wagons with corner panels missing are ignored and left alone.

commonrail:
Problem is…if you’re on a decent crack
What do you do?
Jack in…and go back to some cackhole,on £10 straight thru.

Yep,I wouldn’t hesitate in doing so,my morals mean more then a couple of quid an hour unfortunately,it’s disgraceful that companies do this in my opinion and I wouldn’t tolerate it,that’s just me and I’m not having a go at anyone that does put up with it but I personally wouldn’t,they can see on the outward cameras what’s happening,inside the cab is my space.

My dilemma is that I’m on the best wage I’ve ever had, the perfect shift pattern to suit my work/life balance, and I can’t find that anywhere else. My wage affords me a good life and good savings. Leaving that would be a big deal. But my working life is having an impact on my physical health, especially since all this surveillance was installed. I get lower back pain, tiredness, and overall feelings of roughness on my rota’d shifts, but feel healthy and fine on my nights off. Before all these cameras I loved my job, but I’ve never got used to the cameras and micro management and am making active moves to leave the industry. I’ve earmarked April 2022 for various reasons. The sad thing is that I’m equally as productive whether I’m being watched or not. If I’ve got job A, B, and C to do in a night. they get done in the same manner, efficiency, and time with or without cameras. I don’t understand why I/we have to be under such scrutiny all the time. It all goes against why I chose lorry driving as a career in the first place.

Older trucks on our fleet have inward and outward cameras anything 2 yrs or less has outward only, all types are the SD card and are only viewed in event of an accident, damage or complaint against us (this is in our contract). I’m currently in one of the older ones and where the camera is on the passenger corner pillar means it gets knocked down when I close my curtains :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: Its does show good footage of my 2l bottles of water for a brew :laughing: Been like it 9 months and nothing has been said, tbh don’t think anything will be either as they’re not that bothered and do trust us (they were put in for insurance reasons apparently after quite a few claims)

This has all come about because your immigrant workforce employed by your firms are incompitant and can’t drive smashing equipment having accidents, on their phones or watching dvds their insurance premiums have gone through the roof because of such people and now your paying the price for their incompetence.
That is the FACT of the matter.
Call me racist whatever but that is the whole reason for this and nothing else so I hope you enjoy working with bogladanski, next time your driving smile at the camera because you know who to thank.

^^^^ don’t let rich people tell you who you should hate mate.

Including agency drivers our place has around a 50/50 mix of EE and indigenous Brits. The accident rate is probably split 50/50 too. Home grown are just as capable of destroying stuff too.

^ this is the the Lytx promotional vid showing it in action

It will record continuously and can be watched by anyone at any time with the LYTX login details. I left a place that i enjoyed working at because they installed them without even telling or asking drivers for permission to continuously record them all day long.

the maoster:
^^^^ don’t let rich people tell you who you should hate mate.

Including agency drivers our place has around a 50/50 mix of EE and indigenous Brits. The accident rate is probably split 50/50 too. Home grown are just as capable of destroying stuff too.

Absolutely of course they are, but think back pre EE invasion did you have all this crap installed then ?
There’s your answer

Absolutely of course they are, but think back pre EE invasion did you have all this crap installed then ?
There’s your answer

The tech didn’t exist then did it? Use your brain

Look at it this way. Having cameras that are monitored live your keeping People in. Work as …companys will have to employ somebody to sit and.watch them.

But being serious I can see a point eventually when trucks will come with them factory fitted.
And London will one day insist they have to be fitted or you cant come in.

Be Interesting if any ee based haulers have all.these cameras or.is it.just an English obsession with monitoring your every. Movement?

edd1974:
Look at it this way. Having cameras that are monitored live your keeping People in. Work as …companys will have to employ somebody to sit and.watch them.

But being serious I can see a point eventually when trucks will come with them factory fitted.
And London will one day insist they have to be fitted or you cant come in.

Be Interesting if any ee based haulers have all.these cameras or.is it.just an English obsession with monitoring your every. Movement?

youtu.be/urrqW4_3IBg

robthedog:
This has all come about because your immigrant workforce employed by your firms are incompitant and can’t drive smashing equipment having accidents, on their phones or watching dvds their insurance premiums have gone through the roof because of such people and now your paying the price for their incompetence.
That is the FACT of the matter.
Call me racist whatever but that is the whole reason for this and nothing else so I hope you enjoy working with bogladanski, next time your driving smile at the camera because you know who to thank.

Sorry mate, but you’re talking stereotypical populist dogcrap.
I ain’t going to call you a racist, but that comment is up there with stuff that went on in the 30s in Germany ffs…pick a certain group, blame them for everything that goes wrong, and perpetuate it with unsubstantiated made up ‘‘facts’’, that ain’t actual facts, but statements to fit an agenda…ie propaganda. :bulb:
You do however have a point, a lot of high profile newsworthy occasions where bad driving is a cause of death has been down to E.Euro drivers, but there is an equal amount of British born absolute cretins who sit behind the wheels of artics.

Blame the system not minority groups, the system that allows you to gain a licence and allow you to be let loose with 44 tonnes when you are totally incompetent.
Make the courses harder, make the tests harder and stricter followed by probationary periods, instead of it being solely a commercial setting to make around 3k, by teaching somebody to drive around a set test route, the way you teach a parrot to talk.

Trucks are far too easy to drive these days, ANYBODY who has a car licence can pass a test to drive one, but not everybody can drive one competently and safely by differentiating them from driving a car.
THAT,.along with total subservient drivers who have no backbone or stomach for a confrontation, is why we have cameras, not minority groups who should maybe have some kind of star stitched to their jackets…if you see what I mean. :bulb:

simcor:
They are viewable remotely by being able to remotely view any files uploaded to the server, it would cost a small fortune to upload files constantly not to mention the server bandwidth and storage required to do so to be able to view any moment of your driving.

I’f I’m wrong I’ll happily be corrected with evidence but as far as know that is the only systems that are currently I use.

Do you happen to know what the system is called on the main box usually behind passenger seat or somewhere like that usually a fairly large type box that wouldn’t fit behind dashboard and I’ll look into it if you can let me know what system it is to give you a better idea.

Have a look on Whites arsebook page, they have outwards facing cameras on all their trucks which they can remotely log into and live stream, so to say it’s not likely is wrong.

I’d instantly leave.
I know some cant do this but I would.
I’d sooner work as a forklift driver or a shunter driver.

I dont mind front facing cameras. But if I am in a truck 12 hours a day. I am going to at some point have a nibble or drink something while driving. Maybe that is wrong and well if it is I dont want to be a driver.
ps: No I am not talking about tucking into a yoghurt or a bargain bucket of KFC.

Im not even against cameras to be honest but I have seen how they are place and the feed. They are literally staring right in your face. Imagine if this happened in a office.

theguardian.com/business/20 … nfractions

This is basically the same thing.
I encourage you to read the article. The issue is not the livefeed it is the artifical intelligence that can detect infractions that are highlighted for your manager to look at.