Mission creep.. inward facing cameras

wide-load85:
It’s times like these am so glad I work for a small family run business that still obeys rules and regs as they have to but doesn’t go over the top like this. During a post work Friday pint with our gaffer (imagine that, we not only know his name unlike the blue chip lot but he is actually on our level) he mentioned in cab cameras becoming more frequent… at which point one of our drivers pointed out if he had one he would be sat naked as much as possible and he would stick his arse right up to the camera. Boss laughed and said good job I trust you lot and leave you to run your week yourselves. Job done

Sounds like the firm I’m going to work for , small but up and coming with about 14 trucks

New pastures

If you are doing nothing wrong, you’ll.have nothing to worry about. :bulb:

Don’t mean or believe that for one minute btw ,.I just thought I’d take the opportunity to be the first to say it before some prick does :laughing: …who actually does believe it,.and means it. :smiley:

robroy:
If you are doing nothing wrong, you’ll.have nothing to worry about. :bulb:

Don’t mean or believe that for one minute btw ,.I just thought I’d take the opportunity to be the first to say it before some prick does :laughing: …who actually believes that and means it. :smiley:

Don’t beat about the bush Roy why don’t you just come out and say it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

New pastures

But there are people out there who actually think that.
The serial conformists, the yes men, and it’s because of these sorry arsed ■■■■ s that the rest of us have to put up with a lot of crap.
I’ve said on here before, when my lot got the incident cameras fitted, they all complained amongst each other, but about 2 or 3 of us kicked off about it, but the majority ruled. :unamused:
So it was their way or the highway, if we’d all just parked up on Monday am until they were removed,.and replaced with outward facing only, wtf could they have done.

Their argument is ‘That is the way things are going’, which is absolutely right, but only because there is little or no opposition, except as somebody just said when you are lucky enough to work for a Union firm.

I’m reasonably happy with the job I do at present, but if a constant surveillance camera was put in my cab, I honestly could not settle, I’d be constantly aware of it…so it would be the thing that would unfortunately make me jack a job that I like.

robroy:
But there are people out there who actually think that.
The serial conformists, the yes men, and it’s because of these sorry arsed [zb] s that the rest of us have to put up with a lot of crap.
I’ve said on here before, when lot got the incident cameras fitted, they all complained amongst each other, but about 2 or 3 of us kicked off about it, but the majority ruled. :unamused:
So it was their way or the highway, if we’d all just parked up on Monday am until they were removed,.and replaced with outward facing only, wtf could they have done.

When my lot first put inward facing cameras in I spoke with others and said maybe we should all down tools, and the general response I got was “well, it’s the way the world is going, what can you do?”. They couldn’t see the irony in that they were part of why the world is going that way. I guess they were all mortgaged to the hilt of max’d out hours and were only one missed payment away from bankruptcy to care too much about cameras.

ezydriver:

simcor:

ezydriver:

simcor:
I suggest you check with someone who knows what they are talking about.

It would be impossible to have to a live direct feed to the office from every truck, not too mention the amounts of data required to send that amount of live feed via a SIM card.

They will have a SIM card in the system that will upload any footage from a harsh brake or harsh cornering event much the same as the current system. The only difference is that short file of x minutes will be uploaded to a server for the managers to view.

So they really are not any different than the system you already have accepted.

They are also linked to an ignition live and won’t stay on for long after the ignition is turned off, so no one would be able to watch yiu when parked up for the night.

But you have 2 choices stay or leave.

Our front facing cameras are exactly the same and they are 3g not even 4g to upload footage.

They wouldn’t need to have a live feed running from every truck all the time. But surely they could choose to connect to any truck any time and turn the camera on at will for, say, 5 minutes?

Our old cameras were linked with the forward facing ones. If the circuit worked we saw a solid blue light on the FF camera, anything other than a solid blue light meant the circuit was faulty, and we were obliged to report it (usually a corrupted SD card). But they’ve replaced the FF cameras too, meaning the solid blue light has gone. It seems the responsibility for reporting whether the cameras work has been removed from the drivers. If that’s the case, then surely they have the remote ability to check the camera? If they have the remote ability to do that, then surely they have the remote ability to view them at any given moment, no?

Like I said there is no way to remotely connect to a live feed of our front facing cameras. And secondly do you really think someone would have to time to spend all day remotely connecting to cameras for no reason at all just to check up on people?

As I said most work on 3G which is incredibly slow for the reasonable high quality footage from cameras these days. It juts wouldn’t be very practical currently.

Unless trucks were fitted with 4G or 5G WiFi then it is extremely unlikely to anywhere near that advanced or capable.

Ok, well, I’ll do some investigation and get the info on them to ascertain all this. Even if we’re on 3G now, how long before 5G is used for this very purpose? hence the thread title. How long before every truck is on a constant live feed? 2 years? 5 years? That this will happen is very unsettling. I fully expect it from my lot.

I don’t think somebody is spending all day connecting to the cameras. It’s that they can connect, and I wouldn’t or couldn’t know which bothers me.

Even with 5g the cost to monitor cameras 24 7 remotely would be very expensive cost wise to have a live feed then a member of staff to monitor them. The point I’m trying to make is you had already accepted the cameras before hand. The only difference now is the camera can remotely upload the footage to server as opposed to taking the SD card out. And uploaded files will be a max of a few minutes long when an event is recorded, it depends on what classes as an event with the system, harsh braking certainly will, harsh cornering setting the G sensor off certainly will.

But as said if it bothers you that much now its time to look for a new job, but that should have been when they first put them in.

I will add I don’t agree with driver facing cameras either but it would depend on what the job and pay was like as to whether I would be looking for a new job just because of a camera I’m not keen on having in the cab.

robroy:
I’ve said on here before, when my lot got the incident cameras fitted, they all complained amongst each other, but about 2 or 3 of us kicked off about it, but the majority ruled. :unamused:

Sorry I’m confused here Rob, so your saying you have a driver facing camera fitted in your truck?

simcor:
Even with 5g the cost to monitor cameras 24 7 remotely would be very expensive cost wise to have a live feed then a member of staff to monitor them. The point I’m trying to make is you had already accepted the cameras before hand. The only difference now is the camera can remotely upload the footage to server as opposed to taking the SD card out. And uploaded files will be a max of a few minutes long when an event is recorded, it depends on what classes as an event with the system, harsh braking certainly will, harsh cornering setting the G sensor off certainly will.

But as said if it bothers you that much now its time to look for a new job, but that should have been when they first put them in.

I will add I don’t agree with driver facing cameras either but it would depend on what the job and pay was like as to whether I would be looking for a new job just because of a camera I’m not keen on having in the cab.

I’ll check out the specifics in more detail. The fitter bloke led me to believe they were viewable/watchable remotely. He might have been on a wind-up for all I know.

ezydriver:

simcor:

I’ll check out the specifics in more detail. The fitter bloke led me to believe they were viewable/watchable remotely. He might have been on a wind-up for all I know.

They are viewable remotely by being able to remotely view any files uploaded to the server, it would cost a small fortune to upload files constantly not to mention the server bandwidth and storage required to do so to be able to view any moment of your driving.

I’f I’m wrong I’ll happily be corrected with evidence but as far as know that is the only systems that are currently I use.

Do you happen to know what the system is called on the main box usually behind passenger seat or somewhere like that usually a fairly large type box that wouldn’t fit behind dashboard and I’ll look into it if you can let me know what system it is to give you a better idea.

simcor:

ezydriver:

simcor:

They are viewable remotely by being able to remotely view any files uploaded to the server, it would cost a small fortune to upload files constantly not to mention the server bandwidth and storage required to do so to be able to view any moment of your driving.

I’f I’m wrong I’ll happily be corrected with evidence but as far as know that is the only systems that are currently I use.

Do you happen to know what the system is called on the main box usually behind passenger seat or somewhere like that usually a fairly large type box that wouldn’t fit behind dashboard and I’ll look into it if you can let me know what system it is to give you a better idea.

Cheers. I’ll have a look next time I get a motor fitted with them. There’s was a brand and model number on the camera, but I don’t suppose that’s any use?

ezydriver:

simcor:

ezydriver:

simcor:

Cheers. I’ll have a look next time I get a motor fitted with them. There’s was a brand and model number on the camera, but I don’t suppose that’s any use?

It would be useful yes. Brand and model would be perfect.

Hang your glove on it, thats what i did
i was doing two days a week in cosco for a few months until they gave me one with a camera pointing at me, i put a glove over it before i turned the key and finished my shift,
when i got back they said it would only be viewed after an accident :unamused: , and my two shifts disappeared… figure that one out

simcor:

robroy:

Sorry I’m confused here Rob, so your saying you have a driver facing camera fitted in your truck?

Why are you confused, I’ve mentioned many times on these threads, that we had the incident type fitted, the type that are activated if you brake hard or whatever, facing both ways.
I ain’t got a problem with the outward facing one, but I don’t agree with the one facing me.
Tbf due to the fact I don’t drive like a ■■■■ it is seldomly activated.
I have light sensitive eyes, my visor is permanently down, so all they get is a picture of my chest if/when it does anyway.
I even went to the point of getting a Dr’s note verifying my eye situation, this is the sort of things you have to do when you work for that type of firm. :unamused:

I have found Fleet Focus cameras online that use 4g and also can be remotely viewed at any time so it seems systems have moved on a bit since I last did some research. Sadly that another step too far but as I also said it would depend on the job its T&C and the pay as to whether it would be time to move jobs.

Let’s hope the are not Fleet Focus branded and one of the earlier systems.

robroy:

simcor:

robroy:

Why are you confused, I’ve mentioned many times on these threads, that we had the incident type fitted, the type that are activated if you brake hard or whatever, facing both ways.
I ain’t got a problem with the outward facing one, but I don’t agree with the one facing me.
I have light sensitive eyes, my visor is permanently down, so all they get is a picture of my chest if/when it does anyway.
I even went to the point of getting a Dr’s note verifying my eye situation, this is the sort of things you have to do when you work for that type of firm. :unamused:

Regardless of the type of system fitted I wouldn’t have thought you’d accept them being so vocal about it that’s all. Not having a dig was genuinely confused, maybe I’ve not noticed you mention it before.

robroy:

simcor:

robroy:

They are BOTH recording all the time, not just for G-sensor triggers. What would be the point of them only starting to record AFTER the G-sensor has been triggered? It would be pointless as the only footage would be the smoldering remains of your truck which would tell them nothing about how it happened. From what I understand, recorded footage from both cameras is saved until the card or HDD is full and then the oldest data is overwritten, so they could download the data from both and watch you knocking one out or picking your arse earlier in the day if they wanted to, but they probably wouldn’t bother viewing the footage from either camera and only view the protected files saved from a G-sensor trigger.

I note that on some trucks I drive, the lights on the dashcam continue to flash up to an hour after the ignition is turned off and key removed, presumably recording you on your break time if you stay in the cab.

simcor:

robroy:

simcor:

robroy:

Regardless of the type of system fitted I wouldn’t have thought you’d accept them being so vocal about it that’s all. Not having a dig was genuinely confused, maybe I’ve not noticed you mention it before.

Yep,.I knew exactly what you were getting at when you asked mate. :bulb:
I was vocal, trust me, I take it as an insult to my professionalism, and do not accept the official line bs, that ‘they are there to protect the driver’…yeh like ■■■■ they are. :unamused:

I weighed up the situation, and decided that me and two others could do nothing, so as I said, the sun visor is permanently down, the eye condition I have is no lie, so in this case it works for me.

Problem is…if you’re on a decent crack
What do you do?
Jack in…and go back to some cackhole,on £10 straight thru.

If they need to watch you all day they shouldn’t have employed you. You need to trust your drivers.

I would never work for anyone that did this

Or… I’d just hang my hat over the cam.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

DCPCFML:

robroy:

simcor:

robroy:

They are BOTH recording all the time, not just for G-sensor triggers. What would be the point of them only starting to record AFTER the G-sensor has been triggered? It would be pointless as the only footage would be the smoldering remains of your truck which would tell them nothing about how it happened. From what I understand, recorded footage from both cameras is saved until the card or HDD is full and then the oldest data is overwritten, so they could download the data from both and watch you knocking one out or picking your arse earlier in the day if they wanted to, but they probably wouldn’t bother viewing the footage from either camera and only view the protected files saved from a G-sensor trigger.

I note that on some trucks I drive, the lights on the dashcam continue to flash up to an hour after the ignition is turned off and key removed, presumably recording you on your break time if you stay in the cab.

Firstly I believe very little what I am told in general,.and virtually nothing what I am told by my firm…
However…
What I am led to understand is they record 7 secs before the incident and 7 secs afterwards, so yeh of course they are constantly recording, but again I am led to understand the remaining footage is not kept nor accessible retrospectively.

They had a truck nicked a few years ago,.so if they could access periods at random, then the villains would have been banged to rights guv…they couldn’t, so they weren’t. :bulb: