Ministry, North Circular last night

Anyone get stopped on here and ferried round the MoT station last night/evening? I did.

The old bill and VI were out in force last night on the stretch between the M11 and A10 on the North Circular.

They couldn’t find fault with any of my tachos back to last Friday after much scrutiny (to my surprise!) and couldn’t find fault with either the unit nor the trailer except for my nearside headlight bulb had blown at some point that day. Having said that, they did give me a prohibition notice because of the six wheels on the trailer, two of them were missing spray supression flaps on the mud-guards. Not knowing enough about it to comment I called the gaffer and told him and he said he’d take it up with them direct as the other 7 trailers he owns have all recently been through the test and non of them have a full compliment of spray flaps, some none at all. They have mud-guards on the trailer, but not spray supression flaps and they’ve all passed the MoT okay. Ho-hum.

The VI man was impressed that he’d seen on one tacho “extra hour rest compensating for reduced rest on 28/11” :sunglasses:

Brgds

Speedy

Edited Word replaced with something more suitable ATKIG11

Speedy, out if interest do you leave your mode switch on break all the time or not? I don’t personally and my boss reckons you can (if you can then what about other work?). This would settle it quite nicely from my point of view.

Thanks.

Ian.

Ian,
youre supposed to switch modes for driving and rest periods, but other work can be recorded on the driving mode. Dont worry, it wont show a speed trace, so if anyone checks your chart, theyll know you weren`t driving. I was once stopped at Bingham and given a verbal warning by the ministry for driving while having the tacho on rest mode, their argument being, how do they distinguish between breaks and other work. Hope this is of some help
Regards
Trev

While we’re talking tachos can anybody answer these two?

The other day I omitted to put my tacho to rest mode when I stopped for a brew. Is there a way of manually noting this or would the time never count as break?

I have driven some trucks with the newer type of tacho where the disc goes in a drawer like a CD. These tachos did not have a rest mode once the disc is in so how does it show?

Thanks

Curious and Confused Calv

In answer to the first question, if you forget to put your tacho on break, im sure you could make a note on the back and a manual entry.
Second, the CD style tachos, if you press the number 1 or 2 if you have 2 tachos in for double manning, it will scroll through the option, ie bed (rest) crossed hammers or the box with diag line through it, then when you start driving, it will go to the driving symbol.

Also, if anyone can answer this, i was under the impression, that if you are double manning, when you are passenger, you can take a kip or whatever whilst the vehicle is being driven by the other driver, and you can count this as part of your rest/break, however, as soon as the wheels of the truck start to turn, both 1 and 2 go to driving mode and you cannot change it.
Unless i was misinformed in the first place regarding the second driver taking rest whilst the vehicle is in motion??

The second driver can take his breaks in the cab, but not daily rest. Daily rest can only be taken when the vehicle is parked up.
Doesn’t matter if it is moving or not for the guy on break.

Thanks Trev :wink: .

Gurner:
In answer to the first question, if you forget to put your tacho on break, im sure you could make a note on the back and a manual entry.
Second, the CD style tachos, if you press the number 1 or 2 if you have 2 tachos in for double manning, it will scroll through the option, ie bed (rest) crossed hammers or the box with diag line through it, then when you start driving, it will go to the driving symbol.

Also, if anyone can answer this, i was under the impression, that if you are double manning, when you are passenger, you can take a kip or whatever whilst the vehicle is being driven by the other driver, and you can count this as part of your rest/break, however, as soon as the wheels of the truck start to turn, both 1 and 2 go to driving mode and you cannot change it.
Unless i was misinformed in the first place regarding the second driver taking rest whilst the vehicle is in motion??

You can only take a break from driving in a moving vehicle as said above but with the cassette type tacho I assume the only way to record it as rest is a manual entry on the reverse of the chart because as soon as the vehicle is moving the second driver automatically changes to duty (square) and no amount of button pressing will change it at least on my TGA