Metall load secure

So is it 37 straps or 3? :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:

It aint what you got. . .its how you use it. . . or so I`ve been assured.

By someone with a wry sympathetic smile.

Evil8Beezle:

4 on the front one, 2 on the rest and don’t drive like a ■■■■.

If an impact force occurs to cause them to move after said strapping method youl be dead anyway or at least looking forward to the impending impact to put you out of your misery… :wink:

Franglais:
it`s how you use it. . .

And I don’t doubt it! :stuck_out_tongue:
As I’ve never done coils I’ve just been watching this thread, but the pattern I’m seeing is that when the regs get quoted, numbers get silly! :laughing:
Should I ensure I’ve 60 straps on my unit? :open_mouth:

Educational though, as an ex Sea Scout :blush: I know a few knots, but hadn’t contemplated the benefits of the barrel hitch.
I’d have probably done a rolling hitch… :unamused:

I didn’t do that CPC module! :grimacing:
(Ironic grin)

Dipper_Dave:

4 on the front one, 2 on the rest and don’t drive like a ■■■■.

If an impact force occurs to cause them to move after said strapping method youl be dead anyway or at least looking forward to the impending impact to put you out of your misery… :wink:
[/quote]
^
This…

AndrewG:

the nodding donkey:

Carryfast:

shep532:
No matter which way you look at it - no matter what recognised calculations or standards are used, the picture in the OP shows a load nowhere near secured to withstand potential forces that may act on the load under braking or swerving/cornering.

+1

If anybody would bother to read the TATA leaflet, it explains how to secure a coil with three straps.

Three straps would be all thats needed at the most. By the time some had got the calculator out and law book of physics your’d be down the road tipped and reloaded… :stuck_out_tongue:

+1

Get it strapped and get cracking, don’t drive like a dobber and she’ll be reet.

A.

Evil8Beezle:

Franglais:
it`s how you use it. . .

As I’ve never done coils I’ve just been watching this thread, but the pattern I’m seeing is that when the regs get quoted, numbers get silly! :laughing:

Educational though, as an ex Sea Scout :blush: I know a few knots, but hadn’t contemplated the benefits of the barrel hitch.

(Ironic grin)

At risk of being contradicted I`ll try and sum it up for you and the OP, Andreis.

For the reels as shown, loaded in that particular way. Not on a trailer with coil well. Chains not allowed.
Rubber friction matting should be under the pallets/stillages.
Straps should be threaded through the centre of the reels to pull the reels to both sides equally and to pull the reels back against braking forces.
Straps should of course be protected against chafing and damage.
Straps going simply over the top of the reels do very little good.

That`s my take on it all.
Disclaimer 1: This message timed at 22hr30 on a Saturday evening.
Disclaimer 2: What I and some other drivers term a “barrel hitch” is not what a matelot would understand from that term.
Disclaimer 3: What I say is subject to revision,at my discretion, at any time, depending on further evidence being offered, or significant bribes.

On a more serious note…how hard would it be for the customer ,who presumably has years of experience with this type of load to provide clear advance instruction to the haulier to ensure the driver is clued up and properly equipped for the job in hand? Or would that smack of professionalism…?

Franglais:

Evil8Beezle:

Franglais:
it`s how you use it. . .

(Ironic grin)

At risk of being contradicted I`ll try and sum it up for you and the OP, Andreis.

For the reels as shown, loaded in that particular way. Not on a trailer with coil well. Chains not allowed.
Rubber friction matting should be under the pallets/stillages.
Straps should be threaded through the centre of the reels to pull the reels to both sides equally and to pull the reels back against braking forces.
Straps should of course be protected against chafing and damage.
Straps going simply over the top of the reels do very little good.

That`s my take on it all.
Disclaimer 1: This message timed at 22hr30 on a Saturday evening.
Disclaimer 2: What I and some other drivers term a “barrel hitch” is not what a matelot would understand from that term.
Disclaimer 3: What I say is subject to revision,at my discretion, at any time, depending on further evidence being offered, or significant bribes.

LOL, Yep I get it. And I’d have chosen to go thought the middle if allowed…
Just think, if firms did apprenticeships and not some bollox CPC,knowledge would be passed on! :open_mouth:

TiredAndEmotional:
On a more serious note…how hard would it be for the customer ,who presumably has years of experience with this type of load to provide clear advance instruction to the haulier to ensure the driver is clued up and properly equipped for the job in hand? Or would that smack of professionalism…?

Wouldn’t that introduce them to a liability risk? :unamused:
Sad eh? :smiley:

TiredAndEmotional:

My post timed at 14hr 32 gives link to Tata Steel`s document about load restraint.
Copy:
tatasteeleurope.com/static_f … 5.0_en.pdf

TiredAndEmotional:

The customer probably isn’t a company like Tata concerned about having the job done properly. Instead more likely it is some cheapskate outfit who have been quoted to move the load by a company used to carrying this sort of load using the right equipment and employing drivers who are fully conversant with the way to do it. They decided that since they really didn’t care what happens to the load since it would be covered by someone else’s insurance, then they would scrape the barrel for the cheapest quote going, because they certainly were not willing to pay any more than the absolute rock bottom price for haulage.

Erratum: I forgot to say that the use of timber baulks nailed to the floor seems a very good idea too. Shep`s figures on that quite surprised me.

Franglais:

TiredAndEmotional:

My post timed at 14hr 32 gives link to Tata Steel`s document about load restraint.
Copy:

That’s a great document which pointed up two things the OP hasn’t done. I don’t think he’s used slip mats and the coils need to be loaded by turning them through 90 degrees but to be fair I’d have loaded them that way too!

Evil8Beezle:

TiredAndEmotional:

Wouldn’t that introduce them to a liability risk? :unamused:
Sad eh? :smiley:

That works both ways? Failure to give proper instruction or training I’d suggest would be much more likely to land you in the cart when the ■■■■ hits the fan! Have you read the Tata link Franglais put up? That’s a great document for anybody who might do steel coils.

TiredAndEmotional:

Franglais:

TiredAndEmotional:

Copy:

That’s a great document which pointed up two things the OP hasn’t done. I don’t think he’s used slip mats and the coils need to be loaded by turning them through 90 degrees but to be fair I’d have loaded them that way too!

Yep. I noticed the way they were loaded too, but restricted my comments to the way they were in the piccie. The picture seems to show a solid roof trailer, and so the reels could only be loaded by a forklift from the side? No chance to use an overhead crane with strops it seems. To load the other way around on those stillages the fork blades would have to be inside the reels and would damage the steel I`d think. I wonder whether this load is from a steel works direct, or is being stored or transhipped off site?

Tata have a set procedure for securing coils.
Conform…or you don’t get loaded.

TiredAndEmotional:

Good idea but if in the UK the customer would have to get the haulier to sign a disclaimer for fear of being sued if it all went t1its up…

AndrewG:

TiredAndEmotional:

Good idea but if in the UK the customer would have to get the haulier to sign a disclaimer for fear of being sued if it all went t1its up…

Tata have no problem doing it? See my post @ 09.57 above :slight_smile:

TiredAndEmotional:

AndrewG:

Tata have no problem doing it? See my post @ 09.57 above :slight_smile:

Oops, sorry…skipped through the page without reading it properly :blush::wink: