Marti Pellow lockdown sessions you tube

Been watching a lot of you tube when I’ve been off for last 4 :open_mouth: weeks. :unamused:
Mostly Newcastle football related stuff, and different genres of music I like, anything from The Stones, AC DC, through to Bon Jovi, to the other end of the scale George Michael solo stuff,…and me being a bit of an 80s throwback sort of guy :smiley: …some selective 80s music tracks and concerts…but I’ve discovered there was more crap made in the 80s than good stuff. :laughing:

Anyway, I came across some lockdown sessions done by Marti Pellow (ex Wet Wet Wet) while he’s stuck in his million quid Berkshire home :unamused: :smiley: , I think there’s about 5 different sessions with one song each , and a q&a session. (originally done for nhs nurses afaik, who had requested stuff via twitter.)

Anyhow, I used to like the Wets in the early 80s, they made some good pure old style ‘pop’ songs, and what I like about Marti is he ain’t up his own arse like some of them, but he’s down to earth and doesn’t take himself too seriously.

So… if you’re a fan check out the 6 or so vids so far, (I think he’s doing them daily) and if you ain’t,… Well just ■■■■ ignore this post and don’t bother your arse. :bulb: :laughing:

(This is the q&a session, I can’t seem to get a link for the music sessions for some reason :blush: :unamused: …so check them out you tube if you’re interested)

youtu.be/xMRWYpCgf0A

Were you at their concert in Inverness Rob ?

Something odd about that picture, can’t quite put my finger on it :laughing: :wink:

Regards John.

old 67:
Were you at their concert in Inverness Rob ?

Something odd about that picture, can’t quite put my finger on it :laughing: :wink:

Regards John.

:laughing: :laughing:
Nah that aint me mate :smiley: ,…although with my good looks I’m usually surrounded by women :sunglasses: :laughing: …, they don’t call me Mr F.Magnet for nowt :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: and I was told I resembled Mr Pellow when I (and he) was younger around 86 ish. :sunglasses: :smiley:
Ok the girl was on a galloping horse at the time. :smiley:

To answer your question if you actually WERE being serious, no never seen em live. :wink:

No not serious Rob. It’s just that if one of my group of mates down the pub had slipped " by the way I’m a fan of Wet Wet Wet " into the conversation, we would have looked at each other, spat out our beer and seen it as a gift from heaven :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Regards John.

old 67:
No not serious Rob. It’s just that if one of my group of mates down the pub had slipped " by the way I’m a fan of Wet Wet Wet " into the conversation, we would have looked at each other, spat out our beer and seen it as a gift from heaven :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Regards John.

Aye but when you’re as butch and macho as me it overrides any ambiguity. :sunglasses: :smiley:

Serously though…I keep an open mind on any type of music, if I like what I hear I’ll listen to it, I don’t give a toss what anybody might think or say, so I ain’t a musical snob as such.
I could talk all day to you about pop and rock music, I ain’t ALL trucks, cars, beer and football you know. :laughing:
I did a bit of DJing when I was younger, both moblile for weddings etc and a 2 year residency at a holiday camp when I was 18. (my Mrs has taken great pleasure over the years in telling my kids ‘’‘You’re Dad used to be a ‘‘CAMP’’ DJ you know’’ :unamused: :laughing: ) so I’ve bought all different types of music genres on record, depending on the event, and carried on afterwards buying records and CD.s , and now tracks on my phone.

So just keep an open mind mate and listen to different stuff you would not usually listen to, and take no notice of what your group of mates might say…it broadens your horizons. :bulb:

There is lots of good stuff out there amongst the pure crap…as George Michael said when he named his album when he left Wham and went as a serious singer…‘‘Listen without predjudice’’ :bulb: :wink:

Spot on Rob. Music of all kinds has always been a massive part of my life, especially my working life,right from having a transistor radio held in the window of an Albion Chieftain with a bungee cord as a drivers mate back in 1964.
It’s a bit sad but when I hear a record, I can often remember EXACTLY where I was and what I was doing when I first heard it, even decades ago !!
One such occasion was back in 1967. I was sitting in a pub with my arm around a girl and Love is all around by The Troggs was on the juke box.
So when a boy band released it 20 odd years later, and everybody raved about how great it was, including my daughter ( who was about 12 years old ), I, ( quite unreasonably) said it was rubbish.
How dare a " boy band " ruin one of my cherished memories !!! :laughing: :blush: :wink:

Regards John.

old 67:
Spot on Rob. Music of all kinds has always been a massive part of my life, especially my working life,right from having a transistor radio held in the window of an Albion Chieftain with a bungee cord as a drivers mate back in 1964.
It’s a bit sad but when I hear a record, I can often remember EXACTLY where I was and what I was doing when I first heard it, even decades ago !!
One such occasion was back in 1967. I was sitting in a pub with my arm around a girl and Love is all around by The Troggs was on the juke box.
So when a boy band released it 20 odd years later, and everybody raved about how great it was, including my daughter ( who was about 12 years old ), I, ( quite unreasonably) said it was rubbish.
How dare a " boy band " ruin one of my cherished memories !!! :laughing: :blush: :wink:

Regards John.

Yep that’s how it works for me, that’s why I like listening to ‘Golden Hour’ type shows on the radio, it takes you right back to what you were doing that particular year.
I was listening to one from 79 a few weeks ago while driving down the M5, bands like Gary Numan, The Police, Ian Dury, Joe Jackson, Boomtown Rats, Bowie to name a few,.
It was the year that I started driving as a job, then it suddenly struck me what was I doing 40 years ago?..Oh yeh :unamused: , I was Driving down the M5 in a truck listening to this stuff, :neutral_face: then I thought WTF have I done with my life, NOTHING has changed. :laughing: :laughing:

(Btw Wet Wet Wet a ‘boy band’?..Nah. :smiley:)
Also it’s the no1 best selling single of all time afaik, and it was pulled off the market while still no 1, so could have had even more if it had been left alone.

Here ya go Old67, have a listen to this track from ‘The Wets’
Sweet Surrender, a good old fashioned out and out pop tune,… and you talk of music striking up memories?
It reminds me of smooching on a dance floor in a club in Magaluf in 86 with my lovely Mrs, at the last track of the night.
(I used to call the last track of the night I played ‘The Erection Section’ when I did the discos. :laughing:
Wrap yer lugs around this mate. :sunglasses: …and feel free to take the ■■■■ if you wish. :laughing:
youtu.be/PXxvpPVr9BQ

And same track today.
youtu.be/GDUMV8ZNyKE

All the bands you mention in you previous post, plus all those you mention in your post on the " concerts " thread , we are in agreement :sunglasses:
The " Wets" however, especially after watching the two videos you suggested, just no!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Regards John.

P.S. Reading the comments on the videos ( and in particular who the comments were mostly from ) was in my opinion very telling !! :smiley: :wink:

I ain’t getting much ‘Roblove’ for this thread here so far I see :smiley: … you miserable ■■■■ s :laughing: :laughing: …open your minds ffs. :wink: :smiley: I
I ain’t asking you to watch Justin ■■■■ Bieber here, or some other teenage girl’s idol, this guy’s a serious good old fashioned singer. :smiley:

Anybody who might be interested Marti’s latest session on lockdown was to raise funds for some little boy in hospital.
Check it out anyway. :sunglasses:
youtu.be/zwCRkbJ1Dww

Here you go Rob, fill you boots. :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Regards. John.

Can’t quite put my finger on it but there a couple of things I find quite beguiling about this singer.

youtu.be/peCl26FetRU

the maoster:
Can’t quite put my finger on it but there a couple of things I find quite beguiling about this singer.

youtu.be/peCl26FetRU

Wasn’t till the fourth time I watched it I spotted she had a guitar !! :smiley: :wink:

Regards.John.

Don’t know why, but there’s something there urging me to accompany her on the Bongos. :laughing:

are you lads aware of now 70’s ch 82 on the box, all chart stuff but it don’t half revive the memory… :smiley:

m.a.n rules:
are you lads aware of now 70’s ch 82 on the box, all chart stuff but it don’t half revive the memory… :smiley:

Not sure if it is based on the geographic area but up here Now 70’s is on Freeview CH78 and Now 80’s is on Freeview CH83

Tyneside

could well be mate… so your n/e i’m in tamworth, staffs , summat to do with airwaves .?

Just thought I’d revive this thread for a reason .
Btw Can’t believe some of the stick I got for it :open_mouth: :smiley:

Anyhoo.seeing as the masochist in me simply and genuinely lurrrrves getting stick and abuse on here :sunglasses: , I thrive on it :sunglasses: …bring it back on, I’m a big lad and I can take it. :smiley:

Me and the Mrs went to see Marti Pellow in Glasgow last night, he’s doing a tour re.visiting and performing WWW’s first album, ‘Popped in Souled Out’.
(Btw I bet the rest of the other band members are a bit ■■■■■■ over that, they have another lead singer now)

Ok granted …the audience was 70% women most of them wetting themselves in awe and hysteria :unamused: , (not over me this time :smiley: ) but musically it was a good entertaining gig, in his home city.

He did all the old 80s/90s WWW stuff which took me back to good old memories…and the wife loved it,.along with her day’s shopping before it all…while I spent the afternoon in Wetherspoons. :sunglasses: :smiley:

So if you aint a musical snob, :bulb: …have an open musical mind, and just like good old fashioned ‘Pop’, then treat your wives and/or girlfriends (but not at the same time :wink: ) to a good night out on his tour, (bring on the ‘paint dry’ cracks :smiley: ) and do what we did after the gig to just finish off…go to the nearest good Indian restaurant for a Ruby Murray. :smiley:
All in all a good (but very expensive :smiley: ) day. :sunglasses: which I thought I’d share …if anybody actually cares :laughing:

Btw…just to regain a bit of ‘Butch music’ credibility and redress the balance here. :laughing:
Trying to get tickets for ‘The Who’ (but they are a bit rocking horse. :unamused: )
Never seen them live, old style rockers who have still got it,…although literally half of them are now dead. :smiley:

The least said about WWW the better…

But anyhoo… I saw the Who at Glastonbury, what, about 8 years back. Not bad, obviously the band knows how to play a tune, after practicing for that long. Unfortunately Roger, whilst still having the stage presence of old, struggled to reach the higher notes. It didn’t really distract from a great set, and to be fair, Pete threw him an occasional joking “what the f… was that” look, which Roger took in his stride.

It’s worth going, but don’t expect the angry teenagers tearing it up again…