MAN TGX

chaversdad:
My engine went bang in November but i like the truck and it does me for what i need it to do so i went for a complete engine rebuild by MAN which cost me nearly 10k, but i have to say it pulls fantastic now

My Scania ‘technician’ was moaning at me the other day that they rarely to engine or gearbox rebuilds; moaning about the job being boring ‘fitting’ and inspections etc…

I understand his frustration, but for me that’s pure gold.

el_presidente:

chaversdad:
My engine went bang in November but i like the truck and it does me for what i need it to do so i went for a complete engine rebuild by MAN which cost me nearly 10k, but i have to say it pulls fantastic now

My Scania ‘technician’ was moaning at me the other day that they rarely to engine or gearbox rebuilds; moaning about the job being boring ‘fitting’ and inspections etc…

I understand his frustration, but for me that’s pure gold.

Thats becasue the engine hasnt changed much in 2 decades :grimacing:
Be interesting to see what engines the new models have ie will they be overhead cam and all the attached tech?

Where’s Bking? This is right up his Strasse.

el_presidente:
There was an interview in (I think) Commercial Motor a few months back with the new UK big wig at MAN (might have even been the top boss himself)…Basically the thrust was he believed the brand should be pushing its way up the UK market share to something silly like 25% - and he ‘understood’ the brand isn’t seen in the same light as Scania, Volvo etc… but he believed it should be.

Anyhow, basically, they know they’ve challenges ahead, but want to push the brand hard.

It will be interesting to see how this develops over the next few years.

But the way they’ll push the brand is to appeal to the accountants on big fleets, not to the drivers.

Franglais:

Juddian:
They’ve only got to turn the clock back 20 years and MAN’s like they were then and before, pretty well unbreakable, nothing fashionable about them nor much driver appeal like a Swedish motor festooned in accessories, but always well screwed together and could take the hammering, always cost a fortune for bits mind.

Quite so. Two or three decades ago they had a good reputation for reliability, and maybe not as desirable as a Swedish truck, they were still well respected. Didn`t some of them have a walk through cab with an overdrive box on a column change?

True that. ^^^^^^

The old ones were fast, quiet and reliable.

My buddy drove one of those W&D Juddian with the motor slung under the chassis behind the cab and he loved it. All he had was wind noise back when trucks made real noise both inside and out.

As said the cabs were not snazzy but very functional and good to work and live in, a bit like a VW Golf.
The last one in our yard was a TGA, bulletproof for over 10 years and 1.3 million km but unfortunately not crash proof. A great cab too except for that rediculous top side window.

Never drove an auto MAN but ZF auto is well behind the pack in refinement and slowly improving I’m told.

I’m with Hubman on a great second hand purchase provided you avoid the egr, the experiment that simply didn’t work out.

If I were ever to buy my own motor the clever money would go on a used MAN or Renault starting out.