man tgx

kr79:

Big Truck:
Don’t forget about the Iveco Stralis,
alot of bang for your buck there!!!
Similarly “unloved” like the Premiums but prob a tad better for nights out and good engines too.[emoji6]

Get a quote from an Iveco dealer for that lease deal on a new Highway460 @£299wk but will be more for the PTO.
Check the figures against something@ £12/15k and remember “peace of mind” for a new start with the Iveco ref R&M 2yrs then full driveline cover for 3rd!!![emoji41]

How much deposit on that deal
Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Was told no deposit just straight monthly payment from the off!!!

That’d good was talking to a mate yesterday he has just ordered an fh520 on contract hire got a big spec and tipping gear 455 a week.

kr79:
That’d good was talking to a mate yesterday he has just ordered an fh520 on contract hire got a big spec and tipping gear 455 a week.

Needs to order stronger tablets From his Doctor!!![emoji52]

Big Truck:

kr79:

Or it sounds to me he`s on the glue !!! .

We bought a 2010 (60) MAN TGX 440 last November. 490k on the clock but a new engine had been fitted in December 2013 and has only covered 150k since being fitted, by MAN. In my opinion its a good truck if you look after it. A lot of the “stories” are just that, but from speaking with people who know the truck, a lot of the problems are with having drivers who just see it as a motor they drive and not something they really have to look after.

My advise is that its a very cost effective truck. Not overpriced like an equivalent aged Scania or Volvo and we’re getting 11-12 mpg without any issues, mind you, we’re carrying boats and although we never carry anything much over 18t, a boat on a trailer isnt aerodynamic, so I’m chuffed with the fuel return. We run a 6 wheeler XXL cab and after a deep clean it was apparent that it had been looked after cause all the bits are in tact etc. Great motor to stay out in and comfortable to drive.

If you do get one, make sure you keep the radiator fins clean. Don’t pressure wash them but make sure you get all the crap and dust out from the front and between the two radiators cause apparently thats where the problems with intercoolers/egr/water loss/engine fail etc etc, all start. Key advise from a MAN fitter.

I know its not got a Scania or Volvo badge and there aint the places to put loads of running lights all over it, but for an O/D its a cracking way to get started and if its been looked after and you’re going to look after it, it’ll be a good motor. Just my opinion from driving one (and having to pay for it)

paulypaul:
We bought a 2010 (60) MAN TGX 440 last November. 490k on the clock but a new engine had been fitted in December 2013 and has only covered 150k since being fitted, by MAN. In my opinion its a good truck if you look after it. A lot of the “stories” are just that, but from speaking with people who know the truck, a lot of the problems are with having drivers who just see it as a motor they drive and not something they really have to look after.

My advise is that its a very cost effective truck. Not overpriced like an equivalent aged Scania or Volvo and we’re getting 11-12 mpg without any issues, mind you, we’re carrying boats and although we never carry anything much over 18t, a boat on a trailer isnt aerodynamic, so I’m chuffed with the fuel return. We run a 6 wheeler XXL cab and after a deep clean it was apparent that it had been looked after cause all the bits are in tact etc. Great motor to stay out in and comfortable to drive.

If you do get one, make sure you keep the radiator fins clean. Don’t pressure wash them but make sure you get all the crap and dust out from the front and between the two radiators cause apparently thats where the problems with intercoolers/egr/water loss/engine fail etc etc, all start. Key advise from a MAN fitter.

I know its not got a Scania or Volvo badge and there aint the places to put loads of running lights all over it, but for an O/D its a cracking way to get started and if its been looked after and you’re going to look after it, it’ll be a good motor. Just my opinion from driving one (and having to pay for it)

A good honest sensible reply for once , also good advice all round , well done paulypaul .

shugg:

Big Truck:

kr79:

Or it sounds to me he`s on the glue !!! .

It’s the second one he has put on the road and also has a top spec Renault which is a bit cheaper and seems to be doing ok.
I know the work he has pays half decent rates I guess it’s different strokes for different folks.
Still that iveCo deal looks a cost effective deal to have a new truck

kitcat:
Anyone running a tgx 440, are they reliable, looking at a 2011 at the moment but trying to convince myself.

keep well clear of 440 egr terrible engine design the UK was the guinea pig for this engine system that backfired badly on MAN !!!

440 egr engine is Demic the ad blue engines much better no dealer back up for repairs to egr engines despite what they would have you believe I bought a new one I. 2010 for £85 k and scrapped it for tenk I. 2015 with ■■■■■■ engine at 440,000 km

In these times of highway robbery for purchasing parts I can only see 2 options for the owner operator which are keep a dinosaur going like an fh or Erf Daf or Alpha for as long as pos especially if you don’t go in to London or leese new or buy but don’t keep it longer than you dare .

I think your spot on there Dan I run dinosaurs I really don’t no how people can run newer trucks with these prices for parts for me been honest the monies not in the job to do it.I really do not no what to do next .i no I should sell older stuff and move forward but it a step that worry’s me.get it wrong and your going to pay big time.

I’ve been offered a 2011 tgx 440 with egr with less than 400 k km on it ,nearly a full ticket and the egr replaced as a precaution not because it had to be done and 12 month warranty on the work its pretty clean and straight truck ,it would be a big step up ,my newest been 57 reg tga .should I walk away .

My opinion for what it’s worth is that if the money is right and the truck looks like it’s been looked after both mechanically and from a drivers perapective, it’s got to be worth a look for sure. That’s just my opinion and I’m not biased towards any marque of motor.
When I was looking I initially looked only at Scania and Volvo but for the budget it was 07-08 plate motors with 600-800k on the clock. I asked myself whether I was drawn to that brand because it’s what I had always driven in the old days when I was an employed driver? I had to rethink and be sensible cause I was paying for it this time. I chose a 60plate 440 XXL TGX with good history. I’m pleased I did cause I got a lot of motor for the money.
Interestingly, a mate of mine was looking for a truck at the same time and just wouldn’t entertain anything but Scania and Volvo. He ended up buying a 2010 Scania 440 with 680k on the clock for a lot more money than I paid for my MAN…he’s ended up spending another 10k on it so far which jut shows that the badge really isn’t inductive of a good motor. I think luck plays a big part of it but also I think you need to let your gut feeling help. After all, an employed driver behind the wheel of a 2-3 year old Scania can knock all the motors they want, but if they had a budget to go out and buy one I wonder what they would choose.
Good luck with your search. This is just my humble opinion

paulypaul:
My opinion for what it’s worth is that if the money is right and the truck looks like it’s been looked after both mechanically and from a drivers perapective, it’s got to be worth a look for sure. That’s just my opinion and I’m not biased towards any marque of motor.
When I was looking I initially looked only at Scania and Volvo but for the budget it was 07-08 plate motors with 600-800k on the clock. I asked myself whether I was drawn to that brand because it’s what I had always driven in the old days when I was an employed driver? I had to rethink and be sensible cause I was paying for it this time. I chose a 60plate 440 XXL TGX with good history. I’m pleased I did cause I got a lot of motor for the money.
Interestingly, a mate of mine was looking for a truck at the same time and just wouldn’t entertain anything but Scania and Volvo. He ended up buying a 2010 Scania 440 with 680k on the clock for a lot more money than I paid for my MAN…he’s ended up spending another 10k on it so far which jut shows that the badge really isn’t inductive of a good motor. I think luck plays a big part of it but also I think you need to let your gut feeling help. After all, an employed driver behind the wheel of a 2-3 year old Scania can knock all the motors they want, but if they had a budget to go out and buy one I wonder what they would choose.
Good luck with your search. This is just my humble opinion

Good advice paulypaul , the real problem is that Scanias/ Volvos are as troublesome as most other makes but!!! the badge snobs just look the other way and hope no-one finds out about their problems , I am fully behind you regarding your very good purchase .

I agree with Paulypaul too, buying one that looks like its seen some TLC, then giving it more of the same, and the chances are it won’t do you too bad.
If there’s a row of defleets, no matter how much cleaning and fettling they do to them, the ones that have been looked after stick out like a sore thumb.

Its been interesting to compare my MAN with my mate’s Scanny, we got them within weeks of each other, same work same weights similar mileage covered.
Mine has been less trouble than the Swede overall.
Not saying this is par for the course, but he’s a sensible driver who looks after it well…with the same proviso as me that all sorts use it when we’re off shift.

What is the difference between the euro 4 engine and the euro 5

commercialmotor.com/news/man … 26-engines

Good job mine was one of the 300…New engine fitted Dec 13 now covered 164k. Keep the rads clean and things should be OK I’ve been told.

Is the euro 5 an entirely new engine or have they just modified the euro 4 engine for emissions sake

The euro 5 EGR engine is twin turbo with a chargecooler for each turbo rather than a conventional intercooler but the block etc is similar if not identical to euro 4.The euro 5 scr engine is single turbo and far simpler.