Lorries with 9-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

Fuller 9 E14.jpeg
5315270008_a674bbe18f.jpg

I’m fairly sure this had one in!

No 9-speed Fuller thread would be complete without an example of the ERF NGC ‘European’ and this example had a 9-speed 'box. Robert :smiley:

7MW close up 36.jpg

EC ■■■■■■■ L10.325 Fuller 9.jpg

I had a B reg Leyland Constructor 2421 with a TLII and that had a Fuller 9speed box i think it was an RTX box not an RTO.The Leyland was a long wheelbase flat

As any proper driver of a 9 speed Fuller will tell you, they were all 10 speeds. 1st , 2nd , 3rd split range change into high and put gear stick into crawler, then split back into low and into 4th. This gives you a 10 speed box. I hope I haven’t upset anybody thinking they have been driving all those years and did not know the ins and outs of a 9 speed Fuller. If anybody out there has one in an old truck try it for yourself. When I was young and driving a Sed Atk 400 with a 180 Gardner and a Fuller box you needed all the gears you could find to row it along.

ianto:
I had a B reg Leyland Constructor 2421 with a TLII and that had a Fuller 9speed box i think it was an RTX box not an RTO.The Leyland was a long wheelbase flat

Forgot about the Constructor, I had one similar spec on the same job as that one except the one I had was a lwb tipper. forgot about the Marathon and Crusader I had which also had the 9 speed. Best gearbox ever in my opinion.

been out for a drive in this today L10 325 9 speed

Lance Biscomb:
As any proper driver of a 9 speed Fuller will tell you, they were all 10 speeds. 1st , 2nd , 3rd split range change into high and put gear stick into crawler, then split back into low and into 4th. This gives you a 10 speed box. I hope I haven’t upset anybody thinking they have been driving all those years and did not know the ins and outs of a 9 speed Fuller. If anybody out there has one in an old truck try it for yourself. When I was young and driving a Sed Atk 400 with a 180 Gardner and a Fuller box you needed all the gears you could find to row it along.

Yes Lance, I drove all mine like that (Sed Ak 400 and three different Foden’s) though it was especially useful on hill’s in the 400 with Gardner 201 power! :slight_smile: My 3000 series Foden had the 13 speeder/Rolls-Perkins 335 combination and that was a different motor altogether. :sunglasses:

Pete.

Lance Biscomb:

aye the mystery gear!..its surprising the number o folk who dont know about it.
:blush: :smiley: less o the old truck.its still modern technology in North America. :wink:

Hey Robert1952, Fuller a pitty forgotten legend :angry: I have never known that you had to use the clutch for a 13 speed fuller,but maybe some were built so!!!
For me the best is the 13 speed because of the better spread.
But I agree that an engine with a 9 or 8 speeds can be faster. The reason, the 9 speeder has to work Always and you learn it to work. sample, you go to about 2000revs and up again from 1500, But if you have a 13/16 speeder and you do the same if you drive alone as a 9 speeds than it will perform as the 9 speeder and better with the 13/16 speeds then.
I only drove a few times a Volvo F12 with the 9 box, but as said colleagues the 360 with 12+2 is slower because of driving Always at a very small rev band.
MAN used the 9 Fuller to but some were changed to 13’s it was a easy work to do.
Here we had never a 9 speed Fuller at DAF, The Germans were frequent users of the 9 speed.
But what i don’t understand is that most had 9 speed at yours,here it was most the 13 speed.

Cheers Eric,

This Leyland Roadtrain of ours had the 9 speed Fuller box matched to the RR 300 T, A good performer , Regards Larry.

Lance Biscomb:

As I knew it and used it the low/crawler gear was only linked in with and used in the low range gear train not the high range.Which seems to be confirmed here. :confused:

youtube.com/watch?v=5XxuM75auNY

looks like the man in the youtube clip can’t drive a Fuller either

Lance Biscomb:

Neither can “CF” and he was the geezer doing the commentary :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Lance Biscomb:

What would he know being that it was just an instruction film for drivers made by the factory that made the box :open_mouth: :laughing: .

Bewick:

Lance Biscomb:

Neither can “CF” and he was the geezer doing the commentary :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

By the way Bewick what was the actual ratio provided by high range crawler v 3 rd in a 9 speed box. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

i agree with lance , i drove a foden arctic with the 9 speed for years and used high crawler regularly . it was easier to keep the momentum on some hills rather than dropping the range , quicker on the up change as well .

Not a clue but it’s definitely a gear and was handy at times.as.it.saved dropping back in to low range

k 79 and rigsby seem to be proper Fuller drivers :smiley: