Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

robthedog:
Yep remember that well just near kiplings old factory
A young Terry Crocker there he stayed with Meachers until he retired you couldn’t meet a nicer bloke

Only just seen this. I remember Terry, I was the planner/warehouseman at Meachers’ Derby depot for a couple of years and had many dealings with him.

As you say, a lovely man.

Meachers Southampton 1978.

soton m  78 psoton.PNG

Gordon Warren who used to have Warrens Transport in Southampton and saw the light sold up and became a salesman. Here’s a photo of him with one of the Turboliner’s.
Good morning Richard, You have my old brain cells working early this morning, Did Gordon operate from a small workshop in Empress road Southampton ■■? Harvey
[/quote]
IIRC He had the Totton By Pass filling station (BP ?) by the jnct with High St. He also was based in Empress Rd on the bend just before it becomes Imperial Rd (opp National Tyres) AM Garage & Sea Route also used this site at various times. He had some Maroon Leyland Beavers (2 pedal ?) when doing Hythe-Membury. I don’t think they were signwritten[/quote

Thanks “roolchat” I remember the huge blue Gantry he had for body swopping. Now !!! Sea route ferrys, that’s another storey, Mr Aundry Kalfon, if that spelling is right, interesting chap.
Just up the road from Gordon was the dairy, taken over by Pensworth dairies who started life in a farm not far from my home in Downton, very small world mate. Harvey

1965 First load of South African wine arrives.

soton wine 65 psoton.PNG.jpg

One of Sibley’s or Material Movements, Buzzer

DEANB:

Good morning Dean,
SAWF were sited on the A36 just out of Totton on the Salisbury road, ( think Macintyre Scott & Co ltd ) are there now.
Mr Shepherd ran the place like a swiss watch and what he did not know about wine, sherry and port was not worth knowing, a really nice man.
First thing in the morning in his Oak paneled office he would take his jacket off, brush it off and swop it from the tall cupboard with a light coloured dust jacket and a pair of sprung sleeve bands and start work.
Only other chap I saw do that was John Prince. Can you imagine that to day, ha !! Harvey

HRS:

DEANB:

Good morning Dean,
SAWF were sited on the A36 just out of Totton on the Salisbury road, ( think Macintyre Scott & Co ltd ) are there now.
Mr Shepherd ran the place like a swiss watch and what he did not know about wine, sherry and port was not worth knowing, a really nice man.
First thing in the morning in his Oak paneled office he would take his jacket off, brush it off and swop it from the tall cupboard with a light coloured dust jacket and a pair of sprung sleeve bands and start work.
Only other chap I saw do that was John Prince. Can you imagine that to day, ha !! Harvey

Harvey was that Williams & Humbert in the place you mentioned, if it was Miss Humbert also had a farm at Lockerly breeding Pedigree Angus cattle IIRC, Buzzer.

Andover
Foden Tractor D class no. 14078
“Mighty Atom” Nominal hp 4
built 1932

Open Air Workshop, nice soft floor & it didn’t matter if you split any oil or fuel, a bastxxd when you drop a nut on the grass,
did do a bad job of the sheeting thou

Jeremy

Something a bit different that may be of intrest to you chap’s from 1966.

Click on pages twice to read.

Not heard from Charlie one for a while?

Baldrick1953:

Come to that you aint that prolific Balders trust you & yours are safe and well and before you ask me and the Boss are fine, JD

HRS:

DEANB:

Good morning Dean,

Sorry missed your reply Harvey ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Its funny the things you remember about people,hope you are keeping safe chap ! :wink:

Thoresen 1965.

Just read that article Dean and the bit that made me chuckles was and i quote " there are 22 couchette compartments which some suffer from a fair share of vibration from engines and propellers " this is what us drivers called being down in the dungeons but when it was a rough sea it was the best place to be and i swear some i have been in the prop shaft ran under the carpet it was that loud, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Baldrick1953:

Come to that you aint that prolific Balders trust you & yours are safe and well and before you ask me and the Boss are fine, JD

I wasn’t going to ask JD… the Boss keeps me up to date on PM…
Who’s this and where?

It’s not Australia…

If you had just shrunk it a little it will be ok, who you going to hang ? Buzzer

It was near Almeria I think…
Not been posting much as I keep getting error messages… have spoken to the Admin people but it’s still happening…

CFAT