Load security next week

Darkside:

ETS:

Rowley010:

Darkside:
Just make sure you secure everything that needs to be secured next week…

content.govdelivery.com/account … ns/252526a

I imagine there is going to be a lot of drivers next week with curtain siders that are going to be told their load is insecure.

Some genuinely will have just made zero effort, shut the curtains and the “loads secure”.

But a lot will have done genuinely all they can or all that’s possible to do with the tools they have and will get told their load is not adequately secured.

A load has to be secured to prevent movement during transport, right? If they stop you and your load hasn’t been “secured” but hasn’t moved at all, is it still insecure?

If anyone is wondering why they are carrying out these checks, just read that sentence to yourself…

They walk amongst us… :unamused:

Quite right.
Petrol is only inflammable if you put a match to it, so tankers don’t need warnings or extinguishers until they catch fire. Logic innit.

Darkside:

Theres no excuse not to secure everything properly,bone idle drivers that’s what it comes down to.

Rowley010:

rob22888:
Forget the checkpoints, they should be positioning themselves outside the various well known distribution sites.

Do that and any (most) that don’t comply either turn around back into the site or clog the road up outside with immobilised wagons. The site should then be asked to explain why they are allowing so many ‘dangerous’ loads out on the road & made to take some responsibility, maybe then we will get a bit of help!

This is what they should do for sure then also make that company partly accountable.

Imagine if they stopped every stobart truck coming out of britvic (if they still do it?). They probably be able to fine every single one for an insecure load because even if it was strapped it would be on internals not ratchets.

Same with every truck coming out of refresco (once cotts) at kegworth or nelson. They could fine every single driver leaving those places as I’ve never seen a driver ratchet strap a load at either one (myself included) yet each pallet is certainly over 400kgs.

Please, oh wise one, explain to me how I secure 26 pallets of bottled or canned liquids, as presented at Britic, Refresco, Coca-Cola, any brewery, ,Accolade Wines, Highland Spring water or PepsiCo.
I am one of those ‘lazy’ drivers who just uses the internals (as instructed by my company). I don’t want to fall foul of the DVSA next week, so please, please, explain how I can secure these loads.

bobbya:

Darkside:

Theres no excuse not to secure everything properly,bone idle drivers that’s what it comes down to.

Only partly true. Sure, I’ve seen plenty of drivers pulling the curtains/shutting the doors and driving off without any effort, but most drivers, like me, try, but have to work with what we’re given. I know just like the next guy, that internals are not securing a pallet of canned or bottled drink. But it’s all we are provided with. Until the authorities make a suspended sheet based restrained system mandatory, very few companies will invest in those. .
And for those who blather on about “ratched strapping”, they have no clue about pallets stacked with shrink wrapped bottles or boxes of product.

the nodding donkey:

Rowley010:

rob22888:
Forget the checkpoints, they should be positioning themselves outside the various well known distribution sites.

Do that and any (most) that don’t comply either turn around back into the site or clog the road up outside with immobilised wagons. The site should then be asked to explain why they are allowing so many ‘dangerous’ loads out on the road & made to take some responsibility, maybe then we will get a bit of help!

This is what they should do for sure then also make that company partly accountable.

Imagine if they stopped every stobart truck coming out of britvic (if they still do it?). They probably be able to fine every single one for an insecure load because even if it was strapped it would be on internals not ratchets.

Same with every truck coming out of refresco (once cotts) at kegworth or nelson. They could fine every single driver leaving those places as I’ve never seen a driver ratchet strap a load at either one (myself included) yet each pallet is certainly over 400kgs.

Please, oh wise one, explain to me how I secure 26 pallets of bottled or canned liquids, as presented at Britic, Refresco, Coca-Cola, any brewery, ,Accolade Wines, Highland Spring water or PepsiCo.
I am one of those ‘lazy’ drivers who just uses the internals (as instructed by my company). I don’t want to fall foul of the DVSA next week, so please, please, explain how I can secure these loads.

As drivers we can’t because the pallet isnt wrapped adequately to do so. Needs boards on top or something similar. Do you think that will stop DVSA? The rules are over 400kg then it needs ratchets. If that can’t be done for the reasons you say then that supplier needs to also hold some accountability and answer to dvsa why they aren’t sending their product in such a way that drivers can be compliant. In theory as it stands dvsa could fine every single driver leaving these places without ratchets on as they are the rules.

Your company might tell you to just use internals but that doesn’t make it compliant as far as dvsa will see it.

As I said, I also use internals on these loads. I’m just saying strictly speaking it’s breaking the rules and they could fine every single one of us for it.

Not trying to be a smart arse or the wise one as you put it. Just saying as it is, that’s what the rules say, and what the dvsa look at? Yes the rules.

They won’t pull any of the big boys coz they ain’t got the cash to go toe to toe in court.
Tried it with stobbies,already.
Willy just stuck a load of xl rated stickers on his trailers…and told em to do one.
It’s the little man,they’ll go for.

If it was like Germany where a consignor is liable for load security too and not just a driver…

toonsy:
If it was like Germany where a consignor is liable for load security too and not just a driver…

Whereas at some places now it’s like what are you doing driver? I’m strapping the load… shocked look…no other drivers bother and we need you to move out the way :unamused:

Rowley010:

toonsy:

Whereas at some places now it’s like what are you doing driver? I’m strapping the load… shocked look…no other drivers bother and we need you to move out the way :unamused:

Not to mention the ones who’ve reportedly told drivers that you can’t do that onsite for “health and safety” reasons!

(I’ve never had this happen to me though that’s why I said reportedly)

I’ve got a load on at the min from a place which will not allow me on the back but the top pack at the back of the trailer is 3 small packs on timbers which unless choked will move about and possibly come off so I do it out the gate but I wonder what response I’ll get from the Customer when I refuse to get on the back at the delivery point to put the lifting slings on ?

It just proves that health and safety in its current state is more about form filling and box ticking than it is about actual human safety and welfare.

“Can’t do that in 'ere drive, against elf n safety innit” but it’s ok to fall and break your neck outside on the road… :unamused:

edd1974:
Thing that get me

There advertising load security crackdown.
Also a post on here about Cheshire police using a white actros.

Why do.they advertise say what there doing.
It alerts people and thus any decent compnays/drivers make sure there safe and legal.

They should just stop people not advertise there doing it. Catch drivers unaware

Drivers are unaware, just look how many get caught using a phone, eating, drinking by a plain white unit without a trailer! Most of them do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowley010:

toonsy:

Or out on the road, they don’t take consignor liability seriously.

Reef:
It just proves that health and safety in its current state is more about form filling and box ticking than it is about actual human safety and welfare.

“Can’t do that in 'ere drive, against elf n safety innit” but it’s ok to fall and break your neck outside on the road… :unamused:

BIP Oldbury
Several years ago when tanker handrails were neither compulsory or often seen. I arrived with a load of Maleic Anhydride. The operator asked if I had brought a sample. I said nobody asked for one, I asked for a bottle and string and he got me one. I was just climbing up the ladder with the bottle and Colonel Pointy Shoes arrived with his Marks and Spencer chemical suit and asked what the hell I was doing.

I said your operator needs a reference sample, I’m getting him one and then I shall empty the tank up that pipe.

No, No, No! You will have to leave site due to elves and sanity. I had to pull outside into the street. I remember waving to a lady in her her upstairs window and her telling me how my open tanker stunk. I drove back inside the factory, the operator gave me the OK and I discharged the tanker. I still had to climb the ladder to attach the pipe as Maleic was always Top Discharge.

No sight of the pointy shoe Colonel but a colon is always full of crap!

Reef:

This is what grips me about it all, keeps some helmet in a job making up rules that prevent work being done but when a genuine concern is raised its ignored.

Your example there used to happen to me regularly at a site loading recycled wood, you would have to walk across to even out the load to enable the sheet to come over, the place had a gantry but no, not allowed to use it.

“F[zb]k you then I’ll go outside.”

“Can’t go outside without the roof closed.”

“Well it’s one or the other or the lot comes off, make your mind up sharpish.”

This was the exchange every time with the jumped up little gimp on the shovel until someone opened the curtains and let the lot back out :laughing: in the end up we had to go outside and do it on the road, because a gantry designed for safety wasn’t safe enough. In perfect working order but some clown decided it wasn’t good enough.

Madness.

Darkside:

You have never heard of scare mongering before what a load of crap
That’s how it works on people like yourself

Reef:
That bulletin screams pallet network double deckers to me…

Yep although going by many I see, they really could paralyse the pallet networks quite easily and very quickly.

They could park outside certain ones like a hub near Hinkley which deals only in ADR loads. 1 ton IBC on a single internal is seriously common, although someone needs to work out a better way to secure drums.

Got this announcement plastered across our depot but they’ll still accept pallets which are stupidly badly wrapped as they are scared of telling the customer to [fb] sort it out.

Do fridge drivers have these problems or do VOSA leave their cargo alone?

Wheel Nut:

edd1974:
Thing that get me

There advertising load security crackdown.
Also a post on here about Cheshire police using a white actros.

Why do.they advertise say what there doing.
It alerts people and thus any decent compnays/drivers make sure there safe and legal.

They should just stop people not advertise there doing it. Catch drivers unaware

Drivers are unaware, just look how many get caught using a phone, eating, drinking by a plain white unit without a trailer! Most of them do!

You sound as if ‘‘They’’ have got to you, and you believe all the ■■■■■■■■.
Use of phone?
I’ll give you that, potentially dangerous if done by those who can not multi task, howevet in the old days the figure of phone related accidents were substantial, but not epidemic as they want you to believe…, but yep, I agree not sensible so a ban is a wise move.

Eating and drinking?
Some of the self righteous will have a stroke here, but I personally can see no problem :open_mouth: …shock horror. :open_mouth:

I aint some ham fisted buffoon, so I can drink a coffee with my eyes fully on the road and concentrate.
Same as eating…I aint talking about having your breakfast, a roast meal, or a chilli con ■■■■ carne here btw, I’m on about a Mars bar, a sarnie or a banana.

Tbh I drive one handed most of time anyway :open_mouth:
Second stroke just kicked off, with a mad rush to the keyboard calling me a carnage causer. :laughing:

So same old same old, any excuse to nick you and extract a few quid.

robroy:
I aint some ham fisted buffoon, so I can drink a coffee with my eyes fully on the road and concentrate.

Hardest part is pouring the coffee from the flask into the cup

ETS:

robroy:

Hardest part is pouring the coffee from the flask into the cup

Flask!!!

[zb]ing amateurs!

Gas stove, boil a kettle, add teabag sugar boiling water and milk, stir till tar like consistency and colour and finish up by launching squeezed teabag at the fanny in a scanny overtaking you, bonus points if his passenger window is open.