JWQ Transport

neversweat1:
Found this photo of you before it was loaded :smiley:

spent to long in a workshop Steve you have lost your sense of humour , would not be allowed to wear that these days not hi viz

Hello there to you all. I wanted to tell you, for those that remember/knew him my dad, Pete Lewis passed away Wednesday 27th of February. I think itā€™s fair to say most people who met have fond memories of him. Thanks Dad for letting me come with you on the school holls. God Bless now boys and girls, take care-Terry.

I am so sorry for your loss Terry I have some good memories of your dad a good bloke

BigGee76:

GAZ70:

Mark R:
Heres an old JWQ photo, sorry its not very good quality but better than nothing, does anyone know anything about this old Merc or where the photo was taken?.

can any one tell me if these mercā€™s had a proper sleeper,they always looked way too narrow for a bunk :question:

Hi, I know this is a fairly old thread now. This picture could well be my Dads truck parked in cavendish Square, Swindon. His name was Pete Phillips aka laugh and a joke. He was at JWQ in the early seventies then rejoined again in the late eighties before they folded working from the Swindon depot.

He parked there quite often as he lived just along from cavendish square. Quite a few drivers of that time went to my mum and dads wedding. Itā€™d be interesting to hear from any of you who remember him. Unfortunately cancer took him from us in 2002. I remember some of the guys when he came back in the 80ā€™s. Geoff gale. The fitter Bomber (Keith) RIP.
Iā€™ve got my mum on a bit of a mission To dig out some old pics. Iā€™ll post them up in due course.

im 99% sure the merc is paked in bridport road swindon funny as my dad .stan; also worked for jwq and if im right its parked out side my old house //strange///

daf3300:
I am so sorry for your loss Terry I have some good memories of your dad a good bloke

Thanks Paul, never easy is it losing a Dad? Like dear Bert weā€™re both lorry drivers thanks to our Dads, which begs the question-why couldnā€™t they have been bloody accountants or bank managers!?

Bumped up for Suedehead :wink:

Ro

I remember they had white mercs 1418 and1924 models they had a depot in sheerness.One of their mercs was on the m2 going to sheerness with a load of steel coils back in the 70,s the driver had to brake hard to miss a car and the coils broke loose came through the cab and killed an hitch hiker he had given a lift to.I was on my to sheerness when it happened.

I hope this brings back some memories for your dad.

was it JWQ that bought out reading based M&T haulage back in the 80s ? or it may have been the transport company around the corner from me when i worked for spider transport in sloughā€¦cant remember there name now but they were on the corner of deal ave on the trading estateā€¦

Big Gaz:
was it JWQ that bought out reading based M&T haulage back in the 80s ? or it may have been the transport company around the corner from me when i worked for spider transport in sloughā€¦cant remember there name now but they were on the corner of deal ave on the trading estateā€¦

Hmmm, itā€™s a while since M & T packed up isnā€™'t it? But I think that they just wrapped up, rather than being bought out. If I remember correctly, they were at Station Road, Theale. Still remember their phone number: 0734 303030!

OK, Iā€™ll get my anorak on the way outā€¦

240 Gardner:
Hmmm, itā€™s a while since M & T packed up isnā€™'t it? But I think that they just wrapped up, rather than being bought out. If I remember correctly, they were at Station Road, Theale. Still remember their phone number: 0734 303030!

OK, Iā€™ll get my anorak on the way outā€¦

was a while agoā€¦heres a pic i took in the late 80s at truckfest with the h e samson signwritingā€¦when they finished a couple of the drivers went on there own still working out of samsonsā€¦

My dad worked for JWQ as a subbie in the 80s out of their Sheerness depot, it was in Rushenden Road Queenborough, and they ran a fleet of Mercs and Dafs, most of the work was out of Sheerness steel mill, ive got some photos somewhere, ill dig them out. Ive also got a photo of a brand new Berliet they had.I seem to remember before the Mercs they ran Scammell Crusaders and AEC Mandators.Am i right thinking JWQ stood for Jackson Watson & Quinn.

that picture brought back some memories the first daf they had it was based at sheerness depot ,i worked from reading depot, and the berliets were based in reading and swindon

They also had a few Fiats based in Swindon.
I remember them well because i was a tyre fitter in those days and they had those bloody Trilex wheels !! :imp:

daf3300:
that picture brought back some memories the first daf they had it was based at sheerness depot ,i worked from reading depot, and the berliets were based in reading and swindon

We used to look after some of the JWQ fleet at Reading.Some of the drivers were Matt (always had a DAF) Derek Caddy, Shaw Ballard ,Paul (oddball)Watson,
Martin Willis, Bill Mckinnon, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– , Ken ā– ā–  Two of the Berliets were NLB 4V & NLB 5V. We thought the NLB stood for Never Leaves Berkshire as they were always breaking down.They also had some of the very first Renault R310ā€™s sold in this country. Originally i think there was on on site Berliet dealer - Harcourt Trucks :question:

Steve

I used to work with an ex JWQ (Reading) fitter and he always insisted that they used to empty the engine oil into the kerbside drains! Never really believed him, though there are a few black swans on the River Kennet!

Pete.

Did they ever go over the water because ime sure they used to have a few tilt trailers in the 70s . . . sure i saw a Crusader pulling one but out of Swindon in the early 80s all thier trailers were flats ? Also, when did they go out of business?

neversweet1 is that a hammer monkey from worton grange, and matt had to be crow barred out of his old scammel they gave him NLB 4V what a piece of rubbish then he had the first 3300 rcf 804y if you are who think you are we have had a few in the chequers and engineers ,yes they did go over the water mainly with flats
paul

They went out of business about 1991 i think my dad was laid of from swindon , he also worked for the avonmouth and tipton depots, he says they were a great firm to work for he did a lot of flat work on multi drop delivering linton and hirst products , used to go with him a lot but used to have to hide when in yards as wasnt meant to be with him no passenger policy, I started this topic changed user name thanks for replys lads

This has got the old head going now, remember the trucks well where were they based in Swindon ? Was it Stratton St Margarets ( spellings got a be wrong ) or up the Oxford road near to Bamptons Bodyworks, But that could have been Curtis or Howard Tennants, not sure thatā€™s the right name :blush: I only worked for one Swindon firm years ago. and that was Coopers in Gypsy lane, they then ran Leyland 6 leggers couple of Guy Big Jā€™s 6 leggers and an 8 legger AEC. A good firm to work for in those days, paid good money.