Jobsworth Drivers

albion1971:
I can get a better discussion from my 14 year old grandson!

Probably because you’ve both got the same mental age, wait till he grows up and leaves you behind.

The reason I started carrying bulbs is because a tail light bulb blew during a shift which started in daylight. I got pulled into Preston checkpoint and explained that I knew it had gone but couldn’t fix it until I reached the depot. I was threatened with a £60 fine and PG9 there and then. I nicked a bulb from somewhere else on the truck and got away with it but I refuse to be n that position again because of company policy. In the yard, fair enough. Its their schedule but on the road I am on my own and carry the can. I will fix it if I am comfortable with the repair, even if it is just to secure or remove something to get the truck back to depot. A couple of months ago I picked up a trailer with a footplate hanging off. I gave it a little persuasion and chucked it in the back. As it turns out, the leg needed replacement and even the mechanic in the depot needed authorisation to order one. Had I not bothered, the first fitter would have come and gone leaving me waiting for the next ferry to get a different trailer. No thanks!

del trotter:

albion1971:
I can get a better discussion from my 14 year old grandson!

Probably because you’ve both got the same mental age, wait till he grows up and leaves you behind.

Another one who completely misunderstands my meaning.Strange how it is always the same bunch that cannot communicate.
My grandson would leave some on here behind.He can read and write and comprehend what he reads and he can also have an adult discussion something a few on here are not capable of.
Sorry to ■■■■ in Scanny as I can see you are more than capable of putting your point across.
I am out of here now because I have far better things to do.See yah… :smiley:

Time was when EVERY truck needed a box of bulbs in the cab to keep the lights lit, the early 24 volt bulbs were very fragile and trucks vibrated on tickover so much that even the mirrors were rattling around on their flimsy mountings. I suppose then that lamp lenses were easy to remove as well, you just peeled them from their rubber seal, and bulbs took very little time to replace compared to nowadays where you probably need a full toolkit to change one! :unamused: Only snag was that you could find another firms driver could have ‘borrowed’ your bulbs from the lamps overnight. :imp:

Regarding jobsworth drivers, again we used to look after each other and help each other out when we had problems and would stop and help other lads who were broken down etc. I didn’t come across any who would blab to the gaffer about someone else though, we just got on with the job. Smaller companies expected the driver to help out with any repairs, spring changes, brake relines and of course weekly greasing of the truck etc, and not always with extra money as it was regarded as being part of the job. Nowadays of course maintenance is needed less and usually left to outside firms, a driver just drives which I guess cannot be a bad thing really.

We did have some cracking fun though and I wouldn’t have changed a thing! :smiley:

Pete.

albion1971:
My grandson would leave some on here behind.He can read and write and comprehend what he reads

Wow a success of the British educational system…hardly makes him a genius, especially if he takes after his grandfather.

albion1971:
See yah… :smiley:

Let’s hope not… :smiley: