Job outlook for new drivers

Btw Pete, how are you doing business wise in the current climate? What does your ‘order book’ look like? Are you even able to operate with the social distancing issues?

The doors closed on March 23rd and we’ve done no training since. At that point, we had 6 weeks work for all trainers which is healthy. We’ve only been asked for two refunds and I’m grateful that folks are sticking with us. But, as well as a good order book, folk have been calling to register and have got themselves in the queue ready to start training. Clearly no dates are allocated at the moment.

I’m really fortunate that the company is extremely well established and is 100% debt free. So, financially, we can weather this for a long time without issue. The big question now is when will tests be available so we can start work? Maybe Boris will give us a clue on Sunday.

Social distancing and the lack of examiners are the issues stopping us working at the moment. But we may be able to reduce the social distancing as both people are side by side as opposed to facing each other. Government guidance will tell us when that can happen. And, until examiners go back to work, there’s little we can do.

Thanks again to everyone sticking with us in these unusual times,

Have a great weekend all,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Btw Pete, how are you doing business wise in the current climate? What does your ‘order book’ look like? Are you even able to operate with the social distancing issues?

I’m really fortunate that the company is extremely well established and is 100% debt free. So, financially, we can weather this for a long time without issue.

That’s not fortunate Pete, it didn’t happen by chance, it’s by having and utilising a healthy dose of good old fashioned common sense, someting which should apply to business just as much as a well run household and it should be how the country is run too.

Chapeau :sunglasses:

Peter Smythe:

The doors closed on March 23rd and we’ve done no training since. At that point, we had 6 weeks work for all trainers which is healthy. We’ve only been asked for two refunds and I’m grateful that folks are sticking with us. But, as well as a good order book, folk have been calling to register and have got themselves in the queue ready to start training. Clearly no dates are allocated at the moment.

I’m really fortunate that the company is extremely well established and is 100% debt free. So, financially, we can weather this for a long time without issue. The big question now is when will tests be available so we can start work? Maybe Boris will give us a clue on Sunday.

Social distancing and the lack of examiners are the issues stopping us working at the moment. But we may be able to reduce the social distancing as both people are side by side as opposed to facing each other. Government guidance will tell us when that can happen. And, until examiners go back to work, there’s little we can do.

Thanks again to everyone sticking with us in these unusual times,

Have a great weekend all,

Yep, sounds like the examiners are your road block. SD needs a common sense approach as it’s impossible to do given the nature of the work, same as any other work that requires more than 1 person sharing a vehicle. The place I started at last week required on the job training and it was made clear from the start that SD would not be possible and the ball was put back in my court asking whether I’d be happy to proceed, along them asking me if I had CV19 past/present or any symptons to the best of my knowledge.
Similar “self-certification” thing from their own driver trainer. Obviously it’s not foolproof but life has to go on and you can’t keep everyone wrapped up in cotton wool forever. I expect most drivers and wannabes realise this and would be happy to proceed, but the cynic in me sees the examiners milking the situation for all it’s worth, no doubt citing SD arguments at every hint of having to return to work soon.

I’m genuinely surprised that you haven’t had more cancellations (which is great news for you). Do you have an arrangement where you guarantee a job placement after passing, or are they on their own? I wonder if that may be a factor?

dieseldave:
I can’t imagine how you might think that pre-mod could be your prize for saying what you said. :confused:

I recall a distant time when for a spell all manner of thread topics reached a point where one or more contributors put forward Brexit as the root cause and caused some (justified) disdain from the others involved in the topic. But I mentioned it in jest.

Switch to now the old school loon with the sign warning of the end of the world might be regarded as being a quite balanced view…

I am not with Petes school, but did get a refund from the school i was booked with.
They quoted all this you’ll lose your place in the queue stuff at me.
To be honest. I did it because i wasn’t convinced they’d survive the crisis and i had paid the whole amount up front and didn’t wanna take the chance.
When i eventually get to rebook, I’ll be paying minimum deposit, rest is due 2 weeks before test.
I don’t anticipate a great long queue, be surprised if there is, the haulage industry is gonna be in crisis itself at that point.
I’m defo still doing it though, my new job is being held for me.

Interesting thread, I am in a similar situation but have my Class 1, no experience though and just used my furlough time getting my CPC card as I currently work as a contractor on a luxury car site which with all this going on I can see the purstrings being tightened!
I don’t enjoy my work but been stuck in the routine for so long I struggle with confidence to move on and try something new, this could be the shove I need, fingers crossed somebody will take a punt on us newbies!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Tim Fuego:
Also, off topic but wondered what the difference is between a class 2 hgv and a 13 metre 14 tonne coach to drive ? Load aspect is a different kettle of fish i suppose.

I’m also a furloughed coach driver “temporarily” driving artics and tbh there isn’t much difference in the actual driving a class 2 to a 13m coach, class 2 is probably better in that aspect :laughing:
Just remember that there’s no front overhang though, as my driver trainer on my 14.6m trailer training kept reminding me :blush: :laughing:

Do you have an arrangement where you guarantee a job placement after passing

In short, no. Never have done. Most so called job interviews/placements rarely materialise into anything worth having. I don’t mislead anyone and am always brutally honest about the situation as it is at the time.

However, from time to time local operators will approach us for drivers and we’ll always point folk at them. But absolutely no nonsense about guaranteeing interviews etc.

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

Tim Fuego:
Passed post 97 so cant even tow a caravan…

Yes you can under the B licence 3500kg limit
Example -
Car
GVW 2100
Max tow limit 1600
Caravan MTPLM 1400 or Trailer plated MAM 1400

2100+1400=3500 so 100% legal on a B licence

I never thought of it like that. You are absolutely right thanks Rog

toby1234abc:
Tim , do you have a Gregory distribution depot near to you , before the virus days , they may pay for your training to get your relevant license for rigid or artics ?
I am not sure if they are still doing an apprentice scheme to get in to driving , or start in their warehouse or fork lift driving .
They own Kays ltd , a Palletline member and MMD transport and have acquired Hayton and Coulthard , AR Craib , Framptons , and numerous other buy outs or stand alone businesses .
Craib and Coulthard are based in Scotland , so too far for you .

Are you reasonably close to their Shepton Mallet depot , I am not sure how the job situation is like there ?
For Dcpc training , or ADR , check out Friendberry training , discount if live a certain radius from Taunton , for residential courses , they arrange the accommodation .

Thanks Toby - really helpful reply. Theres a place often advertising for ADR driving down here so I wondered about that training too.

I’m wondering if in a current situation it makes sense to go for category D. I thought about it as a back up, just in case, but it looks like people will be switching to private transport, they predict car sale will go up, not to mention some eco friendly means of transport.

Peter Smythe:
Many folk get work by word of mouth. Not a lot of work is advertised. If you dont know anyone in the “know”, it’s best to go round the operators and introduce yourself. Do it now while you’ve got time. The smaller operators are often more open to new drivers.

The coach driving experience, IMO, should count. But in some cases it doesn’t. I dont know why.

You will find CAT C much easier as the overhang on the front is virtually nil and the wheelbase is short (in comparison). Rear overhang still needs care. On a two axle truck you wont notice any weight difference. Go up to 3 axles (26t) or 4 axles (32t) and it will be more noticeable but shouldn’t worry you.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I do I think! Sheer ■■■■ prejudice. I tried a coach training with a firm before doing C+E. As soon as the instructor knew I was HGV cat C all changed. I gave up and walked out. He said that HGV drivers don’t make good coach drivers as they cannot handle the public.

Bit like teaching - if you have taught in a FE college you’ll never be accepted in school. Once in school I had a training day and we had to comment on some teaching skills - the video being in a college. We had to comment on the excellent teaching skills. Teacher training is a higher standard in colleges and most teachers qualified to post graduate level - but schools decide it is not recognised. When I commented… as a FE trained teacher… …oops - I was informed I was no longer required the following year. Chronic shortage of Maths teachers but… after nursing my mother with Alzheimer’s I wasn’t going to try again. Got a job driving 7.5T initially and then did cat C when I had the cash.

Part of life. I’ve no doubt you are an excellent driver and would pass first time, maybe get a first job quite easily and PSV is history but then again you may find the stigma remains attached. I thought there was a shortage of PSV that’s why I considered it… as for the lockdown - it’ll have to end soon.

Another ‘part of life’ to bear in mind for C+E. Few days ago for example I enjoyed - had two afternoon collections. Arrived at 14:45 waited near the entrance gate for the other artic loading to be completed. Five minutes later moved down the lane to the appropriate area behind the building and proceeded to load. Then another artic arrives and blocks the exit. Out of the 30 odd notes on the test perhaps the most essential criteria in the Test is “awareness and planning” (Note: 26 Driving Test report). I assume the driver did not have a UK Licence… awareness and planning also applies off road. I always keep awareness and planning in my mind at all times.

So to exit I had a manoeuvring challenge to accomplish in an already tight yard and did my best to communicate with the other driver who spoke little English as ‘juggling’ was required. I managed to get past with the unit front o/s tyre just half on the raised concrete and missing the building on the n/s by an inch. Even if I say so myself that was an outstanding effort. I left I think at 15:16 and so had managed the loading and juggling in record time. I arrived at 2nd location at 16:02 and departed 16:18 - I think it was only five pallets but a good effort I feel it is fair to say.

Whilst I only passed my test last October I think it is fair to say that I can cope with challenges as they arise and driving in London was great experience (all the ‘nutters’ one could ever hope to meet in one place and somehow not a bump).

Main difference between PSV and HGV - one drives a bus/coach like a gentleman… a truck under pressure and loads of hassle. For nights out PSV get a travel lodge - HGV a layby/ service station and the added bonus of knocks on the window from the ‘ladies of the night’ which I don’t appreciate.

But when it comes to job securing and retention one’s main competition is our East European friends. Firms get EU funding as part of the ‘freedom of movement’ and so if you are English you are not exactly in the front of the queue. Of course they will claim their standard of driving is higher… the course in Poland is about £100 I’m told to drive down a straight track. With experience anyone develops good manoeuvring skills bit one has got to get the job first.

Before someone accuses me of racism - French drivers I have noticed are very good and apparently their test is a higher standard than UK and it shows from what I’ve seen.

When there is no more physical delivery of bullion silver, you know this aint gonna be recession, it is a depression. And the last one gave us a very funny guy in Germany…

Expect the government to panic next year with the tsunami of bankruptcies and public kitchens/food banks to feed the unemployed, they will heavily spend on infrastructure, trying to resuscitate a carcass of services based economy. Does anyone remeber the Roosevelt New Deal during the depression of 29? [That will be a good area to get some tickets now, CSCS MPQC maybe even some heavy plant].

I’ve got a very different take on the impending recession/depression which may sound very odd, this could be an excellent opportunity for a lot of people for lots of different reasons.

So let’s presume there’s normally 100 people a month passing their tests. People stop spending or borrowing to gain their license so let’s say there’s now only 50 people a month passing their test. In the next few years the supposed driver shortage will be a whole lot worse.
Those who passed their test and managed to scrabble around for some work are now experienced drivers who can command a premium.

Now look at owner drivers and haulage firms. When they start going bust (which they will unfortunately) their assets will be sold at public auction to the highest bidder. Imagine buying a truck for half what it cost the other guy or company? You’re now able to compete with the likes of stobart and maritime. More bankruptcies means the main dealers will be fighting for R+M work offering better deals.

Restraunts will go bust. But imagine buying all of their equipment for less than half what they paid. Landlords will bend over backwards to get you in their property because who else is going to take it?

I’m seeing it happen now with lots of auction houses doing ‘short notice’ liquidation sales. Some of the prices are very scarey (or interesting) depending on whether you’re a buyer or seller.

In every downturn there are winners. That’s just the way it goes. Knowing when to call bottom and step in and start buying is a whole other story. Call it too soon and you’ll go broke too, call it too late and you’ve missed the boat.

I’m watching auction with interest.

Less than an uplifting thread to start the day with… I thought the government might temporarily increase taxes or something, and we’ll be back to normal within a year or so. Certainly not that there might be food shortages in the near future, and even Hitler was mentioned two posts up?

Think I’ll postpone getting an HGV licence until next year and see what’s up then. Definitely don’t want to compete with hundreds of applicants for every job offer posted online :frowning:

“the course in Poland is about £100 I’m told to drive down a straight track.”

I guess you know this because " my mate told me…" [emoji16]

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

I guess you know this because " my mate told me…"

I dont know the details of the training/test regime in Poland. But I know this for certain: dozens and dozens of Polish nationals pass through my doors every year and the reason often given is that it’s much easier here than in Poland.

With so many Polish guys saying exactly the same, I’m inclined to think there’s something in it.

Peter Smythe:

I guess you know this because " my mate told me…"

I dont know the details of the training/test regime in Poland. But I know this for certain: dozens and dozens of Polish nationals pass through my doors every year and the reason often given is that it’s much easier here than in Poland.

With so many Polish guys saying exactly the same, I’m inclined to think there’s something in it.

Well the folk I work with in this area are about 90% Poles and say they wouldn’t attempt the test here. For the cost they can go back home, have a holiday, do the test and return.

Interesting how there can be two polar opposite anecdotal quotes; only one can be correct. And I’m not clever enough to know which is which.

This Polish school shows car lessons with costs. Course of 30hrs plus theory, translator, and medical.
motostart.waw.pl/driving-licence-warsaw/
Looks like 3000 or 4000 PLN for a car licence? £600 to £800.
I could be reading it all wrong, but looks cheap enough for a car.
And here
translate.google.com/translate? … rev=search
and prices
translate.googleusercontent.com … sT-0MHjLNQ
2,500 for a C licence? £500 ?
No idea of test pass standard etc, but training hours etc seem similar don`t they?
No expertise from me, just a Google search.