if no deal

‘Oh, Jeremy Corbyn!’ :smiley:

albion:
If you don’t know what the other side are going to want/demand, how can you tell anyone what will happen?

I was definitely told that following a decision to leave that there would be half a million unemployed, firms would flee, instead of which unemployment is at a 43 year low, business investment is up, wages are rising at the fastest rate in three years…

So by that, I’m not intending to suggest that things won’t become worse if/when we Brexit, just that firstly we were told that life would be terrible if voted to leave, secondly, no-one seems to have a functioning crystal ball so they may as well admit it’s all a bit of a guess and thirdly, I’m a pragmatist and now that I’m knocking on, I generally find things are never as bad as the Chicken Lickens suggested.

I’ll leave this here for the moment, but I expect it will be moved to Bullys soon - Carryfast, Winseer…where are you :laughing:

Haven’t read the entire thread but the bit in bold is something that whenever I see it mentioned that unemployment is at its lowest, I have to laugh. In the real world, these people who make up the figures have very little job security, 0 hour contracts, are expected to be available to work at a moments notice and threatened with no work if the don’t comply.

To me that’s not something to be shouting about, there are 10s of thousands of people being exploited by businesses, all so this shambles of a government can claim they have done more for the unemployed than the previous governments.

ClassOneHD:

albion:
If you don’t know what the other side are going to want/demand, how can you tell anyone what will happen?

I was definitely told that following a decision to leave that there would be half a million unemployed, firms would flee, instead of which unemployment is at a 43 year low, business investment is up, wages are rising at the fastest rate in three years…

So by that, I’m not intending to suggest that things won’t become worse if/when we Brexit, just that firstly we were told that life would be terrible if voted to leave, secondly, no-one seems to have a functioning crystal ball so they may as well admit it’s all a bit of a guess and thirdly, I’m a pragmatist and now that I’m knocking on, I generally find things are never as bad as the Chicken Lickens suggested.

I’ll leave this here for the moment, but I expect it will be moved to Bullys soon - Carryfast, Winseer…where are you :laughing:

Haven’t read the entire thread but the bit in bold is something that whenever I see it mentioned that unemployment is at its lowest, I have to laugh. In the real world, these people who make up the figures have very little job security, 0 hour contracts, are expected to be available to work at a moments notice and threatened with no work if the don’t comply.

To me that’s not something to be shouting about, there are 10s of thousands of people being exploited by businesses, all so this shambles of a government can claim they have done more for the unemployed than the previous governments.

6% of the workforce are on zero hours, of which a quarter want more hours

ons.gov.uk/employmentandlab … /april2018

Personally I think introducing a limit on how many people as a percentage of company employees are on zero hours, is perfectly reasonable. But some people like zero hours, I spent some time working that way and it suited me at the time. Not that it was called zero hours in those days.

The initial point remains that we were told that armageddon would be on the cards following a Leave vote, which didn’t happen; how that employment is made up, is a different kettle of fish.

I would argue that the “Gig Economy” is to be praised for keeping the UK a head and shoulders above every other country in Europe.

Would we really want to swap systems with Germany right now■■?

In Germany, even Lefties can get murdered by fake refugees after all! Note that Die Linke is now below AfD in terms of “House Position”. :bulb:

Over here, for the time being, the Left and Liberals don’t give a toss about who gets killed by whom, simply because it isn’t Labour voters that are perishing.

“Grenfell Tower” was another matter though. The effect of that has yet to be felt in any election, general or by-.

I would say that Labour’s chances of holding onto Kensington ward - are “slim to none”… other voters in the area - will take fright at a possible Labour surge at the next election - and the Tory vote will be well and truly out!

toonsy:
All I ever read is opinion. Nothing is fact because nobody knows anything.

But it does make me wonder…

Has anyone actually done something in their personal lives to sort of “Brexit-proof” their finances if you like?

A few months after the vote I fixed my mortgage long term, and I’ve used the time to pay off niggling debts which will be clear at the start of March so worst case I’m alright. Has anyone else prepared like this?

Yes it might sound overly dramatic but at the end of the day if things go belly up for a bit I’m covered and if they don’t then I’ve got more cash so win win I guess lol

No I’ve cleared debts off and was going to change the car but il wait another year.
I was mortgage free but we are moving and although it’s a relatively small mortgage we are getting I’ve got a five year fix o a good rate get by one way or another

jamdoms:
Initially no one voted for Theresa May and we all know where she is taking us…Democracy my left leg!

If you want a presidential system then campaign for that, but don’t complain after the event because you don’t like hoe it works, same as those in the USA who complained about their system being flawed because their candidate didn’t win.

And besides that Teresa May did call an election, where the Conservative party sort of won.

jamdoms:

Ah! the irony of a crowd of those demographically likely to be Remain supporters chanting for a man who has been firmly anti-eu/eec for his entire political career.

Bit like a load of working class people thinking an old Etonian and a former stockbroker have their best interests at heart.

Optimum:
extract from DfT

Community Licences, ECMT permits and market access
In the unlikely event of no deal, UK hauliers could no longer rely on automatic recognition by the EU of UK-issued Community Licences. Hauliers may therefore no longer be able to access EU markets with their Community Licence alone. This would also end the ability of UK hauliers to perform cabotage.

Upside is UK wouldn’t recognise EU ones either so the days of seeing long lines of Johhny Flip Flops heading to and from Dover would be over. If it happened I think I’d possibly think about buying a tractor unit as there’d be a massive increase in unaccompanied trailers coming over.

jamdoms:
Initially no one voted for Theresa May and we all know where she is taking us…Democracy my left leg!

Nobody voted her in initially but when Cameron walked, despite her original alloy lady stance, she called an election, (rightly so) Corbyn replaced Brown/Blair in case they got jail.

Corbyn was only voted for in Islington in 1983, that’s not a lot of people really

I’m surprised there has never been a concerted effort in modern elections - to vote for a party enough to return it to government - but to unseat the sitting Prime Minister in their own seat using “Grass Roots” as a kind of “Flying Pickets”…

Imagine Theresa May losing her majority in Maidenhead, whilst the Tories increased their majority back to “overall majority” again?

That would win the election, but change the Prime Minister, surely?

Wheel Nut:

jamdoms:

Corbyn was only voted for in Islington in 1983, that’s not a lot of people really

General Election 2017: Islington North
Labour Jeremy Corbyn 40,086 73.0 +12.7

General Election 2017: Maidenhead
Conservative Theresa May 37,718 64.8 −1.0
:smiley:

jamdoms:

Wheel Nut:

jamdoms:

General Election 2017: Islington North
Labour Jeremy Corbyn 40,086 73.0 +12.7

General Election 2017: Maidenhead
Conservative Theresa May 37,718 64.8 −1.0
:smiley:

Yes but we don’t vote for a premier, we can only vote for the member of Parliament where we live and I would sooner live in Bradford or Bolton than Islington or Maidenhead. The conservative voters knew they were going to get May

muckles:

jamdoms:

Ah! the irony of a crowd of those demographically likely to be Remain supporters chanting for a man who has been firmly anti-eu/eec for his entire political career.

Bit like a load of working class people thinking an old Etonian and a former stockbroker have their best interests at heart.

When your faced with the choice of the current right wing junta or the politics of Jeremy Corbyn I instinctively know who isn’t out to shaft the working man regardless if we stay in the eu/eec or not.
Check out shady Theresa today performing to her American audience , total sell out!

jamdoms:

muckles:

jamdoms:

When your faced with the choice of the current right wing junta or the politics of Jeremy Corbyn I instinctively know who isn’t out to shaft the working man regardless if we stay in the eu/eec or not.
Check out shady Theresa today performing to her American audience , total sell out!

I don’t know about a Right Wing Junta, the present Tory party leadership would really like to follow the same Neo-liberal globalist economic system that successive UK, US and European governments (including New Labour) have followed for the last few decades, which has seen the gap between the richest and poorest widen, wage stagnation, poorest countries get poorer as more of their wealth and resources fall into the hands of global corporations, backed up by policies from unelected organisations like the WTO and IMF and a global financial collapse, leading to years of austerity and mass un-employment in countries like Greece, Spain and Italy.
I’d like to believe in Corbyn, but I feel he and the present Labour Party are still out of touch with the ordinary working people of this country.

muckles:

jamdoms:

muckles:

jamdoms:

I don’t know about a Right Wing Junta, the present Tory party leadership would really like to follow the same Neo-liberal globalist economic system that successive UK, US and European governments (including New Labour) have followed for the last few decades, which has seen the gap between the richest and poorest widen, wage stagnation, poorest countries get poorer as more of their wealth and resources fall into the hands of global corporations, backed up by policies from unelected organisations like the WTO and IMF and a global financial collapse, leading to years of austerity and mass un-employment in countries like Greece, Spain and Italy.
I’d like to believe in Corbyn, but I feel he and the present Labour Party are still out of touch with the ordinary working people of this country.

So of not Jeremy who then? There is no other party offering an end to the current madness we find our country in.
The Archbishop of Caterbury suggests our system of work and reward is broken, Theresa Mays reply to this is “work harder”
Where have I seen something similar to this reply, could it be “Arbeit macht frei”.
Right Wing Junta indeed…

toonsy:

Has anyone actually done something in their personal lives to sort of “Brexit-proof” their finances if you like?

A few months after the vote I fixed my mortgage long term, and I’ve used the time to pay off niggling debts which will be clear at the start of March so worst case I’m alright. Has anyone else prepared like this?

Yes it might sound overly dramatic but at the end of the day if things go belly up for a bit I’m covered and if they don’t then I’ve got more cash so win win I guess lol

Well, if you’ve got any surplus cash, invest it in some of the many British-owned businesses, who publicly say that Brexit will enable them to rapidly expand to greater prosperity.

What’s that…oh, there aren’t any.

In that case, do what the leading advocates of Brexit are doing (Jake Rees-Mogg for example) and convert what £ you have into € so you can cash in when the £ nose-dives in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

To be fair, Wetherspoons’ boss is pro-Brexit.

So go to the pub and get ■■■■■■■

In the Speaker’s current seat, Labour don’t field a candidate. The minor parties DO however.

I can imagine a scenario where a concerted effort by minor parties to “get rid of Berclow” - might find fruit…

Indi candidate stands aside?

The voting public lose faith in the Greens - because they’ve not got anything done of any use with their one MP?

Labour and Libdem voters - could easily consider “voting UKIP” at the next election in a void of much other opposition to “split the votes” - and end up unseating what is supposed to be the “safest seat in the house”…

Does Theresa May’s support come from Remainers, still hoping that she’ll turn over Brexit? Hers is a Remain-voting ward, after all…
If Brexit is completed, those disgruntled remainers might give her arse a good kick - towards the exit!

GasGas:

toonsy:

Well, if you’ve got any surplus cash, invest it in some of the many British-owned businesses, who publicly say that Brexit will enable them to rapidly expand to greater prosperity.

What’s that…oh, there aren’t any.

In that case, do what the leading advocates of Brexit are doing (Jake Rees-Mogg for example) and convert what £ you have into € so you can cash in when the £ nose-dives in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

To be fair, Wetherspoons’ boss is pro-Brexit.

So go to the pub and get ■■■■■■■

Actually I’m considering building a ■■■■■■■■ bunker that I can hide away in until it all blows over :laughing:

A couple of points I would like to raise regarding cross channel traffic.

#1 if , according to recent reports that we will have to have ‘new’ driving licences, as ours will not be recognised by the EU, will all EU drivers have to change theirs if we had the nuts to say that EU licences will not be recognised in the UK ?

#2 Will EU transport firms have to apply for permits to operate in the UK as we will have to have one to operate in the EU ?

Been a long time out of euro work and wondered what will/ought to apply.

jamdoms:
When your faced with the choice of the current right wing junta . . .

When the left spout this right wing junta nonsense all they do is highlight how far to the left they have gone.

At the moment we have a hard left Momentum led Labour Party and a weak wet liberal Conservative Party.

If only there were some actual labour MP’s within Labour and conservative MP’s within the Conservatives . . .