I didn’t know MAN did cruise ships

AndrewG:

dieseldog999:

Carryfast:

AndieHyde:
Started out as an iron works, got into the engineering sector and have pretty much made everything in their time.

Including the engines for the WW1 and WW2 U Boat fleet.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
watch about 5 hours of das boot and you can smell the warm diesel :slight_smile:

And one of the very best films ever made…

Excellent film and an Excellent book.
Describing how ballast and buoyancy leaves a boat suspended on the periscope!

AndrewG:

dieseldog999:

Carryfast:

AndieHyde:
Started out as an iron works, got into the engineering sector and have pretty much made everything in their time.

Including the engines for the WW1 and WW2 U Boat fleet.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
watch about 5 hours of das boot and you can smell the warm diesel :slight_smile:

^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
the only hard part about the film is getting rid of your misses for the 5 hours needed to watch it in peace… :slight_smile:

AndrewG:

dieseldog999:

But like the film Fury it was spoiled by a silly over dramatic inaccurate ending bearing in mind the French U boat bunkers were never actually penetrated in numerous bombing raids.

Just as Fury would have been far better ended by a single 88 mm shot from long range which took out all of them.That film would have been far better ended by a quick air attack within sight of the French coast with the final scene being the plane crew saying well done lads let’s get home for tea. :bulb: :frowning:

dieseldog999:

AndrewG:

dieseldog999:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
the only hard part about the film is getting rid of your misses for the 5 hours needed to watch it in peace… :slight_smile:

Youre not wrong there. Especially if youre after the full on effect of the film ie having an open can of diesel in the same room…

Franglais:
Excellent film and an Excellent book.

Two of the best books on the subject I’ve read both even better than the Das Boot.

goodreads.com/book/show/1053319.Iron_Coffins

submarinebooks.com/u-boat-977-paperback/

for maximum realism then you would only need to dip a pair of your skiddies into the diesel tank before popping them into a lidl bad then placing on top of the room radiator.obviously you would have been wearing the aforementioned undercrackers in true submariner fashion. 1 week normal,followed by 1 week back to front,then another week inside out… :grimacing:

dieseldog999:
for maximum realism then you would only need to dip a pair of your skiddies into the diesel tank before popping them into a lidl bad then placing on top of the room radiator.obviously you would have been wearing the aforementioned undercrackers in true submariner fashion. 1 week normal,followed by 1 week back to front,then another week inside out… :grimacing:

:smiley: :smiley:

We’re currently running 2 x Scania aux engines which engineers hate and a John Deere Emergency generator on the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunlopc:
We’re currently running 2 x Scania aux engines which engineers hate and a John Deere Emergency generator on the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the captain won’t let them put frilly curtains up in the wheel house and add extra lights [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

:smiley:
running scanias and john deere kit then the engineers uniform must resemble full tang spec?

tang wave.jpg

I collected a load of pistons and heads from an oil rig supply company a few years ago that were going back to MAN for renovation.
I have also delivered a clutch for a navy frigate and also Disc brakes and calipers for oil rigs , 7 discs and calipers = 2.6 tonnes.
Even individual components are remarkably large .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

AndieHyde:
Not quite.
The boiler will be fired with good old fossil fuels. During the process of turning sulfur (a yellow rock) in to acid (a clear liquid) it is turned into a gas that must be incinerated in a furnace which creates a lot of “waste” heat. This heat is captured by converting it in to steam and fed in to the steam turbine and made into electricty.

I have done 3 annual shutdowns at a similar plant and to give a perspective of how hot these things are, it takes 9 days and 100000 litres of diesel to get the furnace up to temperature.

Energy can not be created or destroyed, it can only be converted. But it is an insight to how hungry the world will be when we run out of oil.

Memory tells me 1480 deg C at the back end of the boiler before we started with the sulphur injection…but it’s a while ago !

fodentanker:
MAN Engines had a place in Colchester.

I used to deliver to them.

Was it Paxman ■■
edit … yes it was but only from 2000, Davy Paxman was formed in 1865. Wikipedia is your friend … :slight_smile: