HOW FAR

newbie question how far from the places you would intend on working in time/miles would be ideal or classed as to far,

I am close to a serious amount of fridge work in Spalding but am under financial constraints as i am able to afford getting my class 2 (have got everything else done) but class 1 will have to wait,

all the answers i managed to get from the company’s i have spoken with are ‘class 2 nah no work for class 2 round here’ so am looking further afield but how far,

i used to work in london 2 hour trip to & from work & back different trade, in the end used to sleep in my van in company car park for 4 days then come home (worked nights) 7 years of that so well used to sleeping out & staying away from home.

any help appreciated.

Depends on the job really.

General haulage could be anything up to 15 hours a day an hour from the depot seriously eats your day especially at the end of a long day. You could live in the car, but in that case i would look more at class 2 tramping jobs so you’ve got a more comfy bed and probably better pay.

If its pallet work then its more likely to be 10 hours a day so an hour drive either way isnt too bad. Harder work sometimes than fridges (although not always) but usually better hours.

Theres always class 2 work around somewhere although pallet networks tend to use more of them than anyone else. Companies who run mostly class 1s arent always that in the loop.

For pallets I’d say a hour each way max. For general, ideally 30 mins or tramping. Have done plenty of 15 hours with an hour home / work each way, and 9 hour reduced rest…its a killer, plus it makes you go grey.

Don’t know if this helps but Rose Aggregates are advertising for a class 2 tipper driver in peterbourough. Reasonable close according to google 31mins in car,.
Been on 2 days. Good luck.