How can they do this

Did u get an answer?

No answer yet. The camera van had been missing since I emailed the MetPolice back in November. It reappeared in the same place last week so I’m going to email my MP about it now.

Dont take what i am about to say as gospel(find out if it is true 1st)
If you drive into the back of an illegally parked vehicle, in the eyes of the insurance companies it would be the offending vehicles insurance that would haved to pay up, which in turn i would say is because its their fault because they shouldnt be parked there, so…
If you was to drive into the back of the Police van with the camera, maybe it would spark a national reveiw on some of the stupid places they park to try and catch the unsuspecting motorists to create a bit of cash to pay for their next Annual Police Ball.
Dont get me wrong…i think the fixed cameras are a good idea if placed in the right places such as Accident black spots and other places where it is 1 waiting to happen.

For a number of months now the Met Police have been using one of their mobile camera vans on the A40 at (or to be precise, underneath) the target roundabout where this road is crossed by the A312.

For those who don’t know the A40 at this point is a 4 lane dual carriageway with a hard shoulder on each carriageway. The road at this point is classified as an Urban Clearway and has a 50mph limit.

The camera van has been under the roundabout parked in the shadows of the bridge and on the hard shoulder.

When you consider that a substantial number of accidents occur on dual carriageways when stationary vehicles are struck on the hard shoulder this practise must be seen as being reckless.

What power are the police using to stop on a clearway for this purpose. I ought to make it clear that its not the speed camera I object to per se but the fact that my driving environment is being endangered in the name of road safety.

Anyone… ?

Afraid I don’t know the answer but I saw it again as I walked over to McD’s when I got home tonight. As you say it really is in a dangerous spot there. It’s hardly visible at all even in dry conditions, with rain and spray it’s gotta be an accident just waiting to happen.

If you can take a photo and send it in to a paper, if it is parked illegally i think all convictions are null and void

Well in the absence of an answer being forthcoming through this avenue I have done the next obvious thing. I have fired the question directly at the Met police. I’ll let you know what they say :slight_smile: