Home brew sleeper cabs

Good grief, chaps…those last few remind me of that ghastly thing that Jeremy Clarkson came up with on a Citroën Pallas!

The ones I’m on about were literally just a case of knocking out those little windows
above the engine flaps, and welding in a steel box, extending the parcel shelf by…ooh, maybe a foot or so each side.

One or two really went exotic and extended the shelf by a foot or more rearwards as well…and the luxurious Bedford hotel was spawned!

Thanks for what you’ve found, though…they are muchly appreciated. Keep 'em coming!

robthedog:
interesting one

What even is that? FIAT? UNIC? (And what’s the difference anyway?)

ParkRoyal2100:

robthedog:
interesting one

hanomag-henschel by the look.

tony

tonyj105:

ParkRoyal2100:

robthedog:
interesting one

hanomag-henschel by the look.

tony

Thanks Tony.

Robert, no luck on that (Australian??) LAD cab Leyland yet, will keep looking. It’s in a museum or collection somewhere…

This thread is super. It shows that all the “innovations” foisted upon us by the big firms had been done many times over by DIY practitioners and coachbuilders.

Was the LAD Leyland (Bear? Retriever?) actually used like that, or was it just done as a novelty show exhibit? The pink ERF looks as good as a factory job. Is it still in existence?

[zb]
anorak:
This thread is super. It shows that all the “innovations” foisted upon us by the big firms had been done many times over by DIY practitioners and coachbuilders.

Was the LAD Leyland (Bear? Retriever?) actually used like that, or was it just done as a novelty show exhibit? The pink ERF looks as good as a factory job. Is it still in existence?

Not sure if it’s still around but IIRC the pink ERF was a C-series with an E-series grille. Robert

CZC00027-2.jpg

Robert,you’re the clever one.See if you can find a photo of Roly Long’s Scania with the Greek ‘‘addition’’ he had done.I’ve got a photo but no scanner.
I don’t suppose my old ERF would Count as it was a ‘‘professional’’ :question: job.Mike

hutpik:
Robert,you’re the clever one.See if you can find a photo of Roly Long’s Scania with the Greek ‘‘addition’’ he had done.I’ve got a photo but no scanner.
I don’t suppose my old ERF would Count as it was a ‘‘professional’’ :question: job.Mike

Beat you to it Robert!
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38865

Well done lads,both truck and driver are a worthy inclusion here.

hutpik:
Well done lads,both truck and driver are a worthy inclusion here.

The least I can do is to include your professional ERF, Mike! Robert

Here you go Micke! Hope everything is good up north!

Danne

Roly Long 141.jpg

C’mon somebody with IT skills. Put up a pic. of Bob Paul’s MkV AEC. Jim.

Thanks Robert.
Well done Danne.Everything is good up here,first day with -30c today so Winter is '‘really’'here now.Mike

jmc jnr:
C’mon somebody with IT skills. Put up a pic. of Bob Paul’s MkV AEC. Jim.

Here you, Jim! Robert

AEC4.jpg

A couple of Seddons. The older one looks South American. Robert

3726594178_164ba6dd5d_b.jpg

A Guy Big-J and a LHD ‘ergo’ Leyland. robert

IMGP1623.jpg

Three different kinds of Atkinson add-ons. Robert

68ca74da.jpg

South American treatment of a Ford D-series. Robert

And this, I think, is precisely the kind of thing the OP is looking for: a LHD Bedford KM (probably with a D/D engine and 9-speed Fuller), with a rabbit hutch jammed on the back! Robert

LHD KM poss DD+F9.jpg

ParkRoyal2100:
[quote="tonyj105
Robert, no luck on that (Australian??) LAD cab Leyland yet, will keep looking. It’s in a museum or collection somewhere…

Cheers! Robert