"Heavy Haulage through the years"

DIG:

jsutherland:
Hi DIG,

Thanks for posting your friends pictures. Good to hear from you.

Cheers
Johnny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks Johnny heres another I wasn’t on this photo but did a couple of loads,they are concrete culverts used for bridges over creeks in the Hammersly ranges when the sealed road north from Mt Newman was built.The Culverts were manufactured in Darwin and trucked to the highway construction sites up to 3000kms south in WA.
I can honestly say 3 trailers of these were the hardest loads I ever asked my truck to pull it was like pulling against half a dozen head winds at once.
Cheers Dig

Hi DIG,

Driving with such a load for 3000 km, not always on “German autobahn” type roads must have been quite a trip. Not for the faint hearted…

jsutherland:

DIG:

jsutherland:
Hi DIG,

Thanks for posting your friends pictures. Good to hear from you.

Cheers
Johnny

Thanks Johnny heres another I wasn’t on this photo but did a couple of loads,they are concrete culverts used for bridges over creeks in the Hammersly ranges when the sealed road north from Mt Newman was built.The Culverts were manufactured in Darwin and trucked to the highway construction sites up to 3000kms south in WA.
I can honestly say 3 trailers of these were the hardest loads I ever asked my truck to pull it was like pulling against half a dozen head winds at once.
Cheers Dig

Hi DIG,

Driving with such a load for 3000 km, not always on “German autobahn” type roads must have been quite a trip. Not for the faint hearted…

Good reference Johnny
The Autobahn as you neared the delivery points was a challenge at times as this jump up in the Chichester ranges which are on the northern side of the Hammerslys proved,it could be successfully navigated with 2 trailers but with 3 it was normal to drop the third go over drop the second then go back for the third but in this case the boys Bill and Legger are using one truck to push he would then go back for his other trailer he had taken one over already.It just saved a little time.
If all the planets were in alignment and it was the middle of the night you could be lucky and get over with 3 but very tricky if you spun out near the top and had to unhook one.

Cheers Bill and Dig

DIG
Which was the best at it the Mack or the Kenny ■■

DISPATCHER:
DIG
Which was the best at it the Mack or the Kenny ■■

Good day DP of the era these photos were taken there wasn’t much difference in the trucks ability to do the job but I have owned both and would have to say in todays world heaven forbid if I was starting again KW would be my choice.
Cheers Dig

KW looks in good condition after 12 years

DIG
Heres a couple you might like old Scammells (may have posted before)

DISPATCHER:
DIG
Heres a couple you might like old Scammells (may have posted before)

The KW did a mighty job for us and it had a full rebuild after 7 years it was originally painted in the red and Black livery but I was working out of Perth by then so I had it painted in a neutral colour British racing green.I thought about painting the Mack but got frightened off when I saw the quote so I painted the trailers instead a lot cheaper.
I have never seen any of this model Scammel in the flesh so to speak they are an impressive looking truck obviously built for Heavy Haulage do you know what engines g/boxes etc they came with, i seem to remember seeing on this thread probably one of Deanb s posts some may have come with the K19 ■■■■■■■ same as my KW had.

Cheers Dig

350 ■■■■■■■ and if my memory serves me right I believe it was a fuller box

DISPATCHER:

DP Iwould have thought a bit bigger hp but horses for courses gearing more a priority for the type of work they did.

Heres me and Bill about a month after i took delivery on our way to Darwin with drilling mud,no comments please about the crap tarp job on my lead trailer I got better with age lol I can’t remember much about the trip up,the trip back had some issues but no photos of that.

Cheers Bill and Dig

Wynn’s Pacific Reg No GDW 277 ‘Dreadnought’ is seen here making a left turn off King Street on to Union Street Oldham.
The transformer would have been collected by Wynn’s from the near by Ferranti factory down the road at Hollinwood.
In those days, long before the M62 was built, many loads such like this came through the center of Oldham.

The same load is seen here making the long decent on the A62 from Scouthead down into Delph before the long climb up to Standedge.

In this shot it is making long climb out of Delph on the A62 up towards Standedge cutting before the long descent into Marsden then onward towards Huddersfield.
Note the queue of traffic behind which was a regular occurrence on the A62 through Saddleworth back in those days.

DIG:

DISPATCHER:

DP Iwould have thought a bit bigger hp but horses for courses gearing more a priority for the type of work they did.

Heres me and Bill about a month after i took delivery on our way to Darwin with drilling mud,no comments please about the crap tarp job on my lead trailer I got better with age lol I can’t remember much about the trip up,the trip back had some issues but no photos of that.

Cheers Bill and Dig

Nice pics Dig,keep them coming mate ! :smiley: :wink:

Article from 1992. Click on pages twice to read.

[/quote]
Thanks DeanB you too mate and heres our version of rail by road

Cheers Dig

DEANB:
Article from 1992. Click on pages twice to read.

Most interesting! If I’m not mistaken, these carriages were introduced on the Mammersmith & City and Circle Lines c. 1970, and I travelled daily in them at that time. After checking on forums, it looks they’re no longer in service.

1980 and this Elliot of York Scania 141, Reg No BNC 91T, is pictured parked on Clarence Street in Hull while delivering
the only surviving Hull double-decker tram from Leeds to the Streetlife Museum of Transport in Kingston upon Hull.

moomooland:
0Elliot of York Scania 141 pictured parked on Clarence Street in Hull while delivering
the only surviving Hull double-decker tram from Leeds to the Streetlife Museum of Transport in Kingston upon Hull.

Nice find MML but thats a load that would have you gripping the seat without your hands with any sort of crosswind. lol.

Dig

moomooland:
Elliot of York Scania 141 pictured parked on Clarence Street in Hull while delivering

Cracking pic Paul, great also to see the old capri. :laughing: :wink:

An article from 1993. Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:

moomooland:
Elliot of York Scania 141 pictured parked on Clarence Street in Hull while delivering

Cracking pic Paul, great also to see the old capri. :laughing: :wink:

An article from 1993. Click on pages twice to read.

Dean you keep coming up with them I thought you had a room full but now I.m thinking you live in one room the rest of the house is your store of photos and magazines.lol

Heres another of Bills, 3 tanks of crude oil discharging at the Broome storage tank.
Cheers Dig

Good batch of stuff posted lads, cheers! :wink:

Proper shoebox Bill’s got there DIG, make sure to thank him on behalf of the Heavy Haulage through the years" team :laughing:

DIG:

Thanks DeanB you too mate and heres our version of rail by road
Cheers Dig
[/quote]
Top posts - cheers. Much appreciated.