"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Starting the Hall Scott engine of a Pacific:
youtube.com/watch?time_cont … CEj1COO6OI

Edward Beck S20 Foden ‘Big Bopper’ seen here in action while making it’s way through the suburbs of Manchester in 1967.

Dirty Dan:

DIG:

Dirty Dan:
Hi Dig.
In those conditions we never turn of the truck so when sleeping just abit hight rpm and you are fine. As for the locker that one in the pic is no heat. But in my new one i have the colantsystem from the engine running in there and a fane that blows the heat out so no more wheat gloves so verry good
Todays weather -3 but everything is so wet and cold. Im thinking maby move downunder looks more warm there :smiley:

Danne

Good day Danne -3 sounds a bit fresh still for me,interesting the coolant lines into a fan forced system as you say it would give everything a chance to thaw /dry out,The Shell company trucks here in the north of the state some years ago had small diesel engines mounted behind the cab with an air conditioning system for the cab and as they were water cooled from the truck radiator system the main engine never cooled down which improved the engine life,V8 Macks.
I had a system called Ice Pak mounted on my last truck it had an air cooled single cyl diesel engine running a seperate cab air conditioner system which was handy for a good sleep on hot nights it kept the batteries charged which also gave you a back up if the main alternator failed and a back up for the main cab a/c and used less than a litre per hour.
It does get a little warmer here summer time in the north 50c ambient road temperature can be experienced and we have had several in excess of 40c here at home over the summer months which is just north of Perth and in the heavy freight low loader game it would be a steady steady operation as nothing worse than having to change blown tyres on a 40c day but i.m sure you would soon work that out if you head our way.
Like your hard hat.

Cheers Dig

The Ice Pak is mounted between the fuel tanks and the front drive axel.If you double click it explodes the picture a little.

Hi dig! Its great now more wet gloves! I try to take a pic so see how it looks. The icepac thing there must be great for u. We have something thats sits on the roof that will make your nightsleep in the summer nice and cool. Dont remeber what its called. Maby Patric knows.looks like one of them old AC the M/E trucks had.
But i still prefer the heat,change a tyre or two at -25 no fun… but it is what i is eh. But i dont go on the longhauls so often any more. So feed up sleeping in the truck,kinda looking inte chaninge work…

Dannr

Don’t know if there’s a special name for them, we just call them “night aircon”… although I’ve never used them that often to be honest…
Bit of a surprise to read you’re thinking of doing something else Danne…?

5thwheel:
0Taylor’s Peterhead

Cheers! Are they still “out and about”? Haven’t seen them for ages…

Froggy55:
Starting the Hall Scott engine of a Pacific:
youtube.com/watch?time_cont … CEj1COO6OI

Pure symphony that is Froggy, cheers!

Here’s a clip of driving one…

youtube.com/watch?v=1PzEi9q8I5o

pv83:

5thwheel:
0Taylor’s Peterhead

According to an article I read,they went belly up in 2005,and as usual owed quite a bit of lolly too!!!

David

Interesting Volvo EC650, never saw one before, looks like a Akerman…?

[/quote]
Hi mate! Yeah its custom made and they build 6 of them. Use to unload woodship and timber from ships at mills. I heard this was the last one in use and its from 1996 so it could well be an Åkerman.

Danne
[/quote]
Aah, that’s why it looked so unfamiliar to me, cheers for the info mate :wink:

Thanks to Herr Sutherland, Oily, moomooland and DISPATCHER :wink:

moomooland:
Edward Beck S20 Foden ‘Big Bopper’ seen here in action while making it’s way through the suburbs of Manchester in 1967.

Same “gig”?

5thwheel:

pv83:

5thwheel:
0Taylor’s Peterhead

According to an article I read,they went belly up in 2005,and as usual owed quite a bit of lolly too!!!

David

That explains it then…

pv83:
Same “gig”?

Yes it is i have quite a few images of this movement through the old back streets of Manchester before they built the Mancunian Way.
Click on any picture to view full size.

From the Broshuis archives, some might have been posted before, but I’ve tried to “restore” some of the pic’s…

moomooland:

pv83:
Same “gig”?

Yes it is i have quite a few images of this movement through the old back streets of Manchester before they built the Mancunian Way.
Click on any picture to view full size.

Cheers moomooland! Nice footage of how it was done back in the day…

Wilson, long time user of Broshuis products

Probably the best wagon Wilson had in the fleet… :wink:

1454692_10200583232414990_1550433653_n.jpg

Drivers having a bad day ! :unamused:

hh324.PNG

hh200.jpg

hh373.jpg

hh446.PNG