"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Spardo:

DIG:
I only got it a bit wrong it makes water not uses it,the good news is I found an article that says Hydrogen powered trucks will be tested later this year hear in Oz,I attempted to show the article but the HH system won’t allow it probably a copywrite issue but I will keep trying.

Dig

The bloke here is prone to exaggeration, he reckons they are in full use on a lot of trucks in Oz, I think I trust you more than him :wink:
The man who thinks they are not as good as made out says there is a long way to go before the hydrogen can be made in quantity wthout producing CO2 and also, again if widely, used the heated water vapour would add more to global warming.
There is no such thing as a free lunch. :wink: :slight_smile:

Are those tests on heavy trucks Dig, or just on the light vans as Renault are doing here?

BTW, I do agree with you on the point loading of that reel of NMM’s, a very good test of a trailer’s metal, in more ways than one. :slight_smile:

@NMM, before I semi-retired from the long distance stuff I really lusted after that ally exterior visor of yours. Although I always drive with the internal visors down, the heat and glare coming through raked screens is really bad. My idea was to have twin spots set in it too, headlights set correctly for dip, simply do not cut it on high beam on country roads. :cry:

David I managed to get this picture/ photo of the maybe Hydrogen road train.
Don’t think you will need a sun vizor it appears to be permanately in the shade :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Dig

DIG:

Spardo:

DIG:
I only got it a bit wrong it makes water not uses it,the good news is I found an article that says Hydrogen powered trucks will be tested later this year hear in Oz,I attempted to show the article but the HH system won’t allow it probably a copywrite issue but I will keep trying.

Dig

The bloke here is prone to exaggeration, he reckons they are in full use on a lot of trucks in Oz, I think I trust you more than him :wink:
The man who thinks they are not as good as made out says there is a long way to go before the hydrogen can be made in quantity wthout producing CO2 and also, again if widely, used the heated water vapour would add more to global warming.

Are those tests on heavy trucks Dig, or just on the light vans as Renault are doing here?

BTW, I do agree with you on the point loading of that reel of NMM’s, a very good test of a trailer’s metal, in more ways than one. :slight_smile:

@NMM, before I semi-retired from the long distance stuff I really lusted after that ally exterior visor of yours. Although I always drive with the internal visors down, the heat and glare coming through raked screens is really bad. My idea was to have twin spots set in it too, headlights set correctly for dip, simply do not cut it on high beam on country roads. :cry:

Don’t think you will need a sun vizor it appears to be permanately in the shade :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Dig

Thanks Dig, that’s a great picture, I’ll copy it and post it elsewhere, despite giving a blowhard a chance to blow harder. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

DIG:

newmercman:

pv83:

newmercman:
I did do something different actually, not very interesting as it was a only reel of rubber conveyor belt, but it was a 36,000kg reel, so a bit out of the ordinary. I loaded it in the Port of Tacoma and delivered it via Vancouver to Edmonton for onward delivery to the Oil Sands in Fort McKay, Alberta. The chap in the crane put it exactly where I wanted it first time and when I ran it over the scale it was nicely balanced with just over a hundred kgs difference between my trailer axles and the drive axles plus jeep, that’s always a good start to the week.

With such a weight, does that mean you’re back on the old national roads again instead of using the Interstate network?

Not this time, I came out of the port straight onto the Interstate, then took the most direct route to the delivery. No restrictions at all on this one and that makes a big change.

Belting rolls of that weight really test the trailers calibre NMM I see the outer bases are quite short on that roll frame we used to put timbers under the belt roll to spread the load as much as possible down the main frame rails,some of our country roads have a lot of camber and that would have you taking a firm grip on the seat as well as the steering wheel. :laughing: :laughing:
Dig

NMM this is the type of floats I worked with,in the 1980s we were using units with wire rope suspensions,I have tried with no success to find a photo or drawing of one but I will keep trying they worked well on in field rig moves we put some ungodly weights on them with no problems.
Dig

newmercman:
They look the business those big Mercs. Do they still run a big V8 or have they gone inline 6 like the rest of the range?

Dig, my trailer is rated for 55ton in 12’ of deck, so it can handle the reels easily, it had a fair amount of bend in it though, I drop all the air when loading and unloading of course and it drops or raises a good few inches with that weight, but no more than it would with something on tracks at similar weight .

Cheers Rob, Mar-Train always seems to have a immaculate fleet! Years ago I had to take over a load from one of their drivers, the old bill pulled him off and measured him, he was too high by just 8cm… so instead of 4m he was 4.08… Can’t blame the (German) coppers though, they were only doing their job.

Far as I know it’s all 6 inline nowadays at MB NMM, pity really, as I always liked the sound of the V8’s. Maybe CF can explain why they’ve opted to axe the V engines :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

pv83:

Punchy Dan:

pv83:
Some more pic’s of the Bowler fleet.

That W reg is for sale on eBay in Devon .

Wouldn’t that fit in nicely with the current Punchard fleet? :wink:

Would need a rear end transplant ,2 yrs we’d have it like new :wink:

Hurry up then Dan :laughing:

Spardo:

DIG:

Spardo:

DIG:

Dig

Dig

Thanks Dig, that’s a great picture, I’ll copy it and post it elsewhere, despite giving a blowhard a chance to blow harder. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Meanwhile at Nikola’s… bbc.com/news/technology-54161343

Nice bit of plant there Dig, I’d be very interested to see a picture of that suspension set up, never heard of anything like that before.

Patrick, I’ve got Carryfast ■■■■■■■ on his Donald Stokes love fest at the moment, hopefully that’ll keep him from infesting this fine thread.

newmercman:
Nice bit of plant there Dig, I’d be very interested to see a picture of that suspension set up, never heard of anything like that before.

Patrick, I’ve got Carryfast ■■■■■■■ on his Donald Stokes love fest at the moment, hopefully that’ll keep him from infesting this fine thread.

NNM the company that manufactured and still does here in Perth WA is called Boomerang Engineering the wire/cable suspension floats are rated up to 350tons ,there are no photos on their website although they still advertise that type of unit so I will call in next time I.m in town but don’t hold your breath as it could be a while .
Cheers Dig

Nice one, I’ll try and be patient [emoji3]

newmercman:

Fingers crossed mate, although I must admit that I’m surprised that he’s never been on here before, spouting his usual “tips and tricks” and telling us all that we do the job wrong :wink:

DIG:

newmercman:

NNM the company that manufactured and still does here in Perth WA is called Boomerang Engineering the wire/cable suspension floats are rated up to 350tons ,there are no photos on their website although they still advertise that type of unit so I will call in next time I.m in town but don’t hold your breath as it could be a while .
Cheers Dig

boomerangengineering.com.au/about-us/

They make some impressive stuff DIG, I am however a bit puzzled by how that suspension works, I did found an article about something simular, but that was fitted on a off-road campervan. Not sure if the basics are the same?

This looks quite impressive! This could be your next noble steed DIG, being a road train and all… :wink:

Going back a few years…

pv83:
This looks quite impressive! This could be your next noble steed DIG, being a road train and all… :wink:

Boss I regret I don’t know what make it is plus its way out of my league probably got an auto box I would be more interested in this unit a steal at $4000 except for the possibility the brakes may be a little inadequate although I knew a fleet operator when asked by a driver if the brakes could be fixed on his truck replied “we don’t need brakes we are a go ahead outfit”. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dig

pv83:

DIG:

newmercman:

Cheers Dig

They make some impressive stuff DIG, I am however a bit puzzled by how that suspension works, I did found an article about something simular, but that was fitted on a off-road campervan. Not sure if the basics are the same?

Boomerang Engineering videos
google.com/search?q=BOOMERA … A3oECAEQAw
They are also on Facebook with photos
Oily

oiltreader:

pv83:

DIG:

newmercman:

Cheers Dig

Boomerang Engineering videos
google.com/search?q=BOOMERA … A3oECAEQAw
They are also on Facebook with photos
Oily

Ta Oily :wink:

DIG:

pv83:

Boss I regret I don’t know what make it is plus its way out of my league probably got an auto box I would be more interested in this unit a steal at $4000 except for the possibility the brakes may be a little inadequate although I knew a fleet operator when asked by a driver if the brakes could be fixed on his truck replied “we don’t need brakes we are a go ahead outfit”. :wink: :wink: :wink: 0
Dig

:laughing: :laughing:

Does anyone recognise this unit? NMP

Merc’s… it seems to be a Marmite thing, but although I’m not fond of Marmite, I do like to see a Merc pulling a heavy load, especially if it’s one of the NG or SK range.