"Heavy Haulage through the years"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No HGV needed either, what’s not to like! :laughing: A local chap has one, his is Leyland powered I think though. Dan will know, he knows everything! :wink:

Pete.

DEANB:
Patrick, time to get the cheque book out chap. This would look nice on your drive way. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Hear Hear :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Dig

windrush:

No HGV needed either, what’s not to like! :laughing: A local chap has one, his is Leyland powered I think though. Dan will know, he knows everything! :wink:

Pete.

Wheres the photos Pete ■■? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That one is Rolls Royce powered chap althpugh the Leyland one was also available like you say. :wink:

DEANB:
John Silbermann doing a bit back in 1958.

Click on pages twice to read.

Nice nostalgic article Dean, cheers :wink:

turbo ted:
Somersby NSW

Impressive kit, looks like a Hitachi 1200 base machine?

oiltreader:
Campbell’s Mack at Port Adelaide No 6 Container Berth.
Oily

Ta Oily :wink:

DIG:

DEANB:
Patrick, time to get the cheque book out chap. This would look nice on your drive way. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Hear Hear :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Dig

Don’t think the neighbours are going to be all that chuffed if I pull up in that! If only I had the money… :wink:

windrush:

Pete.

Well, in that case, I reckon the most experienced and retired ones on here should buy it, as they made quite the fortune when they were driving! :laughing: :laughing: And no HGV license needed, what’s not to like eh!

DIG:

Froggy55:
Great stuff again there! Why is gear synchronising needed, when all these giants are fitted with torque converters and automatic gearboxes?

Well done Deano another highly interesting article I.m not familiar with auto side of truck driving but I assume the synchronising would come into use when the operator goes to manual lockup on a ratio as getting it wrong by a hundred rpm say might end up with a rather large expensive noise coming from the transmission,just my thoughts but like Froggy i would be interested to know.
Very pleasing to read is the companies foresight into employing young people to learn the trade of the heavy lift industry as the new generation of operators when their existing ageing operators retire.

Dig

Very interesting article Dean, cheers!

I reckon you’re on the ball there DIG regarding the auto boxes in combination with the torque converters, I’ll see if I can dig up some technical details about that. On another note… has anyone ever heard or seen these ■■■■■■■ V28 engines■■?

Bowler’s from Stockport had some Fodens in the fleet, not sure if they still got some left.

Diamond T courtesy of Andrew Breeden.
Oily

A few good articles there Dean, cheers for taking the time to dig them out. Nothing new or interesting from me I’m afraid, just the usual but less as it’s gone quiet here.

One thing I can’t remember seeing here are Russian heavy hauls, I know photography was frowned upon in Soviet days, but they must have had some big moves going on with their make everything themselves policies.

I did do something different actually, not very interesting as it was a only reel of rubber conveyor belt, but it was a 36,000kg reel, so a bit out of the ordinary. I loaded it in the Port of Tacoma and delivered it via Vancouver to Edmonton for onward delivery to the Oil Sands in Fort McKay, Alberta. The chap in the crane put it exactly where I wanted it first time and when I ran it over the scale it was nicely balanced with just over a hundred kgs difference between my trailer axles and the drive axles plus jeep, that’s always a good start to the week.

I reckon you’re on the ball there DIG regarding the auto boxes in combination with the torque converters, I’ll see if I can dig up some technical details about that. On another note… has anyone ever heard or seen these ■■■■■■■ V28 engines■■?
[/quote]
Patrick I was interested myself in the V28 engines its a bit hard to imagine an engine with 14cylinders per bank anyhow it appears the engine in question is a ■■■■■■■ VTA 28 series engine actually designed as a Genset unit but so was the K 19s and I know the 19 stands for litres and did a good job when fitted in a truck chassis so I.m thinking the 28series stands for 28litres and it is actually a twin turbo after cooled V12 rated from 690Hp to 810hp 2000 foot lbs of torque .
6 or 8 of them should do the job ok it and would look good in that Scammell your considering as a toy.
Cheers Dig

vta28-spec-sheet-image.jpg

DIG:

Patrick I was interested myself in the V28 engines its a bit hard to imagine an engine with 14cylinders per bank anyhow it appears the engine in question is a ■■■■■■■ VTA 28 series engine actually designed as a Genset unit but so was the K 19s and I know the 19 stands for litres and did a good job when fitted in a truck chassis so I.m thinking the 28series stands for 28litres and it is actually a twin turbo after cooled V12 rated from 690Hp to 810hp 2000 foot lbs of torque .
6 or 8 of them should do the job ok it and would look good in that Scammell your considering as a toy.
Cheers Dig

While you’re here Dig, and I have found the above interesting, could I ask a question of local (to you) knowledge?

A bloke on a forum here keeps banging on about hydrogen engines, and, although he has been contradicted, maintains that they are non-polluting.

But, he also says that they have been fitted in many trucks in Australia. Any comment to that? :slight_smile:

DIG:

Cheers Dig
[/quote]
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Did some searching too DIG, impressive engine, although a bit unusual to be found under the bonnet of a lorry I reckon. Not sure if the old Scammell could cope with so much torque mate :laughing:

Spardo:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

While you’re here Dig, and I have found the above interesting, could I ask a question of local (to you) knowledge?

A bloke on a forum here keeps banging on about hydrogen engines, and, although he has been contradicted, maintains that they are non-polluting.

But, he also says that they have been fitted in many trucks in Australia. Any comment to that? :slight_smile:

Have you been reading CF’s fantasy stories again Spardo? :laughing:

oiltreader:
Diamond T courtesy of Andrew Breeden.
Oily

How many models of the T did they built? As I always thought it was just the one model, made famous during it’s service during WWII?

newmercman:
A few good articles there Dean, cheers for taking the time to dig them out. Nothing new or interesting from me I’m afraid, just the usual but less as it’s gone quiet here.

One thing I can’t remember seeing here are Russian heavy hauls, I know photography was frowned upon in Soviet days, but they must have had some big moves going on with their make everything themselves policies.

They did NMM, but as you say, not much of those moves were caught on camera… I’ll see if I can dig something up from the old shoe box collection :wink:

newmercman:
I did do something different actually, not very interesting as it was a only reel of rubber conveyor belt, but it was a 36,000kg reel, so a bit out of the ordinary. I loaded it in the Port of Tacoma and delivered it via Vancouver to Edmonton for onward delivery to the Oil Sands in Fort McKay, Alberta. The chap in the crane put it exactly where I wanted it first time and when I ran it over the scale it was nicely balanced with just over a hundred kgs difference between my trailer axles and the drive axles plus jeep, that’s always a good start to the week.

With such a weight, does that mean you’re back on the old national roads again instead of using the Interstate network?