"Heavy Haulage through the years"

pv83:
Somewhere in the article Dean has posted (ta mate :wink: ) it says that the drive train could cope with 90.000 up to 130.000lbs, in normal language that would mean 40 to 58t! Impressive indeed, bearing in mind that they drove on those dirt tracks all the time…

In France, timber outfits are presently allowed 52 tonnes gross weight on 6 axles or more. They must have flashing lights at the rear and, I think, shouldn’t exceed 60 kph if over 44 tonnes.

Froggy55:

pv83:
Somewhere in the article Dean has posted (ta mate :wink: ) it says that the drive train could cope with 90.000 up to 130.000lbs, in normal language that would mean 40 to 58t! Impressive indeed, bearing in mind that they drove on those dirt tracks all the time…

In France, timber outfits are presently allowed 52 tonnes gross weight on 6 axles or more. They must have flashing lights at the rear and, I think, shouldn’t exceed 60 kph if over 44 tonnes.

But in practice most of them have the flashers, don’t they Froggy? Even the lighter ones on 5, but I think it is more because they are often parked in dangerous spots on minor roads while loading.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like some sort of gun to me ? :unamused:

What about the truck ■■ The mud guards are throwing me a bit as flat on top rather than rounded.

If i had to guess i would say Mol or Faun but probably totally wrong ? :laughing:

Does anyone know the make of this odd looking one that Patrick posted ?

Hi all! Good to see so many nice pics on here! Here are last weeks last load. Stockholm to the South of sweden with two crushers and a digger.

Danne

86815C6D-AF24-457A-A823-3C0903C2F5CF.jpeg

QUOTE: Combi89 » Sunday,15th March, 2020 7:26 pm

Photograph. UNQUOTE.

QUOTE: DEANB » Thursday,19th March, 2020 6:36 pm

Combi89 wrote:
The attachment Nico-0263A.JPG is no longer available

“Combi89” Thats an intresting photo,do you know the make of the tractor unit ■■ UNQUOTE.

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Heavy Haulage Through The Years .Pages 143-147. Mystery Lorries .
Sunday,5th April,2020. VALKYRIE
Euclid 802B,4x2,Heavy Haulage Ballast Diesel Road Locomotive.Originally a 48-tons capacity articulated dumptruck.TNUK,OTL-Heavy Haulage THY,143.3-2020 Combi89 4#

.Euclid 802B,4x2,Heavy Haulage Ballast Diesel Road Locomotive.Originally a 48-tons capacity articulated dumptruck.TNUK,OTL-Heavy Haulage THY,143.3-2020 Combi89 4#.JPG

Euclid 802B,4x2,Heavy Haulage Ballast Diesel Road Locomotive.Originally a 48-tons capacity articulated dumptruck.TNUK,OTL-Heavy Haulage THY,143.3-2020 Combi89 8#

.Euclid 802B,4x2,Heavy Haulage Ballast Diesel Road Locomotive.Originally a 48-tons capacity articulated dumptruck.TNUK,OTL-Heavy Haulage THY,143.3-2020 Combi89 8#.PNG

QUOTE: DEANB Photograph UNQUOTE

Looks like some sort of gun to me ? :unamused:

What about the truck ■■ The mud guards are throwing me a bit as flat on top rather than rounded.

If i had to guess i would say Mol or Faun but probably totally wrong ? :laughing:

Scania-Vabis LA82 Myrsloken=Anteater,6x6,Tractive Unit-Gun Loaded-Bodied,Articulated Lowloader Lorry,1958-1959,prototype,or 1960-1962,production.Swedish Military.TNUK,OTL-Heavy Haulage THY,147.4-2020.DEANB 3#

Two prototypes had straight eight-cylinder diesel engines,had a few applications including Heavy Recovery
Vehicle=HRV and bridge laying vehicle.Ltgb 957 and Brotgb 9572AMT are two more designation for this
lorry.Scania DS10,10.3-Litre,IL6-Cylinder,220 BHP Diesel Engine.

QUOTE:DEANB

Does anyone know the make of this odd looking one that Patrick posted ? UNQUOTE.

Mack NM 6x6 Heavy Haulage Ballast Diesel or Petrol Road Locomotive,Nico Neman,Rotterdam.TNUK,OTL-Heavy Haulage THY,147.4-2020.DEANB 3#

World War Two 1939-1945 ex-military Mack NM of the Allied Forces,powered either by its original
petrol-gasoline engine or re-engined with a diesel-oil engine.
I’ve noticed in this thread that a lot of World War Two and Post War ex-military vehicles were employed
as heavy haulage tractive units and heavy haulage ballast road locomotives.

VALKYRIE

Spardo:

Froggy55:

pv83:

But in practice most of them have the flashers, don’t they Froggy? Even the lighter ones on 5, but I think it is more because they are often parked in dangerous spots on minor roads while loading.

Do they apply to the same CAT1 rules as I do? This being in France it wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve made up a whole different system for timber transport, but CAT1 allows one to use the autoroute at 48t with a max.speed of 80km/h and a max. length of 20m

Spardo:

Spardo:
Thank you for that interesting infornmation, David. It did seem strange that throughout that article they only referred to him as Mr. Goodfellow, and no mention of a partner. Never known a Kay with an ‘e’ before though. :laughing:

Thanks too for the good wishes, we are ok at the moment, hunkered down with only 2 outings a week to the shops and market, but I can get out with the dog, and on my new trike

damius.com/en/evasion-elect … cycle.html

for one hour a day within a 1 km radius. As we are out in the wilds it is not difficult keeping to the law. :slight_smile:

We hear all about Spain and Italy here (in fact I got out of Italy with 2 dogs just before the virus hit there) but nothing at all about Portugal. I hope that means it is not so serious there. You stay safe too. :wink: :slight_smile:

pv83:
You’ll certainly going to impress the ladies with that trike David! :laughing: :laughing:

You should see me go, on crossing the line into the next village I set the speed camera off, dead on 20km/hr, smack on the limiter, top gear ( of 7) and max power on the assist (5 of 5). A bit hairyer downhill though, flying at 30, gilet jaune flapping in the slipstream and no retarder, just the disc brakes. :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Rocket man!!!

ERF-NGC-European:

5thwheel:

pv83:
Spanish ERF. Were they exported to Spain, or was there a assembly shop in Spain at the time?

I notice the Spanish ERF is right hand drive.

David

There was a lot of discussion recently about this Barcelona trams ERF on Pages 33, 34 onwards on this very thread, in which pv83 takes a significant part! :wink: Ro

It completely slipped my mind Robert, honestly :blush:

Dirty Dan:
Hi all! Good to see so many nice pics on here! Here are last weeks last load. Stockholm to the South of sweden with two crushers and a digger.

Danne

Looking tidy as usual Danne :wink:

How’s the weather there, I assume the winterperiod is over?

Another bit of fantastic “detective” work there VALKYRIE, cheers :wink:

I would never have expected that the “gun wagon” was a Scania Vabis, as Froggy55 pointed out, it has got a bit of a American sort of styling to it, but then again, as Dean said, it looks like something that could have come out of the MOL workshops too…

You’re on the ball regarding that a lot of ex-WWII material was used for heavy haulage operations, it was the backbone for many a company back in those days, whether it was a Diamond T, a Pacific or something else, it was readily available and it was proven that they were solid machines and with some minor adjustments (home build cab, diesel engine) they kept on going until the industry had a fitting answer.
Same goes for the trailers, how many firms used Roger tank trailers to haul all sorts of heavy and oversized stuff, or indeed made trailers themself.

Just look at Wynns for example, they probably were the ones that used their rebuild Pacific’s as long as they could…?

pv83:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

Looking tidy as usual Danne :wink:

How’s the weather there, I assume the winterperiod is over?

Thanks mate! Well we never had any real winter yet this year. But there were some snow and slippery roads this friday.

AF9782CC-0C7D-497C-8426-ABD01AF0DF91.jpeg

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:

5thwheel:

pv83:
Spanish ERF. Were they exported to Spain, or was there a assembly shop in Spain at the time?

I notice the Spanish ERF is right hand drive.

David

There was a lot of discussion recently about this Barcelona trams ERF on Pages 33, 34 onwards on this very thread, in which pv83 takes a significant part! :wink: Ro

It completely slipped my mind Robert, honestly :blush:

Senior moment there! :laughing: I won’t admit how long it took me to work out which thread you’d posted that stuff on! :blush:

Stay safe! Ro

VALKYRIE:

VALKYRIE

Excellent work. That’s post of the week, up there^^^.

Can anyone identify the coachbuilder responsible for the cab on the Mack?

For the record, I reckon that’s a Nyström cab on the Vabis.

[zb]
anorak:

VALKYRIE:

VALKYRIE

Excellent work. That’s post of the week, up there^^^.

Can anyone identify the coachbuilder responsible for the cab on the Mack?

For the record, I reckon that’s a Nyström cab on the Vabis.

Mack cab reminiscent of old bonneted F8 MAN (picture below taken by me in Manavgat in Turkey 1998). Ro

pv83:

I would never have expected that the “gun wagon” was a Scania Vabis, as Froggy55 pointed out, it has got a bit of a American sort of styling to it, but then again, as Dean said, it looks like something that could have come out of the MOL workshops too…

You’re on the ball regarding that a lot of ex-WWII material was used for heavy haulage operations, it was the backbone for many a company back in those days, whether it was a Diamond T, a Pacific or something else, it was readily available and it was proven that they were solid machines and with some minor adjustments (home build cab, diesel engine) they kept on going until the industry had a fitting answer.
Same goes for the trailers, how many firms used Roger tank trailers to haul all sorts of heavy and oversized stuff, or indeed made trailers themself.

Just look at Wynns for example, they probably were the ones that used their rebuild Pacific’s as long as they could…?

I agree thats impressive VALKYRIE to get all three of those ! It would have been good to name one of them. Would never have even
considered Scania. :wink:

Talking of Wynn’s Pacific’s Patrick here’s a bit from 1988. :wink:

Click on pages twice.

Spardo:

They do have the flashers, but are always over 60 kph.

pv83:
A big shout out to everyone keeping this thread going during my absence :wink: And for once, not too much drivel was posted…ahum I’ll get me coat…

I’ll take the hint…

jsutherland:

pv83:
A big shout out to everyone keeping this thread going during my absence :wink: And for once, not too much drivel was posted…ahum I’ll get me coat…

I’ll take the hint…

I was more “hinting” at Spardo and his “tales of the road” aka “how I impressed the birds with my new trike, doing 20mph flat out” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Froggy55:

Spardo:

They do have the flashers, but are always over 60 kph.

bioenergie-promotion.fr/126 … bois-rond/

I’ve found some information Paul, hope this is of any help?

DEANB:

pv83:

I agree thats impressive VALKYRIE to get all three of those ! It would have been good to name one of them. Would never have even
considered Scania. :wink:

Talking of Wynn’s Pacific’s Patrick here’s a bit from 1988. :wink:

Click on pages twice.

Cheers Dean :wink: