"Heavy Haulage through the years"

pv83:

Many interesting pictures this morning! Any idea of the make of 6x4 tractor of Pic 4? Could it be a Scania with a special Dutch cab?

Well done Patrick on 100 pages !!! :smiley:

DIG:
That last pic with the single drive ballast tractors although they could be 4 wheel drive but I wouldn’t want to be in one going down hill with that load pushing.

Heres some more of our rig and road building days photos supplied by Mick who was the driver of the sub base on the low loader,just a tad oversize.

Cheers Dig

Great pics Dig,keep them Aussi ones coming chap. :wink:

Australia 1965.

Click on pic twice to read.

DIG:

pv83:

jsutherland:
Congratulations on reaching the 100 pages Patrick. A great achievement.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

DISPATCHER:
100 great pages

Cheers gents! Couldn’t have done it without your help and the help of the usual “suspects” though, it’s a team effort reaching the 100 page mark far as I’m concerned :wink:

A well deserved century Patrick. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers Dig.

Ta mate… I’m not showing my age already eh :wink: I’ll get me coat…

DEANB:
Well done Patrick on 100 pages !!! :smiley:

Cheers mate, but let’s not forget who got the ball rolling :wink:

Froggy55:

pv83:

Many interesting pictures this morning! Any idea of the make of 6x4 tractor of Pic 4? Could it be a Scania with a special Dutch cab?

You mean this one Froggy? It is a Dutch build cab, but I’m not sure if the rest is Swedish though… maybe Anorak can shed a light on it?

DIG:
That last pic with the single drive ballast tractors although they could be 4 wheel drive but I wouldn’t want to be in one going down hill with that load pushing.

Heres some more of our rig and road building days photos supplied by Mick who was the driver of the sub base on the low loader,just a tad oversize.

Cheers Dig

How wide was that DIG? No marker boards needed down under…? :laughing:

Morning Patrick,
(NMP)Was this your motor? Have a look on South Wales page mate, Mr Cooper has put a couple of pics on that are right up your street!

pete smith:
Morning Patrick,
(NMP)Was this your motor? Have a look on South Wales page mate, Mr Cooper has put a couple of pics on that are right up your street!

'Morning Pete,

Nah mate, wasn’t mine, it’s short on a couple of axles… reckon our mutual friend known as Herr Sutherland will claim he drove it though… and he’s got the t-shirt to prove it! :laughing:

Lots of well used ex- Vlist wagons seem to end up in Africa for some reason…

pv83:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

It was an infield shift Patrick,our system in those shifts was to transport the rigs with as little dismantling as possible this meant less downtime for the drilling company and a better pay rate for us in transport. Oversize placards orange flashing lights and ■■■■■■ vehicles were/are used for highway moves.

Dig

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

Australia 1965.

Thanks Deano
The Leyland Buffalo 300hp supercharged Albion engine.

Dig

pv83:

Froggy55:

pv83:

You mean this one Froggy? It is a Dutch build cab, but I’m not sure if the rest is Swedish though… maybe Anorak can shed a light on it?

That’s it indeed. Scania or perhaps DAF?

DIG:

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

Australia 1965.

Thanks Deano

Dig

A supercharged Albion engine? Never knew that existed… how reliable was such a power unit?

DIG:

pv83:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

It was an infield shift Patrick,our system in those shifts was to transport the rigs with as little dismantling as possible this meant less downtime for the drilling company and a better pay rate for us in transport. Oversize placards orange flashing lights and ■■■■■■ vehicles were/are used for highway moves.

Dig

Ta for the info DIG, makes sense, when we did on-site movings, we didn’t bother either with markings and all that malarkey, just cracked on as fast as we could, we did had to chain it down though for some reason… :wink:

Froggy55:

pv83:

Froggy55:

pv83:

That’s it indeed. Scania or perhaps DAF?

One of my little spies told me it was a Volvo chassis…? Can’t confirm 100% though…

Various.
Oily

Heavy Haul eastleighbusman 45148121241_24528e64b3elbm _k.jpg

Heavy Haul eastleighbusman 31730908287_744f46acd6_elbm k.jpg

Heavy Haul Dutch cr FaceMePLS cc by 2.036352765903_f261847a19_FMPLS k.jpg

Heavy Haul cr TRUCKPR cc by nc nd 2.0 15207500691_72eb409857_TPR o.jpg

oiltreader:
Various.
Oily

Cheers Oily :wink:

Is that Kenworth fitted with mud chains?

pv83:

DIG:

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

Australia 1965.

Thanks Deano

Dig

A supercharged Albion engine? Never knew that existed… how reliable was such a power unit?

Patrick that Albion engine was called the Leyland 900 it was fitted to some export Buffalos and some Scammells in the uk market and railway locos.I.m not sure about the 300hp but it was suggested it was capable.

Cheers Dig

In case you blokes lose the use of your indicators heres how to carry on.

Dig

DIG:
In case you blokes lose the use of your indicators heres how to carry on.

Dig

When I drove a light truck in Sydney it had a metal bar pivotted on a bracket fixed to the lower edge of the window opening. It was weighted to normally hang vertically but, when about to turn right you grabbed the handle at the top and pulled down thus swinging the lower part of the bar, which had a large metal hand on it, outwards to 90 degrees.

This told everybody what you were about to do but also had the pleasing bonus of almost decapitating any cyclists brave enough to overtake in slow moving traffic. :laughing: