"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Spardo:

pv83:
We did the same thing sometimes if we had to manoeuvre in tight places, it’s better to steer and you’ve got more visual overview Spardo.

Yes, I see that with that kind of a trailer, the reason I forbade all my drivers to ‘nose in’ a drag was because we had full height bodies and not only was there not an overview, without mirrors facing forwards, there was no bloody view at all. :laughing:

I wasn’t being super critical of that driver, just thought it strange that an expert ‘drag artist’ would go to the trouble of changing round. In addition, reference Grandad’s experience, I would not have been comfortable with being so close to the ‘action’.

But, as I said to DIG, different times, without power steering or modern mirrors, not quite the same equation. :slight_smile:

No view at all… Just hoping for the best then eh :laughing: :laughing:

And your remark about the “drag artist”… that’s just something a certain Herr Sutherland is more than willing to share his views on that with us… doesn’t mean it’s got owt to do with lorries though… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I’ll get me coat…

Right, shoe box time :wink:

34198904_10209462887288955_5503477978203422720_n.jpg

35026463_10209509669458480_3191455056511631360_n.jpg

35151279_10209509669538482_59651465039314944_n.jpg

38838055_2258965967682933_1655473604982210560_n.jpg

pv83:

Spardo:

pv83:
We did the same thing sometimes if we had to manoeuvre in tight places, it’s better to steer and you’ve got more visual overview Spardo.

Yes, I see that with that kind of a trailer, the reason I forbade all my drivers to ‘nose in’ a drag was because we had full height bodies and not only was there not an overview, without mirrors facing forwards, there was no bloody view at all. [emoji38]

I wasn’t being super critical of that driver, just thought it strange that an expert ‘drag artist’ would go to the trouble of changing round. In addition, reference Grandad’s experience, I would not have been comfortable with being so close to the ‘action’.

But, as I said to DIG, different times, without power steering or modern mirrors, not quite the same equation. :slight_smile:

No view at all… Just hoping for the best then eh [emoji38] [emoji38]

And your remark about the “drag artist”… that’s just something a certain Herr Sutherland is more than willing to share his views on that with us… doesn’t mean it’s got owt to do with lorries though… :unamused: [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] I’ll get me coat…

Oh Patrick, some friend you are outing me again!!

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

pv83:
Right, shoe box time :wink:

Great pictures!

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

pv83:

DIG:
The Cook/camera person and I have been on a 10 day round trip to the North of WA via what I call the middle road mainly gravel and little traffic,we only saw 3 road trains 2 with stock crates and the other with fuel tankers all would have been servicing stations and outback communities and possibly 40 others tourist vehicles regrettably no pics except for the one below which was a Haul Pak which was in the middle of nowhere I recall hearing that several of these units were travelling from from one mine to another and the tight asses decided to drive them rather than freight them anyhow this one failed,it must have been pretty terminal to leave it to rust/rot get pilfered away.

Cheers Dig

Bit of a pity to leave it behind just like that eh… Looks like a Euclid…?
Interesting campervan you’ve got there DIG, is that based upon a LandRover chassis?

Cheers, Patrick

Patrick a top selection of old timers I was looking at the weights that went on less than half the axles thats required these days and on old rag tyres tube type.
I think your right with the make and I have been trying to work out where the dump truck had come from and could only assume its the Mt Newman iron ore mine,for the trucks to have driven up the Hwy [yellow line] and then turned east at a place called Munjina the road from there travelled through a gorge called Rio Tinta gorge and in the time that this took place I believe they would have been to wide for the track through the gorge so they went south from Newman and picked up the Meekatharra Nanutarra track which was the track I found it on and from that place by road it was 170odd kms to Tom Price probably better than 400 to Mt Newman.
I have taken a screen shot to try and show you blokes where its at,if you google google earth and put Ashburton Downs in the search box find the track past the station heading northish and the truck is about 15kms from the homestead.The Hammersly range is the barrier between the 2 mines.

The Oka our off rd camper was designed and built here in Perth,there were 480 built they have no relationship in any form other than size to the Land Rover cab over unit,mine is Perkins powered a 5 speed Turner main box and a NP205 transfer box with Dana spicer axles,I have limited slip front and rear about 30 in the club have repowered with ■■■■■■■ 6 BTs.and some auto boxes.
It averaged on this last trip over mainly dirt roads 6.33 km/litre.

Cheers Dig

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 7.49.30 PM.jpg

DIG:

pv83:

DIG:
The Cook/camera person and I have been on a 10 day round trip to the North of WA via what I call the middle road mainly gravel and little traffic,we only saw 3 road trains 2 with stock crates and the other with fuel tankers all would have been servicing stations and outback communities and possibly 40 others tourist vehicles regrettably no pics except for the one below which was a Haul Pak which was in the middle of nowhere I recall hearing that several of these units were travelling from from one mine to another and the tight asses decided to drive them rather than freight them anyhow this one failed,it must have been pretty terminal to leave it to rust/rot get pilfered away.

Cheers Dig

Bit of a pity to leave it behind just like that eh… Looks like a Euclid…?
Interesting campervan you’ve got there DIG, is that based upon a LandRover chassis?

Cheers, Patrick

Patrick a top selection of old timers I was looking at the weights that went on less than half the axles thats required these days and on old rag tyres tube type.
I think your right with the make and I have been trying to work out where the dump truck had come from and could only assume its the Mt Newman iron ore mine,for the trucks to have driven up the Hwy [yellow line] and then turned east at a place called Munjina the road from there travelled through a gorge called Rio Tinta gorge and in the time that this took place I believe they would have been to wide for the track through the gorge so they went south from Newman and picked up the Meekatharra Nanutarra track which was the track I found it on and from that place by road it was 170odd kms to Tom Price probably better than 400 to Mt Newman.
I have taken a screen shot to try and show you blokes where its at,if you google google earth and put Ashburton Downs in the search box find the track past the station heading northish and the truck is about 15kms from the homestead.The Hammersly range is the barrier between the 2 mines.

The Oka our off rd camper was designed and built here in Perth,there were 480 built they have no relationship in any form other than size to the Land Rover cab over unit,mine is Perkins powered a 5 speed Turner main box and a NP205 transfer box with Dana spicer axles,I have limited slip front and rear about 30 in the club have repowered with ■■■■■■■ 6 BTs.and some auto boxes.
It averaged on this last trip over mainly dirt roads 6.33 km/litre.

Cheers Dig

Brilliant stuff Dig, you certainly get about with the “Boss” chap ! Thats some wagon you have there. :laughing: :wink:

You may appreciate this Dig as this fella liked to get about in his bus back in 1965 ! Not in your league going
off road and in the wilderness,but not bad for a motor that has done over 1 million miles. :laughing:

Some good pics Patrick. :smiley:

What did you make of this trailer you posted ! It looks like a logging trailer without the side bars ■■? :unamused:

One for Dig fom 1965.

Click on page twice to view.

jsutherland:

pv83:

Spardo:

pv83:

Yes, I see that with that kind of a trailer, the reason I forbade all my drivers to ‘nose in’ a drag was because we had full height bodies and not only was there not an overview, without mirrors facing forwards, there was no bloody view at all. [emoji38]

No view at all… Just hoping for the best then eh [emoji38] [emoji38]

And your remark about the “drag artist”… that’s just something a certain Herr Sutherland is more than willing to share his views on that with us… doesn’t mean it’s got owt to do with lorries though… :unamused: [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] I’ll get me coat…

Oh Patrick, some friend you are outing me again!!

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

:laughing: :laughing:

Uig ferry port Isle of Skye.
Oily

oiltreader:
Oily

Wow Oily, you sure get around.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

A96 at Inverness complete with steersmen.
Oily

jsutherland:

oiltreader:
Oily

Wow Oily, you sure get around.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Annual trip to the Outer Hebrides Johnny, that was heading there, a week later on the way back at Lochmaddy, North Uist.
Oily

Like the paint jobs Oily very smart.

Patrick I keep coming back to the log on the Bassets what i think is an old International truck what do you reckon weight wise have to be 15tons I reckon how did they get that on there roll it on from one side and hope the bolsters hold imagine doing that today and good old H and S walk round the corner,thy would have to buy a couple of new note books on that one. lol

DeanB we went through Minganew about 3 weeks ago if I had known about the old million miler I would have asked if it was still in town,also that load going to Albany here in WA would have been a tough journey as it would have been dirt across most of the Nullarbor plain and that is just about all limestone country so plenty of rocks, a couple of good captures.

All I can come up with is a quite heavy load I put on in Dampier for Perth a while back now.Not the best of quality the photo I mean.

Cheers Dig

36086978_631342937230916_1153222392835735552_n.jpg

LHH ERF-001.jpgLeicester Heavy Haulage ERF 4MW Reg No GJU 718N turns the corner at the junction between the High Street & Station Road
New Alresford in March 1976.
Nearing the end of it’s journey from a scrap yard in Barry South Wales the locomotive was destined for the Mid-Hants Railway

DIG:
Like the paint jobs Oily very smart.

Patrick I keep coming back to the log on the Bassets what i think is an old International truck what do you reckon weight wise have to be 15tons I reckon how did they get that on there roll it on from one side and hope the bolsters hold imagine doing that today and good old H and S walk round the corner,thy would have to buy a couple of new note books on that one. lol

DeanB we went through Minganew about 3 weeks ago if I had known about the old million miler I would have asked if it was still in town,also that load going to Albany here in WA would have been a tough journey as it would have been dirt across most of the Nullarbor plain and that is just about all limestone country so plenty of rocks, a couple of good captures.

All I can come up with is a quite heavy load I put on in Dampier for Perth a while back now.Not the best of quality the photo I mean.

Cheers Dig

Was thinking the same DIG, seeing the size of that lump I reckon it’s over 20t? No idea how they got that on, maybe whacked it on using a slope of some sort? Got to dig further into that topic I reckon mate…

Cracking pic mate, that’s a Kenworth W900 isn’t it?

oiltreader:
Oily

Cheers Oily, they certainly have got some proper kit eh :wink: