Hauliers around the Ashton in Makerfield area

John West:
Found this photo on FB. ■■■■ Stafford was transport manager at Pritchett’s before I started subbing off them, but left to start his own company, taking a good portion of Pritchett’s work with him. Such is life.

Who drove this?

Eddie Heaton says he applied for a job with them in the early 70s. He says the basic wage was £22 for a 40 hour week. I seem to remember a general drivers’ strike in about 74 for £1.00 an hour basic.

John.

The ERF E14-320 F494ABG, it was the only E series twin steer that NWF ever had it was driven from new by Tom Jensen, viking on here but I haven’t seen him post for ages, I hope he’s OK. The trailer F87 was the only Lamberet on the fleet and whilst it didn’t run rigid with F494 they are certainly best friends.

I have been quite harsh in the past with comments regarding ■■■■■■■ 14 litre fuel consumption but I have to say that Tom returned very respectable high 8s even into the 9s on occasion mainly running to Kraft plants in Namur and Fallingbostel plus the occassional France, but then whatever he drove always did well.

Another of North West Freighters that I found on FB

John

Hi Christine, Welcome to Trucknet. This thread was created by John West, and mentions Pritchetts Transport.
Kind regards, Ray Smyth.