Guy Big-Js on long-haul work

robert1952:

Evening all,

Robert, this subject of aGuy Big Js could develop well as an interesting thread…

“Long Haul”…difficult to seperate the triple shifted versions doing consistent 100000 plus miles per year on UK trunking, from where I think that you are thinking, the handfull used on Moyen Orient type work. There were very many of this basic, simple, lorry that completed astronomic mileages inside the UK. I can remember delivering a paper on UK Hire and Reward Haulage to the French FNTR, Conference , (the French RHA equivelent), and being treated by utter disbelief that in the UK we could operate such intensive operations and keep drivers! The example that I used was J&A Smith of Maddiston, a company that I knew reasonably well from my time in the UK, and whose , (mainly), ■■■■■■■ powered Big Js travelled astronomic mileages…

The Big J in Smiths “International” livery was used along with its 11 sisters mainly to ferry trailers for onward Ro/Ro operation into the Benelux. Some did travel upon European roads without doubt.

The Jim Squib Big J was I think driven by TN UK member Fergie 47, and he must have interesting tales to tell. Certainly he became as famillier with the roads of Italy as I did, (and those interesting passes to get in and out)!.

The Comart Big Js did a fair few European miles, but then so did Clive Smith`s ERFs as well, but again much less in real mileage/kilometerage than many used in the UK "round the clock. Clive, and his father really knew how to take advantage of “new, and innovative” haulage opportunities.

Richards and Wallington Crane Hire were the Birmingham parent of RK Crisp, many of whose lorries sported the Longton Group`s "Night Rider " sleeper cab conversion.I have not seen one of the Longton brochures that you picture for many a long year! Yes they had some big power 335s, but also more mundane 220s. Italy was a regular destination for these Birmingham lorries.

Guy had always had a healthy export market, the Benelux of course, Invincibles, bonneted, as well as Trevor Dudleys iconic cab. But also the humble Vixen.....and Frances SNCF subsidiary, and largest smalls/parcels carrier, Calberson ran many Guys in the 1950s. New Zealand was a strong market, but the real effort went into South Africa, where a strong, (but sadly unprofitable), presence was held. In fact Sydney Guy was so concerned about rival Wolverhamptons lorry and Bus manufacturers Star Motor Company, influence in that market, that it was a key to the eventual purchase of that concern.

Trev H should be able to give real experience of the NFC Big Js used with US spec ■■■■■■■ 370 engines, as he used to drive one…and they sounded superb, but must have been noisy in the cab!

Knight and Riley, the Longton Stoke on Trent Group packaging subsidiary ran over 40 Big J s, (and at least 2 with 240 Gardners), on European operations, all except 5 with Night Rider sleeper cabs. But some of Longton Storage and Transport Big J 180 Gardner day cabs were scheduled to complete over 125000 miles per year.

I wonder what happened to Guys 8x4 ■■■■■■■ 44 to drawbar Earls Court exhibit......it looked fearfully heavy.........designed for intensive operation, as were all of Fallings Parks lorries, when Michael Edwards closed Guy Motors in 61, it, along with Land Rover were the only parts of Leyland to have full order books, and a forward order portfolio…

Yes Guy`s could do big distances…if they were allowed to!

Cheerio for now.

robert1952:
I mentioned lower-end power units earlier on the page and I am aware that we have debated the use of Gardner 8LXB 240bhp units ad infinitum, nay ad nauseam (!) on this forum. But for the record, here is painting of one!

This painting corresponds with info given in the earlier " Gardner 240 Guy" thread as pasted below…

Hi All
I know of 2 x 240 gardner big js

One was based at stockton depot fleet number TD858, the other was Maddiston based fleet number MD910 reg OWG 352M

Regards

Paul Bruce

Saviem:

robert1952:

Evening all,

Robert, this subject of aGuy Big Js could develop well as an interesting thread…

“Long Haul”…difficult to seperate the triple shifted versions doing consistent 100000 plus miles per year on UK trunking, from where I think that you are thinking, the handfull used on Moyen Orient type work. There were very many of this basic, simple, lorry that completed astronomic mileages inside the UK. I can remember delivering a paper on UK Hire and Reward Haulage to the French FNTR, Conference , (the French RHA equivelent), and being treated by utter disbelief that in the UK we could operate such intensive operations and keep drivers! The example that I used was J&A Smith of Maddiston, a company that I knew reasonably well from my time in the UK, and whose , (mainly), ■■■■■■■ powered Big Js travelled astronomic mileages…

The Big J in Smiths “International” livery was used along with its 11 sisters mainly to ferry trailers for onward Ro/Ro operation into the Benelux. Some did travel upon European roads without doubt.

The Jim Squib Big J was I think driven by TN UK member Fergie 47, and he must have interesting tales to tell. Certainly he became as famillier with the roads of Italy as I did, (and those interesting passes to get in and out)!.

The Comart Big Js did a fair few European miles, but then so did Clive Smith`s ERFs as well, but again much less in real mileage/kilometerage than many used in the UK "round the clock. Clive, and his father really knew how to take advantage of “new, and innovative” haulage opportunities.

Richards and Wallington Crane Hire were the Birmingham parent of RK Crisp, many of whose lorries sported the Longton Group`s "Night Rider " sleeper cab conversion.I have not seen one of the Longton brochures that you picture for many a long year! Yes they had some big power 335s, but also more mundane 220s. Italy was a regular destination for these Birmingham lorries.

Guy had always had a healthy export market, the Benelux of course, Invincibles, bonneted, as well as Trevor Dudleys iconic cab. But also the humble Vixen.....and Frances SNCF subsidiary, and largest smalls/parcels carrier, Calberson ran many Guys in the 1950s. New Zealand was a strong market, but the real effort went into South Africa, where a strong, (but sadly unprofitable), presence was held. In fact Sydney Guy was so concerned about rival Wolverhamptons lorry and Bus manufacturers Star Motor Company, influence in that market, that it was a key to the eventual purchase of that concern.

Trev H should be able to give real experience of the NFC Big Js used with US spec ■■■■■■■ 370 engines, as he used to drive one…and they sounded superb, but must have been noisy in the cab!

Knight and Riley, the Longton Stoke on Trent Group packaging subsidiary ran over 40 Big J s, (and at least 2 with 240 Gardners), on European operations, all except 5 with Night Rider sleeper cabs. But some of Longton Storage and Transport Big J 180 Gardner day cabs were scheduled to complete over 125000 miles per year.

I wonder what happened to Guys 8x4 ■■■■■■■ 44 to drawbar Earls Court exhibit......it looked fearfully heavy.........designed for intensive operation, as were all of Fallings Parks lorries, when Michael Edwards closed Guy Motors in 61, it, along with Land Rover were the only parts of Leyland to have full order books, and a forward order portfolio…

Yes Guy`s could do big distances…if they were allowed to!

Cheerio for now.

Many thanks for all that information to fill in the gaps, Saviem. You make a very pertinent point about the difference between long-haul and intensive short-haul. Indeed, I did far, far greater mileage per week on European work than I ever did on North Africa or Middle-East work. I was, however, unashamedly angling at far-flung destinations rather than at high mileage!

Are you able to shed any light on the LHD Big-J exhibited at the 1965 Earls Court motor show? Cheers, Robert

robert1952:
I’m very intrigued with these pictures of a left-hand drive (LHD) version shown at Earls Court as early as 1965. Does anyone know anything about them?

The caption on the top photo says 1964 Earls Court show. That would make sense, because makers usually put next year’s date on show vehicles. 1964 would be about launch time for the Big J, and the Motor Panels cab. Note the wheelarches- they are extended to blend in with the longer cab, but all other long-cab Guys (and Seddons) I have seen had the usual arches. The vehicles shown may have been pre-production ones, with hand-made bits to show them off in a good light to the hundreds of European operators considering buying some fine British engineering. :neutral_face:

The height of the bunk suggests another one below it. For the lower bunk to have been low enough to accommodate its occupant, I guess that those Big J’s were V6 ■■■■■■■ ones, with the lower bonnet. I feel a visit to the CM archives coming on…

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:
I’m very intrigued with these pictures of a left-hand drive (LHD) version shown at Earls Court as early as 1965. Does anyone know anything about them?

The caption on the top photo says 1964 Earls Court show. That would make sense, because makers usually put next year’s date on show vehicles. 1964 would be about launch time for the Big J, and the Motor Panels cab. Note the wheelarches- they are extended to blend in with the longer cab, but all other long-cab Guys (and Seddons) I have seen had the usual arches. The vehicles shown may have been pre-production ones, with hand-made bits to show them off in a good light to the hundreds of European operators considering buying some fine British engineering. :neutral_face:

The height of the bunk suggests another one below it. For the lower bunk to have been low enough to accommodate its occupant, I guess that those Big J’s were V6 ■■■■■■■ ones, with the lower bonnet. I feel a visit to the CM archives coming on…

Thanks for those observations, Anorak. Robert

No mention of LHD or long-haul cabs in the 1964 show issue:
archive.commercialmotor.com/page … r-1964/176

The Big J’s launch is described here:
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -j-chassis
…in which article:
… “Overall width of the cab is 7 ft. 2 in., width over the front wings being 7 ft. 10 in. In standard form bumperto-back-of-cab length is 5 ft. 7.875 in. but a sleeper-cab version 1 ft. 3.25 in. longer is available, this containing two 1-ft. 9-in.-wide bunks…”

The bunks were 21" wide- obviously designed for drivers who had been living on a ration book diet. How does that compare to the sleeping accommodation in the wider Motor Panels cab?

I wonder where the pictures of the sleeper Big J’s above came from?

[zb]
anorak:
No mention of LHD or long-haul cabs in the 1964 show issue:
archive.commercialmotor.com/page … r-1964/176

The Big J’s launch is described here:
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -j-chassis
…in which article:
… “Overall width of the cab is 7 ft. 2 in., width over the front wings being 7 ft. 10 in. In standard form bumperto-back-of-cab length is 5 ft. 7.875 in. but a sleeper-cab version 1 ft. 3.25 in. longer is available, this containing two 1-ft. 9-in.-wide bunks…”

The bunks were 21" wide- obviously designed for drivers who had been living on a ration book diet. How does that compare to the sleeping accommodation in the wider Motor Panels cab?

I wonder where the pictures of the sleeper Big J’s above came from?

Thanks for the research there, Anorak. I never tire of those cutaway drawings - I think I must have become attached to them in the days ‘Swift’ and ‘Eagle’ comics from my youth!

One of the LHD sleeper pics I posted (see below) comes from the current (June) issue of T&D in which there is an article about sleeper cabs over the years. No details about the Guy however. Robert

Scan_20160429 (12).jpg

Definatly a long distance cab

Philip Crouch ran some on European work. ■■■■■■■ engines if I remember right. My Dad ran a non sleeper on a regular run to Paris and they had some with sleepers that went all over Europe.
I do remember one going to Greece running along side a F88 240.
I do have some photos of them but I don’t own the copy right so can’t post them here.

This is one I had Robert , also on an S plate, Locomotors sleeper, for Dines Transport of Bicester, now the interesting thing about Dines is they bought the Big J from the 1974 Motor Show, 250 ■■■■■■■ 10 speed fuller, but parts of the dash were from the Leyland Marathon ie: Dash Vents were round and swiveled, Indicators and wipers were on stalks on the steering column, instead of the big red switch. maybe Jeff Harvey looks in on these pages. Does anyone have any photos of it, It was written off in Belgium in 1978, it was driven by Barry Washbourne.

Dieseldog66:
This is one I had Robert , also on an S plate, Locomotors sleeper, for Dines Transport of Bicester, now the interesting thing about Dines is they bought the Big J from the 1974 Motor Show, 250 ■■■■■■■ 10 speed fuller, but parts of the dash were from the Leyland Marathon ie: Dash Vents were round and swiveled, Indicators and wipers were on stalks on the steering column, instead of the big red switch. maybe Jeff Harvey looks in on these pages. Does anyone have any photos of it, It was written off in Belgium in 1978, it was driven by Barry Washbourne.

Perhaps they were in the process of upgrading them and ended up with a ‘bitsa’! Interesting engine / gearbox combo - it would certainly done the job in its day. Robert

Punchy Dan:

Might have started life as draw-bar outfit. Robert

Bumped up for ‘Anorak’, following discussion on the ERF ‘European’ 1975 thread. :wink: Robert

robert1952:
Bumped up for ‘Anorak’, following discussion on the ERF ‘European’ 1975 thread. :wink: Robert

Thanks for the ‘bump’ because this thread for some reason had passed me by, sadly I don’t have anything relevant to contribute as my days with a Big J (1972/3) were on UK distance work only but very interesting to see that they earned their keep over the water.

Who wouldn’t have preferred a Nightrider cab on a Big J over the Jennings nest-box on a Mk2 Atki that most of us were blessed with?

robert1952:

Dieseldog66:

Perhaps they were in the process of upgrading them and ended up with a ‘bitsa’! Interesting engine / gearbox combo - it would certainly done the job in its day. Robert

I do know Dines Transport did Yugo with there big J’s in the mid 70’s before I started there.

Bumped up for DEANB :wink:

Punchy Dan:

I remember that lorry we fitted the HAP crane on it in the early eighties when I worked for Dunkerley’s at Yate , nr Bristol