Good advice for first job C+E drivers?

I’ve just spent some time reading all the fresh passers first day experiences and naturally nerves are high for the first run on your own and much worrying that you’ll ■■■■ something up :open_mouth:.

As a C+E of a number of years myself, I’d advise that the best ‘break-in’ you could get to driving bendies is an agency trunk run which, given that most trunk runs are done on a night, would be well worth spending 2, 3, 4 weeks on nights to get into the job. You can’t go far wrong picking up a trailer, taking it 30 junctions down the M1 into the central hub, dropping it off, picking up another one and coming straight back again. Okay you’re going to have to reverse it on a bay or in a gap between some other trailers but you’re going to get that wherever you go so best to get straight on with it.

I would also advise trying to find a more ‘senior’ driver before you have to do your reverse and ask for their assistance/advice and tell them it’s your first reverse on your own. I’m 100% sure they’ll be happy to help, just like I’m sure all trucknet members would too. Sometimes the ‘younger generation’ are too impatient when it comes to helping out and hinder you more than help you :confused: (although I’m one of the exception to that ‘younger generation’ :slight_smile: ).

:sunglasses:

I have to disagree with you somewhat their Rob. I felt like a new driver Monday, having been driving a rigid for the last couple of months. I got a lot of trailer shunting in Monday. The best advice I could give would be (apart from if in doub, look and get out and ask) to get yourself a shunters job for a bit, but tell them you’ve got no experience. If they’re that desperate they’ll take you abd maybe you’ll learn a lot from it.

Excuse the spelling, it’s my Friday Night as I’m working Sunday :laughing: :wink: .

Liberace:
I have to disagree with you somewhat their Rob. I felt like a new driver Monday, having been driving a rigid for the last couple of months. I got a lot of trailer shunting in Monday. The best advice I could give would be (apart from if in doub, look and get out and ask) to get yourself a shunters job for a bit, but tell them you’ve got no experience. If they’re that desperate they’ll take you abd maybe you’ll learn a lot from it.

Excuse the spelling, it’s my Friday Night as I’m working Sunday :laughing: :wink: .

I also have to disagree Ian :grimacing:. As a newly qualified class 1 driver, the last job you want to be doing is shunting. :open_mouth:. Maybe after a month or too easing in to and getting used to the work but certainly not at first. The company you’d be shunting for would never get owt done :grimacing: :unamused:

i have to agree with Rob,having passed my class1 in feb this year i started doing night trunking,i go from warrington-hamilton and its been great,there is hardly any traffic and i finish just as the motorway is getting busy.i have a boss who i never hear from unless there is a prob with the truck,and if i am tired,once ive dropped the trailer in hamilton i can sleep for as long as i like.and £10 per hour aswell :smiley: ,really enjoying it.and although the weather can be madder than a box of frogs ,i cant think of a better way to get experience of driving an artic.

When i passed my test the first agency job i took was shunting trailers all night between two yards for woolworths, and in the 2 months i did it i got about 2 years worth of reversing experience in.
Fair enough a nice little trunk to help you get the feel of the truck, but 1 or 2 nighs will do that, i dont see how doing this kind of work as a new driver is in any way going to benefit you more than the next job.
Just my opinion of course.

Have just finished my first week driving class1 on my own.
Drive was from depot to same RDC each day down motorway.
Absolutely the best way to gain confidence and reversing onto bays
at an RDC were other drivers are ready to help.
I am even thinking of going for a trunking job nearer to home
to continue gaining experience.
p.s drove a new 04 reg Scania V8 480 topline on wednesday
verdict : just another truck.Give me the Man TGA 410 that i drive
most days.

My advice is this - based on mistakes I 've made.

1. TAKE YOUR TIME, don’t try and pretend you’ve got twenty years experience.
  2. Don’t be afraid to park up outside the place you’re going into, have a walk in and decide the best way to get in, where to turn etc. If anyone questions you tell them your new and are being careful. I personally would respect anyone who said this and would probably go out of my way to help.

well my advice would be;

1. try not to panic and get stressed out, as this really does not help you at all ( i know cause i did this first night on my own and had to reverse on a scissor lift, but 20 mins later and 2 cups of coffee :laughing: and 20 ■■■■ :open_mouth: and havin calmed down…bang straight onto scissor lift first attempt!! :sunglasses: )

2. look at every situation before you make a difficult manouvere and forward plan what you are going to do and how you are going to do it

3. never be afraid to ask another driver for advice, in four weeks of driving bendy’s i have not met a driver not willing to help me out.

4. when reversing if in doubt get out and look!

5. just because you have your licence, does not mean you know it all…because you don’t…always remember that you will always learn something new everyday

6. always stay safe, never try or attempt anything that will harm you or others, i also know this from personal experience too click on link to read what happened to me trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5787

thats about all i can think of at mo…anymore i think of i will add at a later date

After thinking long and hard…The best advise I can give to new class one drivers is

Don’t ever ever wear white socks! especially if you are wearing shorts! :smiley:

TC Strikes again :wink: .