Going home during shift

I don’t speak for Sammy but I do know that he’s Ltd.
Also, I was told by a well respected TN member about him being offered 250 per shift, in roughly the same area as Sammy. Days, nights, weekend, Ltd, PAYE, I dunno, but the offer was 250 a shift. So, it’s out there.

To get back on topic…
Muckles, nice post >)
SO, if you take your card out, go do your thing at home, come back, what do you set the manual entry as? What is that time away from the work place counted as?

steviespain:
To get back on topic…
Muckles, nice post >)
SO, if you take your card out, go do your thing at home, come back, what do you set the manual entry as? What is that time away from the work place counted as?

I’d say it was break as you’re not working, you’re doing your own thing, otherwise we’d have to book on when we get our packed lunch ready and pack our bag for work each night.

muckles:

steviespain:
To get back on topic…
Muckles, nice post >)

I’d say it was break as you’re not working, you’re doing your own thing, otherwise we’d have to book on when we get our packed lunch ready and pack our bag for work each night.

Ok, ta :slight_smile:

Something similar happened to me and I nearly got fired for it.
Working as a rigger on Dungeoness power station. our cabin was, literally, a metre from the gate where we clocked in. Car park other side of fence, a metre away from the gate.
No work on so I went out and fixed my car speaker. Took me 10 mins max. Came back in. Got called in to the office next day. I had no official reason to be outside the fence. Sackable offence. I squeaked through because they needed me on the job.

So, in a situation like the OP you better have permission to go home and get the stuff done, yes?

I’ve gone home during a shift many times. If possible take the keys home with you, that way you can leave your card in on break and no one can move your truck.

Also why is it that no matter what the topic is on here it usually gets steered towards wages? The way I see it it’s completely irrelevant to compare wages when people live in different areas with different costs of living. I live in the North West and I know my wages aren’t the best but they are good enough for me (own house, new car plus savings) but someone else living down south would struggle to survive on my wages. As long as you are happy with the job and can support your lifestyle and live comfortably it doesn’t matter what everyone else earns. For me the job is equally important. I’d rather earn less and have an easy life than earn big money and be pushed all week maxing my hours. It’s all personal preference and can’t easily be compared.

Loved reading this post. 1 thing that struck me is Sammy seems to know exactly what he wants and GETS IT. :smiley: I’ve had my class 1 C+E licence since Feb 2016 but have ever used it. I did get it with the intentions of changing my boring career as a production supervisor. Stuck with it tho thinking things would change. They haven’t. Have you SAMMYM. Got any advice on who to contact about taking on new drivers. Class 1 preferably. Any help appreciated buddy. Thanks
P.s I live in Bolton. Greater Manchester

playmate222:
Loved reading this post. 1 thing that struck me is Sammy seems to know exactly what he wants and GETS IT. :smiley: I’ve had my class 1 C+E licence since Feb 2016 but have ever used it. I did get it with the intentions of changing my boring career as a production supervisor. Stuck with it tho thinking things would change. They haven’t. Have you SAMMYM. Got any advice on who to contact about taking on new drivers. Class 1 preferably. Any help appreciated buddy. Thanks
P.s I live in Bolton. Greater Manchester

No idea in that area.

Others will jump in. I’m sure.

In the midlands if you had zero experience I could give you the names and contact details (and my full time as an into) for a bit of easy trailer drop and swapping and trunking to get started. Then I’d say get in with the big companies who will want an assessment. I get paid for assessments (min of 8 hours) so it’s not too bad, but only get paid if you pass.

That being said Royal Mail are desperate for drivers at the moment (Pertemps and ADR). And they will take a new pass on via agency. Two agencies have chased me to go for an assessment. If you have no unspent convictions it’s a good way to make some serious money.

I could earn a couple of quid an hour more at Royal Mail. But I’m at a supermarket and I’m treated really well. I average about 2 or 3 hours driving a night and made over £950 for the week that just has been. They are asking me to do their shunter course - and it will pay even better. Plus it’s another skill. So I’ll not jump ship at this point.

I’m only driving until the end of December and then I’m away for atleast 4 months. So I’m only interested in making money at the moment. Supermarkets are nothing like people describe on here. Easy work for decent money, and no stress. If you can get in on agency for a supermarket DIRECT (Not a DHL/XPO contract) then do it. Some of the stores both local and big ones are tight - but just take your time and no rushing. It’s a little boring - but take a book.

I could do as many suggest on here - walk around with my bag, hi viz and boots and beg for a job paying £500 take home if I’m lucky - but which would involve all the crap work and nights out. Or I can be cocky enough to put myself forward for decent assignments and miss out on much of the ‘beginner’ phase of this job. It’s worked for me. I have worked for loads of smaller and rubbish companies - and I don’t regret that. But I am duty bound to earn as much as possible for as little as possible.

Biggest tip - notwork with other drivers. If you know there is a distribution centre that you fancy hang around and ask drivers if they are agency. Sounds sad - but going directly to the person who deals with the contract rather than through layers of rubbish really works. Another driver put me onto my current gig. I had applied online a couple of weeks earlier. One call direct to his mobile and I was working in less than a week.

Sammym some great advice there buddy. Plenty of it too. Thanks for that. I’ll defo be taking your advice seriously. Thanks again.