Fuel run to belgium - green cards

If anybody is paying for a full green card just to go over and fill up their vehicle I know how you can save between £900-£1000 off you insurance
you can pm me for details (in the mean time I shall contact the site to see if I’m allowed to put the details on this page openly)

I have now been told it is ok to post the brokers details so :-

Truckinsure (croydon)
Paul Batchelor
0208 274 6570 (direct line)

Quote my name ( if you want not on commission :laughing: ) & fuel run insurance

I now have the details of the amount of refund:-

premium £ 970.17
IPT £ 48.51
total credit £1018.68

Why are you going to save 900 quid?

You dont need a green card to go to Belgium or anywhere else in Europe (EU)

You dont pay for a green card anyway.

There is an agreement between all members of the EEC about this.

What you do need though is a Vignette and an EC authorisation plus V5

Unless you only want to be covered to the the basic insurance requirements in whatever country you are in, normally 3rd party, you will need a Green Card.

The EU agreement only covers you for the minimum legal requirement in each member state There have been a few cases of people finding this out the hard way, much to there cost, including one OD I know who suffered a total loss of his vehicle in an accident and thought he had fully comp insurance but with no Green Card he didn’t.

You do pay for a Green Card as your insurance premium will be more expensive with it than without it and the price will depend on what countries you are covered for.

Anybody who is going over on a fuel run and only going to Tobbacco Road for fuel wouldn’t need the vignette as they won’t be on the motorway in Belgium. They also wouldn’t be operating for hire and reward so I don’t think they would need the Community Authorisation either.

The Green Card is a document which is recognized in over 40 countries including all the countries of Europe with the exception of Lithuania, Belarus and Russia. However a Green Card cannot be obtained for Serbia, Montenegro which comprises the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and Iraq as Green Card agreements do not exist between these countries and the UK. The Green Card offers no insurance cover but is proof that the minimum legal requirements for third party liability insurance in any country for which the Green Card is valid are covered by the insured’s own motor policy.

It is correct that a Green Card is not required by law to cross borders within the European Union. This is because every EU country complies with the First Directive on Motor Insurance (which says that every insurance policy issued in the EU must offer the minimum insurance cover required by law in any other EU country) and every EU country has signed an international agreement known as the “Multilateral Guarantee Agreement” which means that Green Cards are not necessary to enter those countries. Other non-EU Signatories of this agreement are The Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
There is however, a practical consideration beyond the strict legal position outlined above and that is that even within EU countries where frontier inspection is no longer required, the Green Card is still the insurance document most readily recognized and understood by national police forces. As you may need to produce evidence of insurance other than at a border (i.e. after an accident) you may consider it advisable to carry a Green Card to avoid inconvenience whilst your UK insurance is translated.

A green card is only proof of 3rd party insurance, no more.
The police interpretation of the vignette in Belgium covers all the roads, not just motorways. thats why the police use to set up shop on the N49 near Zelzate. Any truck over 12 tonne was subject to the tax

North Surrey…
you have a PM!!! :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
Why are you going to save 900 quid?

I dont know the ins & outs of it you’ll have to speak to my broker on the number now provided

Wheel Nut:
You dont pay for a green card anyway.

you must have to pay otherwise how will I get a refund?

Question 5 from MIB Website!
Why am I asked to pay an additional premium for my Green Card ?

The additional premium is not for the Green card document itself, but covers the cost of extending your full (non-compulsory) UK cover to the foreign countries you propose to visit. Some insurers will extend your UK policy for foreign travel for a limited period at no extra charge.

Read the full page here. mib.org.uk/GIgreencard.asp?id=3#q3

Having read that link from Wheel Nut (ta!) I now see it is a reduction in the cost of extending the cover to “fully comp” (or the equivolent) as it is in the uk
:laughing:

added figures to initial post