French approve ban on domestic flights!

Blimey! If the aviation industry is not on it’s knees already Law makers have approved a ban on domestic flights & travellers will have to take the train instead to lower carbon emissions :open_mouth: dtnext.in/News/World/2021/0 … lights.vpf

lancpudn:
Blimey! If the aviation is not on it’s knees already Law makers have approved a ban on domestic flights & travellers will have to take the train instead to lower carbon emissions :open_mouth: dtnext.in/News/World/2021/0 … lights.vpf

Guess who owns SNCF [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6] but don’t own any air lines [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

New pastures

Its just the start of things to come … …lets be honest the sky’s have been a lot cleaner and air seems fresher.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

blue estate:

lancpudn:
Blimey! If the aviation is not on it’s knees already Law makers have approved a ban on domestic flights & travellers will have to take the train instead to lower carbon emissions :open_mouth: dtnext.in/News/World/2021/0 … lights.vpf

Guess who owns SNCF [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6] but don’t own any air lines [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

So they could still fly between anywhere in France via …Cologne or Geneva. :wink: :laughing:

Oh and notice they haven’t used similar logic regarding passenger or air freight journeys on the basis that a coach or a truck is more fuel efficient than a plane.Nor banned private executive jet flights.
Like the silly autoroute and RN speed limit clamp downs it’s all about creating a market and increasing revenues for the fast rail interests and EDF energy.
Until the first and last major French nuclear disaster. :bulb:

It’s also obvious that the plan is a Trojan Horse to cover the real agenda which is all about removing the premise on the right to travel and the choice of mode of transport.
Except for the elites which is probably why the autoroute network hasn’t already been torn up.
No one with any class or sense wants to travel by air short haul cattle class or drag their luggage around train stations and between rail or air and taxi transfers.
It’s still going to be either executive jet or limo for the elites.

Google search train times in France.
Paris Marseilles for example 3hr20min.
That’s nearly 500 miles centre to centre. Planes are quicker, but getting on and off them, security, and getting to and fro airports? How many flights a day and how many trains?
It may be a hit for aviation, but not a great hardship for many passengers.

All the signed up Paris accord countries that will be attending the COP26 in Glasgow this year will be trying to outdo each other in emission reductions to look good whilst all 25000 delegates will be travelling in on aeroplanes :astonished:

blue estate:

lancpudn:
Blimey! If the aviation is not on it’s knees already Law makers have approved a ban on domestic flights & travellers will have to take the train insteandad to lower carbon emissions :open_mouth: dtnext.in/News/World/2021/0 … lights.vpf

Who ?
The French government owns 14.3% of Air France
And the Dutch 14% of the joint KLM venture

Franglais:
Google search train times in France.
Paris Marseilles for example 3hr20min.
That’s nearly 500 miles centre to centre. Planes are quicker, but getting on and off them, security, and getting to and fro airports? How many flights a day and how many trains?
It may be a hit for aviation, but not a great hardship for many passengers.

In the last years before I retired I travelled a great deal by air for my work (my record was 158 flights in one calendar year, both long and short-haul). Really. And I hated each and every flight I took. I willingly took high speed trains (in Spain, Portugal and France) where possible and found the travel pleasant.

So this news is absolutely no hardship for me. SNCF works well in my experience.

Edit: It is the middle of the night (for me) and it just flashed in to my brain that I typed 458 when in fact it was 158. Old age creeping up on me?

OwenMoney:

blue estate:

lancpudn:
Blimey! If the aviation is not on it’s knees already Law makers have approved a ban on domestic flights & travellers will have to take the train insteandad to lower carbon emissions :open_mouth: dtnext.in/News/World/2021/0 … lights.vpf

Who ?

And I believe the French government has, very recently, just increased its stake in Air France.

Dipster:

OwenMoney:

blue estate:

lancpudn:

Who ?

And I believe the French government has, very recently, just increased its stake in Air France.

Yeah right as opposed to its 84% stake in EDF energy and obviously the outright owner of SNCF.

Carryfast:

Dipster:

OwenMoney:

blue estate:

lancpudn:

Who ?

Yeah right as opposed to its 84% stake in EDF energy and obviously the outright owner of SNCF.

Shocking isn’t it?
A Government taking an interest in providing National transport networks and National power supplies!
Whatever next, where can our poor capitalist find to rip us…I mean how can private finance possibly help us…

France now want motorist to trade in their old car for an electric bike worth $2975 :open_mouth: I might be tempted to trade my old Rover 75 in for a 3 grand electric bike :grimacing: europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … tric-bikes

Franglais:
Shocking isn’t it?
A Government taking an interest in providing National transport networks and National power supplies!
Whatever next, where can our poor capitalist find to rip us…I mean how can private finance possibly help us…

Yep creating an obvious conflict of interest.Until the first and last major French nuclear disaster.I’d guess a rerun of of 1790 taking place in that case.Those French peasants won’t be happy when their fields are put beyond use and swathes of the place have to be evacuated and left a desolate irradiated wasteland. :unamused:

Brussels has just given the green light to France & other EU member states to ban short haul flights where a train journey is under two & a half hours are available on environmental grounds.
What’s the betting that as much road freight as possible will be going onto railways for environmental grounds before 2030.

lancpudn:
Brussels has just given the green light to France & other EU member states to ban short haul flights where a train journey is under two & a half hours are available on environmental grounds.
What’s the betting that as much road freight as possible will be going onto railways for environmental grounds before 2030.

If road fuel increases in price, it won`t take much of a shove to do that anyway.

Rail makes more sense over longer distances, as the intermodal transfer times decrease as a proportion of the whole journey.
Purely anecdotal, but there are a lot of Italian intermodal trailers on trains going through Le Boulou (into Spain) and German and Nordic ones running through Swiss, Plus unacc trls on coast ferries Spain/Italy.
The UK is smaller so won`t benefit from rail in the same way.

Carryfast:

Franglais:
Shocking isn’t it?

Yep creating an obvious conflict of interest.Until the first and last major French nuclear disaster.I’d guess a rerun of of 1790 taking place in that case.Those French peasants won’t be happy when their fields are put beyond use and swathes of the place have to be evacuated and left a desolate irradiated wasteland. :unamused:

Sorry Lancpudn, only just saw this as you added your post.

What conflict of interest? A Gov is taking an interest in 2 different aspects of its citizens lives. Its interest is in the populace…not a few national and/or foreign shareholders.

Franglais:

lancpudn:

If road fuel increases in price, it won`t take much of a shove to do that anyway.

Rail makes more sense over longer distances, as the intermodal transfer times decrease as a proportion of the whole journey.
Purely anecdotal, but there are a lot of Italian intermodal trailers on trains going through Le Boulou (into Spain) and German and Nordic ones running through Swiss, Plus unacc trls on coast ferries Spain/Italy.

Seems like a carbon copy of the Soviet Union’s transport policy.
Good luck when the realities of a smashed road and aviation sector hit home.
The so called ‘benefits’ of a rail dominated system can only come at the expense of sending the road transport industry back to the 1920’s.
While our defence industry and defence is based on the strength of the aerospace sector.
All that based on the lie that CO2 cooked Venus.

Franglais:

lancpudn:

Yes you’re right, I read a while ago that Germany was going to mandate that at least 25% of all road freight was to be put onto the railways before 2030 but that was before the change of government.